limited & 360+ pounds & need help with workouts/physical act

Options
10 year class reunion august 19th... how much do u think I can loose, a healthy way by then?
I'm 5'10 1/2 not sure on weight, still need a scale or dr visit... but my guess is between 370-385 hold ailot of weight in my stomach area...

anywho...workouts cant be 'workouts' per say... im not in shape and with other physical issues its not doable at this time, esp with lots of misc physical issues, knee, back, etc....

What i can do... is swim... and for long periods of time (was on swim team age 5-18).. anything is water good... water aerobics in 2 weeks i would be up to par to join. I plan on walking dogs in evenings ... but even this can be hard... only a few blocks to start and I am sore and hurting the next day and out of commission... I will try doing light easy stretching yoga before bed every night...

what are some other things I can do... that are like super "easy"... like seriously tv commercial workout length, again keep in mind the easy factor "beginner etc".... tips from those in or that were in the same boat would be helpful! xoxo

Thanks all

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    To be honest, that is NOT a lot of time. To lose a lot of weight in a healthy, sustainable way it would take months. But you could get a good start on it. I like your ideas on water exercises. That's an excellent way to start your fitness program - great if physical activity is hard on your joints, etc. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Start small and work from their. Walking is a fab start. And so is water aerobics, Try doing one of each first week and then two of each the second week. Other exercisies that spring to mind which you can do.

Squats - 3 to 5 at a time - use the back of a chair to hold onto to start with.

Bicep curls - 3 - 5 at a time with a tin / can of tomatoes of something in each hand. Either sitting of standing.

Push ups against the wall - couple at a time and build up.

either sitting down or standing - raise your hands up an down above your head - this gets the heart pumping.

Don't try and do too much at once and to start with one day on one day off until you feel a little stronger.

Good luck I know you can do this
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey,

swimming is about the best workout you can get: low impact on knees, back etc, plus it works all king or muscles :-)

Riding a bike might also be an option for you? I don't know your physical limitations, so I can only guess.
    I'd also recommend the elliptical, which has low impact on knees, as you only move legs and arms, and don't have to lift your complete weight off the floor with each step.

Just remember to start slowly, especially when you're out of shape. :-)

MM
  • califigureeight
    Options
    When you close out your food diary MFP tells you what you should weigh 5 weeks from today if every day is like today. What does that say?
  • ChunkyChicTrying
    ChunkyChicTrying Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here are a few that are JUST COMMERCIAL LENGTH

1. March / Step in place --Commericals roughly 2 mins over a few hours and wella you got a half hour

2. Dance to 1 song at your own speed, keep your ipod next to you commercial comes on dance to what ever song is playing like it or not

3. Do the head / shoulders knees and toes /knees and toes dance, I am sure you remember it from being a kid you touch each body part bend and stand go slow, at ur own pace

4. When sitting in a chair do knee / or leg lifts - you can do this for a commercial or during a show, I used to do them and then didnt realise one day I did them an entire half hour (got caught up in my fav show NCIS)

5. Take two cans of and soup or veggiees from your pantry and raise your arms slowly over your head while holding the cans, if this is too much slowly raise your arms over your head

6. If you have children and they have a wii, possibly a wii fit try to play a game or two, some are fun and times passes and you do not realise your doing as much.

7. If I walk into the kitchen for any reason even to just pass through, I stop at the counter and lean forward onto it and do counter push ups (Im about 1.5 feet away leaning towards the counter helps with the bicepts and doesnt strain ur back~!)

These are things I did when I personally first started as I too have injuries and limitations if you need more I have hundreds just give me a shout and feel free to add me!

Hearts & Hugs
    ~Chunky~
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I was in the same place when I started. I would just get up and walk around my place. If I felt I had extra energy I might dance for 1 or 2 minutes. It's just been a little over 2 months and I'm now doing 35 minutes a day of dancing plus 10 minutes of yoga/stretching. I could have increased it sooner but I'm on oxygen and waited until my doctor said to go for it. I have lost 28 lbs since I started MFP on May 1st. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Break up your swimming with water walking - walk across the pool in chest-high water as fast as you can. It's really good exercise, but low impact as you're fully supported.

