Strength training at home

Options
xanjelicax
xanjelicax Posts: 9 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey

So I've just read a lot of articles, posts on MFP that suggest strength training with cardio to assist with weight loss?

Any suggestions on what to do at home for strength training? I do cardio 5x a week as I purchased a treadmill. Rower. Cross trainer and bike.

Wouldn't know where to start with strength training???

Fitness noob here :D

Replies

• saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As you admit to being inexperienced, I think you would be well advised to weight train using a proper routine and under professional guidance at a gym.

If you are committed to exercising at home, you might like to consider starting with some body weight routines. I like 'You are Your Own Gym', but Convict Conditioning is also supposed to be quite effective. Just be careful to start carefully and progress difficulty as fast as you can without undue straining.
  • xanjelicax
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not comfortable going to a gym yet, that's why I purchased own equipment. I normally do 15 mins on the rower, 15 on treadmill and 15 on either the bike or cross trainer. Will this still be effective for weight loss or do I need to do strength training aswel?
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    With regards to strength training, that is fair enough if you are not comfortable going to a gym but please get someone to show you correct form. You can't just watch youtube videos or ask people on the internet, you need to be actually shown those form corrections etc
  • Naruya8
    Naruya8 Posts: 48 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For weight loss you'll only really need to create a deficit, no exercise is strictly necessary. But while losing weight you'll not only lose fat, but also muscle. This is where strength training comes in. If you spend time strength training you'll ensure your muscle loss stays at a minimum. Take it from someone who focussed purely on diet before and lost a tons of muscle mass - it's way harder to get it back once you lose it.

I'd really recommend Darebee.com. They have some great bodyweight programs for beginners you can do at home without any equipment.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes do both. But really and truly set exercise/fitness and strength training goals to enhance your weight loss and maintain goals. Not just to lose weight.

Decide what you want to achieve in your strength training.

You can do body weight strength training for example:

You are your own gym
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerd fitness beginner body weight routine
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Yes do both. But really and truly set exercise/fitness and strength training goals to enhance your weight loss and maintain goals. Not just to lose weight.

Decide what you want to achieve in your strength training.

You can do body weight strength training for example:

You are your own gym
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerd fitness beginner body weight routine

+1 & I can personally recommend You Are Your own Gym - I'm a fan of that book and still refer to it (even though I use a commercial gym)
    143353326 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First of all you need to set your goal.what you want to achieve, If your main goal is to get stronger and put on muscle, hop into a more traditional strength style routine.
    Honestly how you eat will account for 80-90% of your success or failure. So, with a quality diet you will lose fat and build strength in EITHER style.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are many routines that you can do at home, depending on your level of equipment. Outside of the others mentioned, you can look at GBC or other dumbbell full body routines found in link above. Also, StongCurves and NROL4W have variations to use things like dumbbells, body weight and even resistance bands.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well what are you looking to get out of strength training?

Personally, I do cardio (elliptical) and yoga. I'm able to use gravity and own bodyweight to help strengthen my core, plus, it really helps my stress level! My flexibility has also increased. I also have an old injury to my right knee and some of the actual weight training for legs aggravates that injury and leaves me unable to do cardio for a few days.

I guess my point is that there are lots of programs you can do at home, you just have to know what YOU are looking to achieve.
  • xanjelicax
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender on you tube.
  • Bojemoy
    Bojemoy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised how a $14 book can change your life.

Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews (women)
    Bigger, Leaner, Stronger (men)

Thank me later.
    Goodluck!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

OP was asking for home based work outs. This article is based on strength machines in a commercial gym.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There are so many people recommending a calorie deficit to promote weight loss. I for one do not feel like being constantly hungry when there is a better way. Not all calories are equal. Foods high in fiber like fruits and vegetables can help fill you up without much of the calories being absorbed into your body. Eat clean. Look at what bodybuilders eat. Whole grains, no sugar, no processed food, no fried and greasy foods, lots of fruits and vegetables. Prepare your own meals. Pinterest has lots of good recipes.
    First thing you are going to want to do is get some standard (1 inch hole), re loadable dumbbells and weight plates for them. Craigslist is a good place to look. You can do so many different exercises with these. I even do benching by laying on the floor and putting the dumbbells on a couple large couch pillows below my arms. The range of motion is plenty enough, especially when I'm going heavy. I can do push- ups for more range of motion.
    You can do rows by stabilizing yourself with one arm on the seat of a chair. You can do weighted lunges by holding the dumbbells at your sides.
    Listen to Lee Priest and combine your mind with the weight to increase resistance. Simply contract the muscle with your mind like you would when making a bicep, but while you are lifting weights. That will let you keep the weight low while building and strengthening your muscles. The risk of injury will be greatly reduced this way. Also, don't round out your back. Controlled, focused, intense movement, not jerky movement. Don't extend out all the way, so the muscles you are working have constant tension within a safe range of motion. Injuries suck. They can be huge setbacks. Try to maintain good posture, and you should be fine.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    There are so many people recommending a calorie deficit to promote weight loss. I for one do not feel like being constantly hungry when there is a better way. Not all calories are equal. Foods high in fiber like fruits and vegetables can help fill you up without much of the calories being absorbed into your body. Eat clean. Look at what bodybuilders eat. Whole grains, no sugar, no processed food, no fried and greasy foods, lots of fruits and vegetables. Prepare your own meals. Pinterest has lots of good recipes.
    First thing you are going to want to do is get some standard (1 inch hole), re loadable dumbbells and weight plates for them. Craigslist is a good place to look. You can do so many different exercises with these. I even do benching by laying on the floor and putting the dumbbells on a couple large couch pillows below my arms. The range of motion is plenty enough, especially when I'm going heavy. I can do push- ups for more range of motion.
    You can do rows by stabilizing yourself with one arm on the seat of a chair. You can do weighted lunges by holding the dumbbells at your sides.
    Listen to Lee Priest and combine your mind with the weight to increase resistance. Simply contract the muscle with your mind like you would when making a bicep, but while you are lifting weights. That will let you keep the weight low while building and strengthening your muscles. The risk of injury will be greatly reduced this way. Also, don't round out your back. Controlled, focused, intense movement, not jerky movement. Don't extend out all the way, so the muscles you are working have constant tension within a safe range of motion. Injuries suck. They can be huge setbacks. Try to maintain good posture, and you should be fine.

;)

I was lost at not all calories are equal.. then I was really lost after benching on the floor and putting dumbbells on pillows (sorry)..

• TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There are so many people recommending a calorie deficit to promote weight loss. I for one do not feel like being constantly hungry when there is a better way. Not all calories are equal.

Eating in a deficit does NOT mean you are constantly hungry. As you said, not all calories are created equal.

In my opinion, the best thing you could do it pick up a hard copy, not kindle version, of Thinner Leaner Stronger. Seriously.

I also second Nerd Fitness. I'm a part of the community over there and they are amazing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

if you think all body builders dont eat sugar,processed foods and so on you are mistaken. a lot of them dont eat "clean" a lot of them eat whatever.its also better to have a weight bench to bench press and not the bar laying on couch cushions. thats a lot harder to lift from than a bench and could result in an injury.contract the muscle with your mind?really? if thats all it takes is mind control then we are all jedis then. you have to use muscles to actually lift something and that requires movement which yes is controlled by the brain but its not mind control.are you talking about mind muscle control where you thing about the lift and the muscles you need to work?
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ^^ lol. I didn't even read his whole post after that first line.

• RoxieDawn
    Options
    ^^ lol. I didn't even read his whole post after that first line.

LOL..

I read the first paragraph, then it was like a train wreck. :(