Need A Plan to Get Me Started

Options
I gained about 15 pounds in the last year and a half.. partly due to my own laziness and then partly due to hip and neck pain. My hip is feeling a lot better but the doctor thinks i may have a bulging disc in my neck (between C4 & C5). I will be getting an MRI soon to confirm and begin a treatment plan. Luckily, i have no pain down my arms or numbing/tingling sensation. The last week i finally got the courage to get back on the wagon and get started with MFP and the gym. However, i feel like i used to know what to do in the gym and now with social media, fitness pages, youtube, etc. it feels like information overload. My stamina is not what it used to be and I am concerned about aggravating my neck.. but i do need to get started on a plan that will help me shed the pounds and tone. Does anyone have any suggestions that can help me? I am 5'3" and weigh about 155lbs. I have been weighing out my food and watching my calories. I started walking at the gym last week doing intervals with booth speed and incline. I would like to lose 10-15 pounds. Ideally i would like to be in the gym 45mins to an hour.. I don't have 2 hours to spend at the gym every day.
Thanks so much for any suggestions you all might be able to share! :)

Replies

• RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The gym isn't required for losing weight. Just put your info as sedentary in the calculator and stay within your calorie limits.
  • sansathome
    sansathome Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just bit the bullet and hired a trainer for a while to get me started.... also have some back and shoulder issues and he knew what I should and should not do. I am also watching calories. I go to the gym 3 - 4 times a week - sometimes only 30 min usually around 45. The gym was definitely required for me to get my metabolism up and running again. I thought about the money I have spent on things like WW, nutri-system, OTC solutions and decided that it was worth it to get some professional advice - avoiding conflicting info on the internet and from friends. I have lost 12 pounds in about 6 weeks - set my calories to losing 2 lbs a week.... more importantly I have lost inches everywhere... that's the gym doing its work for me. I am 67 years old, type II diabetic, and need to lose about 50 pounds...

The gym may not work for everyone but it is the only thing that has worked for me. Also having the trainer really makes me go since I have a commitment to show up! You can do it, just do it safely to not injure yourself more and then not be able to exercise... been there, done that which resulted in more weight gain....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You are already doing all that you need to. Your plan was created when you setup your account in MFP with your personal stats, activity level and rate of loss you wish to lose per week.

You stated you are weighing food intake and watching calories already.

The gym is secondary, but can help. You do not have to spend more than 30 minutes of exercise a day if you do not have time to. Simply make the most of the time you do have in the gym by creating some exercise/fitness goals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AmandaA077 wrote: »
    I gained about 15 pounds in the last year and a half.. partly due to my own laziness and then partly due to hip and neck pain. My hip is feeling a lot better but the doctor thinks i may have a bulging disc in my neck (between C4 & C5). I will be getting an MRI soon to confirm and begin a treatment plan. Luckily, i have no pain down my arms or numbing/tingling sensation. The last week i finally got the courage to get back on the wagon and get started with MFP and the gym. However, i feel like i used to know what to do in the gym and now with social media, fitness pages, youtube, etc. it feels like information overload. My stamina is not what it used to be and I am concerned about aggravating my neck.. but i do need to get started on a plan that will help me shed the pounds and tone. Does anyone have any suggestions that can help me? I am 5'3" and weigh about 155lbs. I have been weighing out my food and watching my calories. I started walking at the gym last week doing intervals with booth speed and incline. I would like to lose 10-15 pounds. Ideally i would like to be in the gym 45mins to an hour.. I don't have 2 hours to spend at the gym every day.
    Thanks so much for any suggestions you all might be able to share! :)

1) has your doctor signed you off to workout l..with bulging neck discs and forthcoming diagnostic tests / action plans I would doubt that s/he has

2) stick to your calorie defecit at your current activity level to start to lose weight ..that is the right approach

3) speak to medical team about working out and types of activities you can do without risk

Now is not the exact time to be starting something new

You should never ask an open forum about exercise plans when you have medical conditions that could mean specific exercises are contraindicated but swimming may, and usually is, your best bet when joints are compromised
  • AmandaA077
    AmandaA077 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you input/suggestions. My doctor did say that exercise was fine as long as i was not lifting heavy weights and was keeping proper form. He suggested lunges, squats, etc with just my body weight for now. If I wanted to do upper body he said to just keep it light and simple and keep my head up in the right form. I feel like i used to know what to do in the gym but now just kind of feel lost. Tracking my calories is helping me feel better and movement is what will really help with the weight. And being sedentary is one of the worst things you can do for your body and your overall health.. I know that i need to be very cautious and start out taking baby steps if you will... i just want to know if there is a fitness routine or workout plan that i can do 3-4 days a week that will be a good jump start? Does anyone have any website/links they can provide that can help me create a fitness program for myself? I know when something is not right for me so i plan to be very cautious.. just need some exercise ideas. Unfortunately, i am not the best swimmer.. (I should take lessons!).
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have had alot of ankle surgeries so i also take it easy at the gym. I ride the stationary bike for about 60 minutes and also do some of the machines that arent rough for my ankle- You could do the leg machines and also do some cardio like the bike or elliptical.