As to your original question, you could probably lose15lbs healthily. You'll find the first week a lot will come off followed by about 2lbs a week. Follow MFP's recommendations - it works!
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I started in that weight range and it isn't easy. I do suggest you start walking on a regular basis and increase the length of time you walk each week by 10 minutes (or more). Anyhow, if you want you may add me.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started in that weight range and it isn't easy. I do suggest you start walking on a regular basis and increase the length of time you walk each week by 10 minutes (or more). Anyhow, if you want you may add me.

that's all I did when I started @480. had lots of back pain too. 1 mile would be 45 mins to 1 hr. this is all I did for 6 months before I even thought about doing other things. I highly recommend investing in good shoes too. it will get better in time. but consistency is key!
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What's your diet like? That's the #1 thing for someone as big as we are. I started at 464, diet, swimming and a cardio bike got me to 320's in the past.
  • Sweetmurry
    Sweetmurry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    awesome ideas, thanks soooo much.... i just get in the depression zone and basically anything is alot... I know small steps become bigger with time...
  • Sweetmurry
    Sweetmurry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I got really really really sick Dec-begin March with pneunomia... so i was literally in my bed ALL the time... so I've lost alot of strength and def have found that my body has changed... I am holding weight in different places. I hate it! My mom says I'm bigger then before but the scale reflects the same... I have weighed in recently... but have a drs appt coming up so I will be able to get more info.... I love swimming but its getting there and then the after shower and dressed... just that alone is a workout... esp because i am a warm person and hate feeling hot... i think that is one reason i love swimming so much.... My diet isnt good... I'm under caleries but not eating enough fruits and veggies as I should... I was doing the 80 10 10 eating alot of RAW straight from the earth food but its sooo expensive.... i was juiceing in the mornings as well but i cannot afford it. All I can afford is $50 a week for food. So I need to be wise with what I buy... I also know my insomnia and sleep pattern of a night owl is not good... i find being awake at night 330am here now is bad because i dont do anything at night... I'm working with the dr on sleep... i did a study a while back to confirm i did NOT have apnea (which i told them i didnt as i dont snore etc etc) i have insomnia. takes hours to fall esleep and if i wake up lets say to pee it takes a good 30 mins to fall back esleep.... anywho... I'm Isticking in the best I can... I think after a good 2 weeks of change it will be alot easier...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You've made a great start. Fresh raw fruit and veg everyday can be expensive, but in many cases frozen and tinned can be just as good. If you have a local market, you can stock up there too.

You're right, everything will get easier after a few weeks of change. Regular exercise will help your sleeping no end.

Good luck!
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk and walk some more. You can do it a leasurely pace and still burns rucks of calories, i love walking, i have bad kness and i walk 5 miles a day which has strengthened my knees and been a huge benifactor in my weight loss. Good luck xx
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You've got a lot on your plate at the moment and it can seem over whelming so be kind to your self and recognise your achievements:smile:

Eating healthy doesn't hae to be expensive. Local, in season fruit and veg tend to be cheaper if you want it fresh, but frozen is just as good for most veg. Mix it up with cheaper proteins like beans or soya products (textured vegetable protein) or what ever is on special and a bit of carb, and there you go. Porridge is always a good, cheap breakfast. Beans on (wholewheat) toast is cheap, tasty and healthy. There are lots of web sites that could help you out more - I'm in the UK so I'm not sure what would be USA equivelents to what I'd recommend.

Eating well can improve your mood - there are certain b vitamins that definately help. No need to juice or do anything 'faddy' - don't put that pressure on yourself. Just aim for a balanced diet.

Exercise can also improve the mood - and sleep!! I'd forgotten how difficult it was for me to sleep back before I started exercising regularly!!!!! I really did have a problem. Can't believe I'd forgotten that!! I'd wake up several times every night - that's if I could get to sleep in the first place. Swimming is great, but a nice walk in the fresh air, enjoying your surroundings or with your MP3 player is fantastic too - even if you don't go far to begin with.

Good luck - you will get there but step by step :smile: