LOW CALORIE INTAKE

Options
Im new to the site & for the past 2 days my food diary has been saying too little calorie intake in red letters. I really want to be successful however I feel its not healty to eat if im not hungry (thats how I got over weight in the 1st place :embarassed: ) I am eating 3 meals & 3 snacks. Idk how or why I should change that. Any advice?

Thanks
Liz

Replies

• jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    higher calorie foods. nuts, whole milk, full fat everything.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Probably not a good idea if you're trying to lose weight.. Maybe open your diary to the public? What are you eating for your meals/snacks?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Probably not a good idea if you're trying to lose weight.

It is if it's good fats, like nuts, avocado, fish, olives/olive oil, etc.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    try eating less more often 6 or 7 small meals
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Agreed, I just meant full fat everything was a bad idea (i.e. mayonnaise, ice creams, etc).
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat to few calories I just switch it up a bit and instead of skim milk ill use soy or almond milk....as long as you are getting at least 1200 calories a day you are fine. It takes awhile to get it all in. Sound weird because we are heavy we have a hard time getting these calories in. Thats because we are use to eating all unhealthy calories which add up fast.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Agreed, I just meant full fat everything was a bad idea (i.e. mayonnaise, ice creams, etc).

That, I definitely agree with.
  • beautifulqueen1973
    Options
    Yes I am trying to lose 63 pounds...heres my meal for today & it says i was 266 calories below target (and I did not workout today to earn additional cal)
    thanks for the help

Breakfast
    Cheerios - Multi-Grain, 2 Cup
    Great Value - 1% Low Fat Milk, 1 Cup

Lunch
    Homemade - Turkey and Cheese Sandwich With Lettuce and Tomato, 1/2 sandwich

Dinner
    Pork - Fresh, loin, top loin (chops), boneless, lean only, cooked, pan-fried, 1 chop, excluding refuse (yield from 1 raw chop, with refuse, weighing 113 g)
    Campbell's - Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - M, 1/4 cup (120 mL)
    Rice (White) - Steamed, 1/4 cup Add Food Quick Tools

Snacks
    Nectarines - Raw, 1 fruit (2-1/2" dia)
    Cheerios - Multi-Grain, 1 Cup
    Great Value - 1% Low Fat Milk, 0.5 Cup Mangos - Raw, 0.5 fruit without refuse
  • beautifulqueen1973
    Options
    I find if I eat to few calories I just switch it up a bit and instead of skim milk ill use soy or almond milk....as long as you are getting at least 1200 calories a day you are fine. It takes awhile to get it all in. Sound weird because we are heavy we have a hard time getting these calories in. Thats because we are use to eating all unhealthy calories which add up fast.

lol ur probably right I was thinking I never ate this much before wth? But now that u said that burgers, pizza & shakes add up faster...
    thanks
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Im new to the site & for the past 2 days my food diary has been saying too little calorie intake in red letters. I really want to be successful however I feel its not healty to eat if im not hungry (thats how I got over weight in the 1st place :embarassed: ) I am eating 3 meals & 3 snacks. Idk how or why I should change that. Any advice?

Thanks
    Liz

Going off of just when you feel like you are hungry isn't a good idea. When you are first starting out, If you just worked out when you felt like it, even though you know it is healthy, you would almost never go, right? So why would you use "when you feel like it" as the reason to eat?

You are changing your diet and the way your metabolism works. You need to ensure you eat enough food to supply your body with the energy it needs to keep your body running at a high rate. Starvation mode is REAL, no matter what other people might tell you.

The 1200 calorie guideline is just that. A GUIDELINE. MFP builds a profile for YOU. You need to be eating the calories it is telling you to eat.

Starving yourself is not the way to lose weight - at least not if you want to retain or build muscle, and if you want to stay healthy. Anorexic people say "I don't feel like eating" right?

Change what you eat, eat healthy, and make sure you get enough. Your body will thank you for it.
  • mistyb47711
    Options
    like lunch try adding something else with it like cucumbers, something like that....I know I hate it when all i eat is just a sandwich and nothing with it.....I got stuck only eating some foods and i ate them almost every week and got bored and fell off, but im determind to find what fits me food wise....just explore and have fun with it... It also helps me if I plan my meals ahead...like I got all my meals in already for tomorrow that way I know what Im going to have and all the numbers.
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a problem with my calories too, I will eat a meal, a snack, then workout, then look at my diary and cuss. Every day I think that's alot more calories to eat. Well every day I don't work that is. I can't get this balance thing right, especially eating at intervals to keep my sugar and metabolism up.
  • mistyb47711
    Options
    I also find that protein shakes help me...I take one right after a workout that way im not to low on my calories and it keeps my sugar up. I get the Jillian Michael's Whey Protein at like $10 at Walmart.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Yes I am trying to lose 63 pounds...heres my meal for today & it says i was 266 calories below target (and I did not workout today to earn additional cal)
    thanks for the help

Breakfast
    Cheerios - Multi-Grain, 2 Cup
    Great Value - 1% Low Fat Milk, 1 Cup

Lunch
    Homemade - Turkey and Cheese Sandwich With Lettuce and Tomato, 1/2 sandwich

Dinner
    Pork - Fresh, loin, top loin (chops), boneless, lean only, cooked, pan-fried, 1 chop, excluding refuse (yield from 1 raw chop, with refuse, weighing 113 g)
    Campbell's - Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - M, 1/4 cup (120 mL)
    Rice (White) - Steamed, 1/4 cup Add Food Quick Tools

Snacks
    Nectarines - Raw, 1 fruit (2-1/2" dia)
    Cheerios - Multi-Grain, 1 Cup
    Great Value - 1% Low Fat Milk, 0.5 Cup Mangos - Raw, 0.5 fruit without refuse

i think that sounds great, but if youd have put another couple of bits of fruit of vegetables in it, it would be even better, and bumped the calories up, while getting your five a day