I'm having trouble with protein...

Options
Hey guys, Ive lost about 10 pounds in the past month while using this app, and about 15 total since I started 2 weeks before that. Im a 5-foot-7, 37 year old man and currently 181 lbs.

Im doing 1300 to 1500 cals per day, 45 min of cardio per day and 15 min strength. My performce has increased but the weight is starting to plateau, and I still feel sore after strength training (mostly pushups, squats and curls). I looked through my stats and Im not getting enough protein, which might have something to do with the soreness, at least.

Not a vegetarian or anything, but I dont have a lot of money for specialized foods. I do have some Balance Bars which have 20g of protein each, but just like a lot of other stuff with high protein, theyre high on fat. And the Balance Bars are also high on sugar and carbs.

I dont have enough money to eat salmon and steaks all the time, so Im not sure what my options are, or how much protein I should be shooting for if Im doing strength training every day. (Im doing more strength right now than I normally would because Im also prescribed testosterone, so Id like to take advantage of any anabolic effects, however slight they may be.)

Ive lost 50 pounds with diet and cardio 20 years ago, but Ive never done any real strength training, so its all new to me. I also cant pay for things like trainers and gyms, so this is all being done at home with things like chairs and whatever I can find around 20 to 40 pounds to manipulate with my arms (lifting and curling).

Any feedback would help. Thanks!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Fist of all, your calories are too low for you. I'm just going to go ahead and send you some stuff via PM so that you have an idea of what is a more reasonable goal, how to hit your protein, etc.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    OK one at a time:

@ 5'7" I'm going to say that your calorific deficit sounds like too much. Double check your maths because I would guesstimate your cals required to lose weight will be around 1800.

If strength/muscle gain is your goal ("taking advantage of anabolic effects...") you need to up the strength work at expense of some of the cardio. I hear you on the home work outs and gym costs but you need a progressive program: I suggest You Are Your Own Gym, by Mark Lauren. An excellent book which you can buy cheaply and which contains progressive home based strength programs.

Some people swear that increased protein helps with muscle soreness but I've never noticed a correlation and to some extent, you will have some soreness if you are challenging yourself to improve and progress - there is a certain amount of "suck-it-up-buttercup" required.

Protein requirements (this is a massive can of worms) range from 0.5g per lb to ove 2g per lb depending on who you ask! My recommendation would be 1g per lb or lean body mass as a suitable target and if you don't hit that every day then don't worry about it. If you don't know your %BF or lean mass then guesstimate it - it's not that critical to your calculations.

Getting that protein whilst on a budget: I can tell you that my experience is that Protein Powders, cottage cheese and eggs (don't worry too much about the fat from whole eggs - it's good for you and when you're on a budget, egg whites are a pretty good way of throwing away valuable food) give you the cheapest protein options. Tinned tuna and lean turkey tend to come in next with chicken being cheaper than beef. To keep the costs down consider frozen meats and making up large batches of meals which you can freeze or use for a few days. The economies of scale then work in your favour (and it saves a massive amount of time on food prep and washing up).

• WaxPaper999
    WaxPaper999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Fist of all, your calories are too low for you. I'm just going to go ahead and send you some stuff via PM so that you have an idea of what is a more reasonable goal, how to hit your protein, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I know its low, but most days it is 1500. I might not be right now, but when I began I was obese with around 30 BMI. I suppose theres virtue in patience, but I should have done this years ago, right after college. I cant stand being me any more; its actually become a major souce of depression and anxiety. Whatever the bare minimums are, thats what I need to be doing, as long as its not going to make things worse in the long run.

Plus theres the money issue. This is the first time Ive ever really eaten healthy (that 50 lbs I lost in 97 was due to ephedrine, running every day and hardly eating anything). I know my body cant handle that kind of extreme anymore, but the thing I found out is that eating healthy is more expensive. I cant seem to maximize my nutrient needs with the most caloire-efficient foods because its either too expensive or I still dont know how to shop that way.

Regardless, thanks for the info youre sending.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to eat properly, aim for at least 1500 calories per day and make sure you are eating that - log correctly. Set your protein goal to something realistic - 85 grams, maybe, which is one gram per kilo of your body weight.

