Eat More Calories to Make Up Deficit?

Options
Hi all. I've heard mixed things about this. When you exercise, MFP adds that to your log and therefore you get more calories to eat. A personal trainer said never use those extra calories but my nutritionist said I have to if I want to lose weight cause I'm not getting enough calories. What do I do!? Thank you!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Use 1/2 and see how you do. If you're losing too fast, eat more back. I eat back 1/2 to all of my exercise calories depending on my hunger level. I still lose.
    Make sure you weigh everything you eat and measure your liquids and log everything!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Dump the nutritionist. No such thing as not losing weight because you aren't eating enough,
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you used mfp to get your goal then eat back the exercise calories. If you used a TDEE calculator then do not eat back exercise calories. If you are using mfp and eating the exercise calories you might want to start out eating half of them and reevaluate after about 4 weeks. Sometimes the calorie burn is overestimated. In a few weeks if you are losing faster than expected eat back more if less than expected eat back less.
  • amandalynnlane
    amandalynnlane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I use my Fit Bit to tell me how many calories I've burned. Hopefully it's more accurate.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I use my Fit Bit to tell me how many calories I've burned. Hopefully it's more accurate.

I would still eat 50% back. Calorie burn calculations are all notoriously inaccurate no matter how they are worked out.