Why do people say weight loss is 70-80% diet and 20-30% exercise?

Options
I exercise 2-3 hours a day and according to my fitbit my total burn is around 2500 calories and I consume around 1600 which is around my sedentary tdee. So I'm technically creating a (large) deficit through lots of exercise. So why is weight loss only 20% exercise if that's my main tool for losing weight and creating the deficit?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I also create my deficit through activity. It was much easier for me to do that than to reduce what I was currently eating. I enjoy being active and feel better the more active I am. It's all about finding what works for you.

I do think it's important for people to know they can create a deficit and lose without exercise, it just isn't the best way for me.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    She's not burning 2500 cals via exercise. She's increasing her total burn to 2500 cals using exercise (so, burning about 800 cals in 2-3 hours). That doesn't sound particularly unreasonable.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    If you ate 2500 cals/day, all your exercise wouldn't lose you a pound.

Exactly. And caloric deficit is manageable and effective for most.

If someone has a 44 ounce Pepsi every day and they cut it, that is almost a pound worth of caloric deficit each week. Where as to create the same caloric deficit they would need about an hour of exercise each day.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fitbit includes BMR and activity so that's 2500 for total day burn not on top

• Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I exercise 2-3 hours a day and according to my fitbit my total burn is around 2500 calories and I consume around 1600 which is around my sedentary tdee. So I'm technically creating a (large) deficit through lots of exercise. So why is weight loss only 20% exercise if that's my main tool for losing weight and creating the deficit?

My question is, Can you isolate your calorie burn? For example what is your calorie burn for 1 day without doing a 2-3 hours of exercise? Then, just isolate what you burn with exercise. With fitbit, I am not sure you can isolate. You might be able to try to look at fitbit before exercise starts record that calorie reading. You will find just getting up and going to the gymn will produce a calorie burn. Anyway, with that base number for calorie burn, do your 1 set exercise then look at your calorie burn and subtract that number from the base calorie reading. You can do this for each set and then for each exercise and so on. You should find that normal living will/should burn about 2k cals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    She's not burning 2500 cals via exercise. She's increasing her total burn to 2500 cals using exercise (so, burning about 800 cals in 2-3 hours). That doesn't sound particularly unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable at all...but it's also not very realistic for most people...I work 10-12 hours per day and have a family...I'm good to get in 30-60 minutes most days. Also, you have to consider the long haul...how long before one burns out doing three hours worth of exercise every single day...how long before an injury keeps one sidelined for weeks on end? How about illness...or just life getting hectic and in the way?

And it still comes down to consumption...if she was eating 2500 calories per day (her total burn) then she would maintain regardless of the fact that she was exercising...if you eat to maintenance, you're going to maintain...so the diet is still the biggest factor here.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's not unreasonable at all...but it's also not very realistic for most people...I work 10-12 hours per day and have a family...I'm good to get in 30-60 minutes most days. Also, you have to consider the long haul...how long before one burns out doing three hours worth of exercise every single day...how long before an injury keeps one sidelined for weeks on end? How about illness...or just life getting hectic and in the way?

And it still comes down to consumption...if she was eating 2500 calories per day (her total burn) then she would maintain regardless of the fact that she was exercising...if you eat to maintenance, you're going to maintain...so the diet is still the biggest factor here.

I agree. I was replying to a post that was implying that the OP was claiming all 2500 cals came from exercise. I obviously should have quoted that post as I don't see it anymore. So, that's why I was pointing out that 2-3 hours could reasonably burn ~800 cals. I wasn't commenting at all on the sustainability of that much exercise.
  • laralosingit42
    laralosingit42 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    are you losing fast this way? that sounds like a lot of exercise..not knocking it as if you have the time then do it, just most people do not.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

You could look at it either way. You are creating a deficit both by exercising and by not re-eating those calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I try to create a deficit through exercise rather reducing calories. I would however be in big trouble if i got injured or couldn't keep up with my current exercise rate..
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Because overuse injuries are a b*tch to rehab.

Jumping from a relatively sedentary lifestyle into a daily exercise routine isn't a great idea. (I'm not saying this is you, OP, but I am saying that this does apply to a lot of MFP users). Rest and recovery is an important part of training, and it's a bad idea to skip that. So most average people are going to have a hard time safely creating enough of a deficit just via exercise.

Even for relatively fit individuals, it's going to be difficult to create a consistent deficit if you're just using exercise. I'm at a healthy BMI, so I unfortunately don't burn as many calories as I'd like to when I exercise. Just ballparking it, I burn about 100 calories per mile when I run. In order to lose 0.5 pounds a week, I'd have to run 2.5 miles per day, and I can't do that every single day without eventually injuring myself. It's so much easier (and safer) to create that deficit primarily via my diet.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Honestly? You need to get your head around the idea that you're going to have to balance your weight one way or another. This isn't a contest to see whether calorie deficit is achievable preferably by one method over another, this is a long game you'll be playing to manage your weight.

At different times throughout your life moving forward, both exercise and your calorie intake have roles to play in managing your weight. In the end, does it matter which comprises the bigger percent of your efforts? They both play a part.

There will be times you can't exercise and will eat less to compensate. There will be times you want to eat more and thus exercise more. It's all about balance.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most calorie burn estimates are way overinflated. Very unlikely that you're burning 2500 cals in 2-3 hours. Sorry, but it's true.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Most calorie burn estimates are way overinflated. Very unlikely that you're burning 2500 cals in 2-3 hours. Sorry, but it's true.

No. She said she was burning that ALL DAY...I think the math added up to 800 for the work out.