You don't have to explain yourself, we are all on a budget. You don't need those bars, you need proper food, and real food isn't expensive - those bars are. Eggs, tuna, pork and chicken, dairy, beans and grains, are all cheap foods that have lots of protein. Combine them - that means "cook" - with other cheap foods that have less protein, but contribute with other nutrients, and together you will have a tasty, healthy diet, for cheap.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You not eating nearly enough. 5'10 193 and MFP had me set at 1770 for 1lb a week loss. Yours will be a little less but you don't mention eating back any of the calories your burning. You eat 1300 and but 300 your down to 1000, way to little. Eating less is not always better.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You stats a similar to my starting stats and you don't need to eat below your BMR, in fact, you shouldn't. You don't have to buy steak and salmon but a can of tuna is cheap and works just as well, but bars are actually expensive so try real food instead. Meats aren't going to be the easiest thing to afford but you can buy soy and lentils to add to your protein totals. You won't need to go above 125g per day even if you are lifting but 150g or should be easy to obtain as well and certainly won't hurt you unless you have kidney issues.

If you can't afford weights or a gym membership then start looking around the Internet for some bodyweight/calisthenics programs. They can be very effective at helping build size and strength without equipment.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Meat, fish (canned is cheap), chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt ect. Keep an eye out for specials and make use of them. Actually protein bars are a lot more expensive than actual food.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If your weight is plateauing, I do not think you're eating as little as you think (1300-1500). Now, with that said, chicken is the closest thing to pure protein one can eat, aside from protein shakes. And, whole chickens are pretty cheap.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    chicken, beans, pork all can be cheap. Go to the grocery store on different days and almost any meat can never gotten for more than 50% off.
  • WaxPaper999
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Now that I know how much protein I should be eating, Ill try to start getting it from chicken, tuna and maybe some soy or legumes. Didnt know they were that high; although I hadnt gotten around to Googling protein foods with respect to their fat:gram ratios before I made this post.

A lot of you have said Im not eating enough, but the app here gave me the 1500 cal goal when I entered my stats and target of losing 2 pounds per week. And a lot of other sites and calorie calculators told me the same... Only reason I mentioned 1300 to 1500 is because Ill sometimes not hit the full 1500 every day. Regardless, is 1500 really too low? I dont anticipate rebounding being a problem, when it comes to willpower at least. Im more motivated than Ive been in 20 years, and in just 6 weeks Ive totally changed the way I eat and snack, and Ive gone from totally sedintary to exercising every day.

About the plateau thing and how I might be eating more than I think I am; its possible, but Ive been pretty good about logging everything, including the occasional 50 cal for a piece of candy. Maybe Im not judging portions and weights correctly. What I meant by plateau is that I should be about a pound less by now, based on thr last 6 weeks of loss, which has actually been pretty consistent and steady. Maybe its too early to say that, though. I should probably give it another week. Thanks!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Chicken. Lots of it. It's relatively cheap (cheaper than beef by far, and usually cheaper than good cuts of pork). Pork loins when on sale are also a good low calorie source of protein. I BBQ a lot, so trust me, 3-4 times a week chicken is on my grill in some fashion. Turkey is another option, just be aware that the prepared stuff (deli slices/etc) are full of sodium. Get the ground turkey and make burgers, lightly season them, add BBQ sauce if you want. I stick to mostly chicken breasts and boneless chicken thighs, turkey burgers, and sometimes turkey steaks. Beef about once a week in the form of steaks that are on sale. Beyond that protein powder is a cheap way to get more protein in your diet with very few calories.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    1. Calories too low. Find your TDEE on a site that specialized as a TDEE calculator, and subtract 20%
    2. Focus on strength training. Get the book Starting Strength 3rd Edition
    3. Eat 1g of protein per pound of fat-free (lean) body mass
    4. Get protein from chicken most of the time. Vary it when you want to and when you can afford it.
    5. Be wary of tuna. While a great source of protein, it's also a source of mercury, and you can only eat a certain amount per week.
    6. Eat some sort of fruit or vegetable with each meal. After some time, make it two, etc.
    7. Use a digital food scale to measure food. Eyeballing and volumetric measures will leave you eating more than you think.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Now that I know how much protein I should be eating, Ill try to start getting it from chicken, tuna and maybe some soy or legumes. Didnt know they were that high; although I hadnt gotten around to Googling protein foods with respect to their fat:gram ratios before I made this post.

A lot of you have said Im not eating enough, but the app here gave me the 1500 cal goal when I entered my stats and target of losing 2 pounds per week. And a lot of other sites and calorie calculators told me the same... Only reason I mentioned 1300 to 1500 is because Ill sometimes not hit the full 1500 every day. Regardless, is 1500 really too low? I dont anticipate rebounding being a problem, when it comes to willpower at least. Im more motivated than Ive been in 20 years, and in just 6 weeks Ive totally changed the way I eat and snack, and Ive gone from totally sedintary to exercising every day.

