MFP on Vacation

Options
Hi Everyone,

My name is LaTia and I'm on the same journey, lol. My question is, how do you manage tracking food while on vacation. I'm going to DR in three weeks. Most of the food will be prepared so I'm a little worried about going over. However, I will be working out..

Thoughts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I never once tracked anything while on vacation...it's vacation...it's pretty irrelevant to the bigger picture.
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you've done MFP, you get pretty good at how to eat relatively healthy. I typically try to still log a bit when on vacation. Just to keep in that mindset. You need to enjoy yourself and get back on track when you return home. But the most important thing that saves me is moving more. I am sure you will find some very cool things to do there to stay active. Have a great time!
  • sandicat6
    sandicat6 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    you have totrack something daily or you lose everything(unless you dont care). it helps tho to keep you on track somewhat so all your hard work goes out the window.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on a real vacation since I started, but I have had a few weekends away and I just guess and log to the best of my ability. If I were to be gone for longer (like on a cruise or something),I would probably either do the same thing or just not log for the week but try to make good decisions with my portion sizes. But don't spend the whole vacation worrying about it. Enjoy yourself and get back to it when the vacation is over.
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise recently and I was worried about the same thing, but it was easier than I thought! There was a LOT of food available, but I just chose healthier options... and they were delicious! Best food I've ever had. Dont get me wrong, I had dessert every night (my reward for not eating cheeseburgers) and the occasional mickey bar (disney cruise) but also grilled chicken, steaks, and tons of veggies!
    My advice, choose healthier options and enjoy!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never once tracked anything while on vacation...it's vacation...it's pretty irrelevant to the bigger picture.

This for me too.
  • roberholtzer
    roberholtzer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on vacation now and I used to not log because...vacation and the vacay gains got frustrating. (Show me a resort that has scales in the rooms and I'll show you an unsuccessful resort.) It's still hard to log accurately because it's vacation and because you don't always have direct control of your food. So I've been doing a portion check in my head, remember restaurants and buffets use 10 - 12 inch plates (I use 8" or less at home) so the portion sizes are bigger but can look the same or smaller. So I imagine what I would have plated if I made it myself then take the rest to go. I'll have an normal sized adult beverage pint or glass and make it last the whole meal instead of ordering smaller drinks repeatedly (or if you have to get the fishbowl because it's too good to pass up, share it with friends). Or at buffets I'll add "tastes" of all of the good looking stuff to my plate and have one plate only so I leave room for some goodies because...vacation. I also cut back on snacks too during this time (the nutrition plan I'm on at home has 3 small meals and 2 snacks daily).

So that's a long way of saying log what you can when you can just to keep in check if you're worried about gaining but ultimately enjoy yourself. Depending on how in/active your vacation is you may gain, stay the same, or actually lose weight and prepare to be ok with that. Stressing about logging, or not logging and gaining is not the point of a getaway. Have a great vacation!
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't usually track during vacations, although I do give myself some easy and doable goals while i'm gone. Like, not drinking soda, eating a serving of fruit or vegetables with at least 1-2 meals a day, and making sure I get 20 mins of walking a day in (which lets be honest, when you're on vacation you tend to do some walking anyway :) )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sandicat6 wrote: »
    you have totrack something daily or you lose everything(unless you dont care). it helps tho to keep you on track somewhat so all your hard work goes out the window.

No you don't...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I don't bother tracking on holiday. Never even thought about it or worried
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Tad dramatic
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I track on vacation but I realize that it won't be perfect and I just do the best I can so I at least have some rough idea of what I'm taking in, and if I don't lose over that period of time I will hopefully at least not gain.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

It really doesn't.
  • jps2222
    jps2222 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I recently traveled for a little over 3 weeks and kept logging. Made my best guesses and didn't beat myself up for going over calorie limits, including full sugar /fat/deliciousness ice cream just about every day. Logging helped me keep some perspective and encouraged me to stay very active to offset my excesses. Came home only a pound up from where I'd started and got right back on track. I'm calling that a success. Have a great trip!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!