Lost a lot of pounds, but then lost motivation.

Options
I started my MFP journey several years ago with a group I worked with, and lost over 100 pounds. However, after leaving my job (and being home more now with family, etc.), I've found that I just don't have the motivation that I used to, and I've gained 50+ pounds back.

I don't need advice on WHAT to do; I know exactly what it takes. But what do you do to stay motivated when you're no longer surrounded by people on the same journey on a daily basis?

Replies

• safully1
    safully1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had similar struggles. Never had the 100 lbs loss, but a 20lb fluctuation has happened more than once. What worked for me was setting new goals and switching workout programs. Finish a workout program, then switch to something totally different for 6-8 weeks just to mix it up. For me, habits are great until changes in job, family, or stress happens then the habits no longer fit the lifestyle.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I think you need to make it so you don't need motivating at all. All motivation is temporary. Build habits and find a lifestyle you can enjoy forever. You don't need to have the best diet or exercise plans, you need sustainable plans.

This! No one stays motivated forever. It's all about permanently changing your habits and lifestyle.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Make it about discipline. Motivation only gets you ready, discipline will get you going. Do you go to work, if you do, than you can log and exercise too.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    some times we just need to reach deep down inside and just get a determination that is just unrelenting. its a mental game. physically, you lost 100lbs..you know you can do it. its not like trying something that "might" work which is so much harder. but having a determination that is based up what you know will be a success....heck man...what else in life gives you that guarantee??????.

so you lost your job...you know how much of our lives is sometimes totally out of our control...this health thing..eating withing calorie limits, dropping the weight you need to drop.....thats ALL you...its one of the few things in life we can have total and complete control over. just do it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I think you need to make it so you don't need motivating at all. All motivation is temporary. Build habits and find a lifestyle you can enjoy forever. You don't need to have the best diet or exercise plans, you need sustainable plans.

All of this.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    irjeffb wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    so you lost your job...you know how much of our lives is sometimes totally out of our control...this health thing..eating withing calorie limits, dropping the weight you need to drop.....thats ALL you...its one of the few things in life we can have total and complete control over. just do it.
    I didn't lose my job; I voluntarily left to be able to be with my family more. I made great money, but I was gone from home 11 hours a day, and it got to a point where I wanted to be with my family more than we needed the money. That part has been a huge blessing. I work part-time for my church, primarily from home, but I make it to every event for my kids and am able to take care of everything to support my wife going back to school for her MBA, etc.

oh my apologies for misspeaking
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    When I was going alone it was a tough grind day to day. Depression crept back in so it was even more difficult for awhile. I also didn't have many friends around.

I have made 5 new friends who now go to the gym with me. Couple of older friends don't go anymore so I have recruited some younger guys to go with me. I am lucky in that I can make friends easily. All of these guys are below 14 percent body fat so that is added motivation. 6 days of the week these guys push me. So even when I am not motivated I still have to go. They are giving me 2 months to drop significant amounts of body fat.

You are going to have to find the motivation somehow somewhere deep within you if you are alone.

Good luck on your journey.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I go back and forth between thinking that motivation is overrated and thinking that perhaps that view of motivation defines it too narrowly. Wanting to have a forever enjoyable lifestyle can be a motivation, after all.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Losing weight and maintaining weight are two different skills. IMO, maintenance is harder. Even without your change in circumstance, the weight might have crept back on.

You don't get as much external positive feedback from the scale and from people who notice your progress when you maintain. You don't have an end goal since maintenance is for the rest of your life. Success is measured by lack of change rather than by change.

Some people can find a way to maintain without staying vigilant about food intake. Some cannot.

I have yet to succeed at maintaining but my plan this time is to keep doing what I'm doing to lose weight but with a few more calories available.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Maybe head over to the success stories page, or the motivation section...I know I've found a lot of helpful stuff in there sometimes. Especially seeing how good it feels to lose weight.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't know whether it would be a hard or easy thing to do, but perhaps you could start a local group for people who want to lose weight. Perhaps it's something you could do with the support of your local health centre? Perhaps a daily walking/running group, or something like that? Or something you could organise through your Church?
  • radhikanarayan8533
    Options
    Well I am in the same boat too , having lost over 10 kg 2 years ago, couldn't stay motivated , now I am 15 kg heavier than I was 3 years ago.. thanks to job changes and difficult personal situation .. I have started my journey all over again.. want to stay motivated ..
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My personal philosophy is: Motivation is WHY you are doing it, and Inspiration is what KEEPS you doing it. Sounds like your work group was your inspiration. I don't have much inspiration around me, so I look to fitness YouTubers to inspire me to keep pushing. I watch their videos every day. Its been working for me so far :)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Your motivation is not going to maintain itself if it relies on other people and what they do and the journey they are on. this is about YOUR journey. Make the weight loss about You and your health. You obviously care deeply about your family - if you want to be there for them for the long haul, for every event and celebration, to provide comfort and support in all they do, then you better look after your health and get a grip on your weight or they will be saying at your gravesite "if only he had found the motivation to look after himself instead of always looking after others".

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    I don't know whether it would be a hard or easy thing to do, but perhaps you could start a local group for people who want to lose weight. Perhaps it's something you could do with the support of your local health centre? Perhaps a daily walking/running group, or something like that? Or something you could organise through your Church?

I was thinking the same thing. Is that something that would interest you, OP?

I know that my SIL started a food sensivities (not sure what to call it) group in her church. They met regularly to discuss medical issues, share recipes, etc. It seemed pretty successful.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Do a cost/benefit analysis. How's your health? What does your future look like? If you're in good health, focus on maintaining that so that you can have as much time as possible with the people you love.