About the plateau thing and how I might be eating more than I think I am; its possible, but Ive been pretty good about logging everything, including the occasional 50 cal for a piece of candy. Maybe Im not judging portions and weights correctly. What I meant by plateau is that I should be about a pound less by now, based on thr last 6 weeks of loss, which has actually been pretty consistent and steady. Maybe its too early to say that, though. I should probably give it another week. Thanks!

I hate to quote myself but...

"As we lose weight we lose a combination of fat, muscle mass, and water. In order to maintain optimal muscle mass or minimize muscle catabolization you must consume adequate protein (.8g-1.2g per pound lean body mass), eat a moderate calorie deficit (not exceeding 1% of total body weight per week), and consistently perform resistance exercise."

in other words, based on your current size you can't lose 2 pounds per week. Unless you want to lose excess muscle mass. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Don't be afraid of fat. Or carbs. Many good foods have a mix of macro and micro nutrients. We need all of them, in balanced amounts.

You shouldn't rely on willpower for basic needs like eating. Hunger and cravings will come back and bite you in the *kitten*.

2 pounds per week is max loss. It's too steep for you at your weight. MFP's goal is even supposed to be supplemented with exercise calories ("eating back").

What does the bolded mean? Don't you weigh before you log?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Chicken. Not boneless/skinless unless it's on sale. Anyway, in addition to being the most expensive, boneless/skinless chicken breast has the least flavor. I buy boneless/skinless thighs when they are on sale and use them multiple ways. They are especially good in a crock pot/slow cooker.

Chicken is very versatile. Tons of recipes.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    1. Calories too low. Find your TDEE on a site that specialized as a TDEE calculator, and subtract 20%
    2. Focus on strength training. Get the book Starting Strength 3rd Edition
    3. Eat 1g of protein per pound of fat-free (lean) body mass
    4. Get protein from chicken most of the time. Vary it when you want to and when you can afford it.
    5. Be wary of tuna. While a great source of protein, it's also a source of mercury, and you can only eat a certain amount per week.
    6. Eat some sort of fruit or vegetable with each meal. After some time, make it two, etc.
    7. Use a digital food scale to measure food. Eyeballing and volumetric measures will leave you eating more than you think.

The guy works out at home using body weight and is on a tight budget. What do you think he's going to do with a $25 copy of Starting Strength? Use it as a heel block for pistol squats?

• WaxPaper999
    Options
    Nope, I dont have a scale for measuring food so I just scan barcodes and judge weights and volume by eye (or fractions, if there are like 4 servings in a bag of something, a quarter of the bag is easy to judge within 10%). I guess Ill eventually have to get a food scale, but Ive been making due with what I have so far.

Ill have to look into the calorie count again, though. Right now 1500 doesnt feel like too little, and Im finally starting to see a little muscle in the easiest areas, but Ill defer to your expertise and reevaluate it. Wish I had some BMI calipers or something to get a more precise idea...
  • khd75
    khd75 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    May be you're still loosing fat, but gaining muscle
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Nope, I dont have a scale for measuring food so I just scan barcodes and judge weights and volume by eye (or fractions, if there are like 4 servings in a bag of something, a quarter of the bag is easy to judge within 10%). I guess Ill eventually have to get a food scale, but Ive been making due with what I have so far.

Ill have to look into the calorie count again, though. Right now 1500 doesnt feel like too little, and Im finally starting to see a little muscle in the easiest areas, but Ill defer to your expertise and reevaluate it. Wish I had some BMI calipers or something to get a more precise idea...

you may get some newbie gains if you are lifting(or coming back to lifting after a hiatus) but you probably wont gain a lot of muscle in a low deficit like that. its hard to gain muscle and lose fat/weight at the same time,the conditions have to be right to gain muscle and if you are seeing muscle its probably where you lost fat over the area. most muscle is built in a surplus,with a progressive lifting program and with the right amount of macros(fat,carbs,and protein).as for scanning,the entries can be way off in the MFP database,eyeballing can be more food than you think(I learned this the hard way and I was using measuring cups too which is not good for solid/semisolids).calipers to test body fat also is not exact. you would get better numbers with a dexascan,bodpod,etc
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    khd75 wrote: »
    May be you're still loosing fat, but gaining muscle

At his current intake with very little weight training, that isn't going to happen. At 1500 calories for a male, you would be lucky to maintain muscle.

OP, if possible buy things in bulk and freeze. I get chicken for $1.99/lb, same with pork. Also, eggs can be really cheap.