How do you incorporate 100-120gm of Protein?

Options
My carb intake is a little higher than my protein which is easily met. But I can not seem to eat enough protein despite eating in calorie surplus sometimes. Can you guys help me with some protein enhanced meals somehow?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lots of lean meat and Greek yogurt or cottage cheese here.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat? Eggs/egg whites or even a protein bar for breakfast. Meat with your lunch (tuna, shrimp, turkey), a snack that includes protein (greek yogurt, certain cheese have a good amount of protein), meat with dinner. Basically if you get 30g of protein 4x per day you meet your goal. I find 120 to be very easy and a bit of a sweet spot, even in a deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    100-120 grams of protein is a lot for a female. Unless you have specific needs, it's unnecessarily high. Eating more carbs than protein is completely normal.
  • arditarose
    Options
    100-120 grams of protein is a lot for a female. Unless you have specific needs, it's unnecessarily high. Eating more carbs than protein is completely normal.

Depends on your weight and goals. It is not high for me. That is a generalization.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Depends on your weight and goals. It is not high for me. That is a generalization.

And generalizations work for most. And that's why I said "unless you have specific needs".
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Other the normal protein rich low fat food, like turkey or chicken breast, I'd suggest a bottle of a protein drink to boost protein intake. I use Vitamin Shoppe's Isotech42, which provides 42 grams of the stuff (w/o any additional carbs and virtually no fat), which I can down easily w/a meal or by itself. This is to be distinguished from protein powder that requires preparation or mixing w/water, milk or other foods b4 it can be used.
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am bulking. Hence 120gm. I try eating eggs, chicken, peanut, cheese. I don't like yogurt and I hate fish. Even while eating eggs in breakfast, chicken in dinner, peanut/cheese as snacks and again chicken in dinner, I can not meet my protein intake. I may have to try other sources like protein bar and protein powder.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I am bulking. Hence 120gm. I try eating eggs, chicken, peanut, cheese. I don't like yogurt and I hate fish. Even while eating eggs in breakfast, chicken in dinner, peanut/cheese as snacks and again chicken in dinner, I can not meet my protein intake. I may have to try other sources like protein bar and protein powder.

So yeah...supplement.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got 128 g of protein by eating 192 g of chicken breast, 5.85 oz of tofu, 156 g of beans, 72 g of ham and 2 eggs with additional small bits of protein from fruits and vegetables. I call that day a failure because I wasn't satisfied. I won't repeat that much tofu. I'll choose to use more of those calories for more vegetables.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Also remember protein is not quite as important during a bulk as it is during weight loss.
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Also remember protein is not quite as important during a bulk as it is during weight loss.

I tried upping carbs but it just made me look a bigger version of what I am. I am not sure if protein upping would help or not but it's just something I want to try and see if it works. And yes, supplement is the key here I think.
  • sitzenhuser
    sitzenhuser Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Meat, chicken is high and steak
  • sitzenhuser
    sitzenhuser Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also drink premier protein shakes with 30g protein and 3g carbs
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think 120 g may be more than you need, even for a bulk.

That said, eggs, peanuts, cheese are all not that high in protein for the calories, because they are higher in fat.

Low fat dairy, eggwhites (I don't use them, but might if I was trying to bulk up my breakfast protein without foods I currently use), other lean meats like shrimp (unless than counts as fish, so you don't like it), turkey, pork chops/loin, lean beef, venison, etc.

Supplementing is fine too -- if I want a breakfast otherwise lower in protein than I like, I have some protein powder with it (in a smoothie or oats). PB2 instead of peanut butter if you like it (I do in oats or some smoothies).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I tried upping carbs but it just made me look a bigger version of what I am. I am not sure if protein upping would help or not but it's just something I want to try and see if it works. And yes, supplement is the key here I think.

Carbs are king if you're actually doing a bulk cycle...protein generally remains constant at around 1 gram per Lb of LBM...carbs are really important for an efficient and effective bulk cycle.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have 100g of protein a day (I work out 4-5 days a week and weight train at least 4). I drink a protein supplement to help and it really helps . I also eat a lot of eggs and tuna and low calorie cheeses
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't use supplements and prefer to keep liquid calories to a minimum. Chicken, lean steak/ground beef, low fat Greek yogurt, and eggs/egg whites are my favourite protein sources.
  • MissMarlyIc
    MissMarlyIc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whey protein smoothies/shakes, egg white bakes, tuna with yoghurt, cottage cheese, chicken and seafood dishes..
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Iso 100 whey Protein Isolate.
    Gourmet Chocolate!

My favorite for taste and mix ability.

08kn12p3oq6c.png
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't. I eat protein at every single meal and go out of my way to incorporate protein-rich foods even during snacks and even add protein powder to oatmeal, eat protein bars, have spoonfuls of nut butter, etc. etc. etc. EVERY DAY and some days I STILL don't make it to the protein recommendation for my calories and macros. Just do the best you can!