Can't Stop With Sugar

Options
It seems like I'm having a major problem. I can't stop eating sugar lately...I find myself binging on candy until I feel literally sick from it. Things like laffy taffy, skittles, anything fruit flavored and of course chocolates. It hasn't done anything to my weight progress yet but I hate how it's making me feel. It's literally making me feel extremely sick but I seem to still have an insane craving for it. I don't understand why this has become such an issue now. Am I lacking some vitamin or nutrient? Anyone have advice?

Ladies? Could this be a hormone issue? This is not like a regular craving, because yes I do get those, but I always manage to make a healthier choice. This has just been insane for the past few days.

Replies

• flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love sugar too, my cravings have gotten worse in the last couple of weeks. I think its because winter is coming but I cant be 100% sure on that. I have resorted to leaving myself with a couple of hundred extra calories at the end of the day so I can have a bigger dessert portion without going over my calories.
  • monkeymom2015
    monkeymom2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nutella and frozen fruit like blueberries help curve my sweet tooth but that just me. I dream of sweets, too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Eating sugar makes you crave more sugar. Get the stuff out of the house and don't spend any more $$ on it! If you don't have it, you can't binge on it.

No, it makes *you* crave sugar. It doesn't make *me* crave sugar.

OP, either get rid of all your sugar-related foods that you're overeating and never eat them again, or learn to moderate. For me, if it fits in my day without making me miss out on other foods I want, it's fine. If it's pushing out meals and I'm hungry, then I don't find it worth it.
  • jah0001
    jah0001 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually crave feuit flavored candies too and if that happens I usually eat fruits and drink a lot of water. I love chocs too, so I put them in a cupboard so I can't see them.
  • eat4dathealth
    eat4dathealth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for the advice. I'm going to try to keep it more moderate. Usually I can have a small portion and be alright but the last few days it's been insane. I don't think it's wrong to indulge a bit, I just don't want sweets taking up more calories than actual food. I'll try out some of these tips.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Make a plan of action and empower yourself.

1. Get Sugar out of your house in every form
    2. Buy some fruit like banana and put some in your oatmeal or freeze it smashed and creamed so it tastes like ice cream. Google tips for substituting healthy foods to curb a sweet tooth
    3. make an effort to improve your nutrition so your body feels fed.

If you do all these things you can beat this out of control behavior in a week or two..

you just have to decide you really want to do it... those cravings are a real thing but they can be defeated with a little bit of work.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Wannabmarathoner Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Google the bad effects sugar has on your body and you might feel compelled to leave it alone. Good luck! You can do this!
  • grandmagege
    grandmagege Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hate to say I'm bad to. And have a hard time controlling my craving. My big craving is chocolate chip frappa after work. I have to stay away from the other end of town and go straight home.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about digging deep and figuring out what the sweets are doing for you? It's not hunger, so what is it?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I hate to say I'm bad to. And have a hard time controlling my craving. My big craving is chocolate chip frappa after work. I have to stay away from the other end of town and go straight home.

I'd say this is your habitual reward for an honest day's work.

Here's some things a frappa is doing for you. It is warm and creamy; soothing. It takes a while to drink so it gives you some wind-down time. It's a reminder that you gosh-darn deserve it.

I'm building an ideal low cal treat I can order at a specialty shop just like regular people. So far I've narrowed it down to a chai tea based on a tea bag not the flavoured syrups, with frothed skim milk. I add a dusting of cinnamon and cocoa, as well as a sweetener package. It does it for me.

A non-food after work reward might be a short walk through a pocket park with maybe a minute feeding the ducks/pigeons.

• dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Only recently has this become a problem for me, I also need to dig my heels in and stop it before it kills my goals.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sugar free hard candy to suck on helps me in a moment of weakness.
  • grandmagege
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I'd say this is your habitual reward for an honest day's work.

Here's some things a frappa is doing for you. It is warm and creamy; soothing. It takes a while to drink so it gives you some wind-down time. It's a reminder that you gosh-darn deserve it.

I'm building an ideal low cal treat I can order at a specialty shop just like regular people. So far I've narrowed it down to a chai tea based on a tea bag not the flavoured syrups, with frothed skim milk. I add a dusting of cinnamon and cocoa, as well as a sweetener package. It does it for me.

A non-food after work reward might be a short walk through a pocket park with maybe a minute feeding the ducks/pigeons.

Yeah I work hard and deserve it. Your right on that
  • grandmagege
    Options
    Ok I just wrote in the quote and I guess it was the wrong place to do it. So now if I remember all I said. First was yes I work hard and deserve it. And I don't like any kind of tea. I been to my goal so many time that if I get down there I hope it for the last time.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Ok I just wrote in the quote and I guess it was the wrong place to do it. So now if I remember all I said. First was yes I work hard and deserve it. And I don't like any kind of tea. I been to my goal so many time that if I get down there I hope it for the last time.
    You absolutely did it right by writing under the quote!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    So perhaps you can build yourself a coffee treat that is a little lower cal, or replace your reward with a non-food treat.
  • tanyaltrl
    tanyaltrl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit! I have a serious sweet tooth and got addicted to dates couple years back. Strange thing is, with all the fiber and being a whole plant based food, I could eat a pound a day and was still losing weight. I even healed my PCOS and got my period back. All just because I was satisfying my sweet tooth with unlimited dates (and bananas). Then I googled dates and bananas and hormones and stumbled upon Freelee the Banana Girl on youtube. Her latest stuff is a joke, but if you go back to 2013-2014 its definitely worthwhile! Makes sense why people crave so much sugar--we need it! Also I dont subscribe to eating unlimited calories. I eat 1800 and I'm beyond satisfied :smiley:
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Thumbs down on the freelee endorsement.