I bought a new bathroom scale and it gave me an inaccurate reading. Why is it doing that?

Options
I bought a new bathroom scale. I'm 14stones and 5lbs. I know that I haven't gained weight because I work out a lot and I eat well and lost weight recently. This morning when I weighed myself on the new scale it showed as 15stones. That can't be right, because I have another scale and it always gives me accurate readings. What is going on?

Replies

• msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Have you tested it with a weight? I would make sure before taking another step.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Test your scales by placing a known weight on them to see if it gives an accurate reading.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you already had an accurate scale why did you buy a new one?

Put something with a weight you know, like a 4 lb bag of flour or a dumbbell, on the scale to check its accuracy.

I agree with this... even if the new scale is a bit "off", you can usually calibrate it downward to accurately weight the known object. Then, theoretically, it should weigh you accurately.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If it's reading is different from what you expect, it will still be able to tell the difference when you drop a whole pound, ...5 pounds, or how ever many pounds. A smart Dr. told me to just pick a scale and stick with that scale. Your scale knows what a pound is and it will tell you when you lose a pound.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    Have you ever thought that your 1st scale might be off?

That was my first thought too!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most of us dont weigh exactly the same every day and weight definitely fluctuates throughout the day. Lots of possibilities for variations.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Different scales commonly give different readings. Choose one scale to use to measure your progress with.
    I personally would put a weight on the scales and see which one is closest to correct.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890563/
    "Accuracy and consistency of weights provided by home bathroom scales"
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-calibrate-your-digital-weight-scale

Every scale needs to be calibrated, especially after it is moved. And then regularly, every few months.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Maybe your old scale is wrong. Scales lose their validity over time due to just normal use.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing- my new scale weighs me heavier than my old one. I had bought a new one instead of just buying a battery- now my old scale says i gained weight also- yuck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I see that they can both be wrong honestly.. this why you use one and only one. If the old one absolutely has your correct weight, why buy a new one?

Now if you put a known weight on the scale and it is off there is an issue. If it came with batteries, replace those.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't come back. Has she discovered the new scale was probably the more accurate one and ragequit? Taken a sledge hammer to the new lying scale?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't come back. Has she discovered the new scale was probably the more accurate one and ragequit? Taken a sledge hammer to the new lying scale?

Rage quit, definitely ragequit! :laugh: :laugh:
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    All scales are inaccurate. Unless they have been calibrated in situ by someone with the proper equipment, and then recalibrated on a regular basis, they are just an estimate. The point of them is to track a change in weight, and they will do that just fine if you pick one and stick with it, as others have said. And I'm afraid the new one is likely to be more accurate, as it was calibrated more recently.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would look at the surface it's on! If it's on hardwood floor, an uneven tile, etc. it's pretty common to get funky readings!