Now Vs The Future

Options
I am considering whether to continue losing weight in 2016 now vs planning to lose weight again in 2017 future. 2016 has not gone according to plan as I would have hoped.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you need to lose weight? If so, why wait?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am considering whether to continue losing weight in 2016 now vs planning to lose weight again in 2017 future. 2016 has not gone according to plan as I would have hoped.

Ok.......

You may want to provide a little more detail if you want us to help you make that decision...
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think stopping planning and starting doing, could be a good way forward for you. If you're ready, you're ready. If you're not, you'll know.

Both options could be good for you. The only person who knows whether you're ready, is you.

There's no right or wrong. I took several years before I was ready to do the necessary. Good luck.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You could set your calories to maintenance and work on your logging til Jan 1st. Really focus on getting accurate with your cals, then start implementing a deficit, about 100 cals at a time until you are at the recommended deficit for the rate of loss you selected.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I bet I can guess the answer to this question last year.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What is going to change now vs 2017? There will always be external forces.
  • SuperChanges
    SuperChanges Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If 2016 hasn't gone according to plan make a change now. That way you'll be ready to take on 2017. We all know January resolutions never go to plan. So prepare now.
  • blk_beauty21
    blk_beauty21 Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Maybe set some motivation goals now (i.e. drink 8 glasses of water, walk 30min twice a week) set small goals and DO NOT worry about weight loss just activity. Then get focused on 2017.
    #beentheredonethat #Ucandoit #fitgoals
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds fairly quickly this summer and quite frankly I'm a little tired of the deficit...what I've decided to do is take a whole year to lose the next 30.

I've set my goal to a pound a week but so long as I don't go over maintenance I don't sweat it. That way I figure on good days when I feel strong I have a solid deficit to shoot for but on those days when I get to the end of my calories before the end of the day, I have a cushion of about 500 extra calories before I even hit maintenance.

Don't give up, ease up :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    The time is going to pass anyway. Why would you not spend the rest of 2016 trying to be more active and weighing/logging your food? Or just eat a smaller deficit. Set your goal to 1/2 lb per week. You'll be losing slowly, but you'd still be losing, and as you get used to eating less, you could increase your deficit later on. Or you can just keep eating the smaller deficit. It's completely up to you.

Keep in mind that you do not have to completely overhaul your diet to lose weight. You don't have to become a marathon runner or a Zumba master or Jane Fonda. You don't have to give up everything that you love, and "eat clean" or low carb or cut out bread or dairy or butter or cheese. You can eat the things that you love - just eat a bit less of it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you cannot to commit to it now, then don't do it. Can you commit to maintaining your current weight instead? That is just as valid a goal as losing if it is what you need.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I lost 30 pounds fairly quickly this summer and quite frankly I'm a little tired of the deficit...what I've decided to do is take a whole year to lose the next 30.

I've set my goal to a pound a week but so long as I don't go over maintenance I don't sweat it. That way I figure on good days when I feel strong I have a solid deficit to shoot for but on those days when I get to the end of my calories before the end of the day, I have a cushion of about 500 extra calories before I even hit maintenance.

Don't give up, ease up :)

It sounds like you restricted too severely. Set up your numbers in MFP and go for 0.5 to 1 lb per week. Just think of all the progress you'll make in the next year!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why not practice the rest of this year? You might lose some before 2017.. Practice always makes perfect, so I'm told. :)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying the benefits are only good and just stopping doesn't help yourself. We all mess up from time to time and miss a count or don't go to the gym or something. You just need to quit beating yourself up, if you overeat or don't weigh or something just get back on the horse and keep going.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

What will be different in 2017 vs today? What is your plan? What is throwing off your plan?

I would probably take a bit of time to think about if my goal/plan was realistic and if I was doing sustainable things. It is fine to stop and maintain for awhile and then go on to lose weight.