Menopause. ..sorry

Options
Hi, It took a year to lose 30 lb. SInce February I've gained it back . I'm going through the menopause and feel in never gonna lose it again. Any advice to help me survive it would be great. Thanks

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    scarlet67 wrote: »
    Hi, It took a year to lose 30 lb. SInce February I've gained it back . I'm going through the menopause and feel in never gonna lose it again. Any advice to help me survive it would be great. Thanks

What were your daily calories during the past year that you lost the 30 lbs? I am also going through/just about done with menopause and my usual caloric goals would no longer work. I did just lose some pounds on much lower calories than I'm used to.

My mother was also struggling when she was in her late 60s, but she ended up really getting strict about it and she dropped 30 lbs.

It can be done but it is harder when you are older and menopausal.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I went through menopause in my thirties. Just lost over 100lbs. Don't worry. Menopause isn't a barrier to losing weight. It does play havoc with your hormones though.
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I struggle trying to kose weight, I will never give up. I just need to eat healthy foods. My greatest downfall is biscuits and temptation. Good Luck everyone, we will all get to our goals eventually. Just need support along the journey.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I went through surgical menopause 11 years ago at 49. Personally, I haven't found losing weight any more difficult this time. I think we hear "how hard it is to lose after menopause", but barring any additional medical issues you should do just fine!
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was using menopause as an excuse also...then I finally admitted to myself that, nope...it's just me eating way more than I should be! It is coming off slowly, but it is coming off. Be diligent with your food choices and with logging your food and you will lose again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fellow menopauser here. Don't be sorry!

It sounds like you're figuring out what you need to do.

If you want more support, we have a great group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Wife's down 57 pounds post menopause. She didn't get the memo, tear yours up, not true.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of anecdotal information about menopause and weight gain - here is a pretty useful exploration of the subject that includes science: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/menopause-weight-gain/art-20046058
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    i'm 51, got serious about bike commuting again about 3 years ago and took up lifting after about 9 months of that. idk where i am with menopause thanks to hormonal iud, but i imagine it's under way by this time, because stuff. [insert gross girl's-sleepover perimenopause-period stories right here. plus, hot flashes]

do it anyway because you might as well. here's a cluster of my various reasons at various times over the past four or five years:

-hot flashes totally, totally suck. but from my experience so far, they're worse and far more psychologically upsetting when you don't feel like you have the rest of your body's *kitten* together. feeling in physical control of what you actually can physically control is a help.

-why not? it's fun to be 50-something and weigh what you weighed when you were 25, or even close to it. even if things have moved on a little since then, on the individual-physical details front. looking at YOU, obese inner knees >:[

- what have you got in mind that's better to do, project-wise? once again, you might as well, right? unless trying to lose it again is taking you away from other awesome later-life projects you have in mind. not to imply that you don't have such projects, honestly. just one of the ways that i looked at it. so some people retire to ibiza; i'm going to press 80 pounds and deadlift any guy who looks sideways at me. i want to be a terrifying little old lady that nobody in their right minds would try to pat on the head.

- osteoporosis. it's no effing joke, and i already have presbyopia, wrinkles, boob droop and other stuff. i do not want to spend half of what's left of my life in the additional pain and indignity of crumbly bones. i started lifting heavy at least 30% because this is my last chance to stuff calcium in there and toughen them up.

- it's just plain fun to be older than some people's moms, and able to do things no-one expects you'll be able to do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    My mom is 78 and struggles to stay above Underweight due to her very high activity level. She's recently added strength training to her regimen and wishes she'd started decades earlier due to its positive affects on bone health.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, I never, ever imagined feeling this good about my fitness level and body at 55 years old. Living a healthy lifestyle and maintaining a healthy weight has significant benefits at any age.
    You're going to IMPROVE instead of doing a steady DECLINE if you put in the effort.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I gotta say, I never, ever imagined feeling this good about my fitness level and body at 55 years old. Living a healthy lifestyle and maintaining a healthy weight has significant benefits at any age.
    You're going to IMPROVE instead of doing a steady DECLINE if you put in the effort.

All of this. I'm 54 and am in better shape than I've ever been in my life. And that's with arthritis! I haven't been this thin since I was in grade school!

Being past menopause is no hindrance to losing weight or getting in shape. I lost 70 pounds in my first year of dieting, and 21 additional pounds this year so far. I'm working to get down another 4-9 pounds.
  • pattymom1000
    pattymom1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    good to read these posts. I am 63. Nice to be reminded no matter what our age, eating less and moving more and doing weight training can be done. Plus so many benefits like feeling better. I want to sleep better and ahve more energy all day long. Thankful for the inspirational examples and ideas here. Thank you people!