My First 5K Race

Options
Over the summer, I finished C25K. As a celebration, I signed up for a race as motivation.

As it turns out, that race is this weekend and I'm so not ready. I stopped running over the summer and just started back again last week. I started back at Week 3 of C25K, so this week, I'm on Week 4.

I feel so unprepared and I'm considering just not going.

Should I just suck it up and go, even if I'm going to walk half the course?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Go, start slow and see how it goes. Plug week 4 into you ear phones and follow it. Finish as best you can. The worst that can happen is you get the 5K in with a walk, not too bad.
  • foen_i
    foen_i Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    5k is 90% in your Head. Just push through and keep a conservative pace, Walk a minute after every mile
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely you should still go! There will be lots of people doing run/walk intervals, and people who just walk the whole way. You're not going to stand out at all. Just start a little bit farther back in the pack and try to be aware of the people around and behind you if/when you drop from a run into a walk. I've nearly run people over during 5ks because they were in the middle of a group of runners and suddenly dropped to a walk. Try to keep just a little bit of space on either side of you so that people can go around if necessary. (And by that I mean don't be shoulder-to-shoulder with the person next to you; even a little bit of space is good. That's a good general race day tip anyway, not just for run/walk people).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go! Lots of people walk. Go, have fun, enjoy it!! The ONLY time I run (if you can call it that) is during 5ks. I'm never prepared. They're fun! Just do it! If one of my friends goes with we usually walk the entire thing - no big deal! I did a 5k the last 2 weekends - one was with a friend and we walked the entire course - yesterday I was alone and jogged the entire course. Both were great fun. Just do what YOU can do and don't worry about it!
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    As has already been suggested: yes. Run, walk, run/walk, whatever. If you've never done a race before, it's worth having the experience. For some (including me), the vibe at a race is energizing and positive, regardless of how you expect to perform or actually perform. For others, it's less enjoyable. Might as well get your taste, and figure out how the race atmosphere works for you. There's no pressure, and you'll undoubtedly see people both in front of and behind you. Do what you can/want to, and soak it all in.
    </$.02>
  • davepete57
    davepete57 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I did my 1st 5K two weeks ago and the feeling of accomplishment is wonderful. I'm planning on doing one in Oct & 1 in Nov. Every run has all types of participants, runners joggers, walkers, etc. The race I did have times from just over 20 minutes to well over an hour. Good luck
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Just be prepared to walk and run, not run it all.
    Had my first beginning of September. Signed up three weeks before then was blighted with illness and injury.
    Still made it round in the time I hoped to get even though walked last half due to ankle beginning to ache ( slipped on stone during training and didn't want to mess it up again).
    Everyone was great and good thing is I know I can do better next time as hopefully will be able to run whole thing.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Do it. You already paid for it and it'll be a fun experience. There's no rule that you have to run the entire 5K. I've been running for 5 years and I didn't run for an entire 5K race until earlier this year; I've always run in intervals.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    go for it. I signed up for a 5k in September that was canceled so my very first race is a half marathon in less than 2 weeks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, go and run what you can and walk the rest! No shame in that! It will give you something to shoot for next time.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Go for the 5K. Run 1 min, walk 1min. Repeat, repeat.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it.
    there is something about being part of a huge group of people that is quite invigorating.

Cheers, h.