This isn't working for me.......

Options
I realise that this is going to sound very controversial, but since I've started tracking my calories with MFP, I haven't lost an ounce. Up to this point I was losing 0.5-1lb a week. I think I'm eating more than I was when I was just listening to my body. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Logging calories from exercise used to throw me off. Logging what I eat has been immensely helpful. I'm just getting back from 3 weeks of not logging, while on a busy trip to Spain, and I feel better already.

I log all my exercise as 1 calorie, so that I don't overestimate my burns.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you are eating more and if you are doing ok on intuitive dieting than I don't know of any reason you need to log. I only log when I feel I need to these days. If I could go the rest of my life without logging I would happily do so but I don't think that's in the cards.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Any calorie goal you've been given by MFP or other calculators is an estimate, a starting point. If after a reasonable amount of time (about a month) you find you aren't losing weight at the rate you expected, then you adjust your calorie goal accordingly - or look at increasing your deficit through exercise - or both!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I lost weight with MFP, and I actually weigh a little less now than when I stopped logging/tracking and started "just listening to my body" lol. For me, tracking was an important part of learning to listen to my body, though.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Use a scale for a month and then see if your weight starts to drop. Measurements based on volume are inaccurate unless your measuring liquids and have a good set of measuring cups. Solids can easily be under or over measured by using volumes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think logging and tracking can be educational and interesting, but if you were doing well just listening to your body, why change?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Logging calories without using a food scale is a crap shoot. Your diary has a lot of inaccurate entries. You're most likely eating more than you realize. For example, you have "371 calories- 1 serving oatmeal" most days. That's a very.. uneven number that you unlikely replicate daily. It's also possible you're overestimating your exercise burns.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Just to echo what has been said here...

Use a digital food scale.
    • Weigh in grams.
    • Choose accurate database entries that reflect the packaging of the food you're eating. As mentioned, your diary has many inaccurate entries. Log your food by using the specific brand name, too. Weigh slices of meat and cheese and weigh prepackaged pre weighed food such as protein bars.
    • Weigh everything that isn't a liquid. Weigh butter and oils. Log everything that has calories. Weigh fruit and veg. Don't use spoons and cups for solids and semi solids. Use Spoons and cups for liquids only.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I realise that this is going to sound very controversial, but since I've started tracking my calories with MFP, I haven't lost an ounce. Up to this point I was losing 0.5-1lb a week. I think I'm eating more than I was when I was just listening to my body. Has anyone else had the same experience?

I have lost weight in the past, without mfp, but didn't keep it off.

Since using mfp I have been more consistent in my loss and even though I have gained some back at times, it's never been as much as before mfp.
  • adelanghe
    adelanghe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @trudiebamford I think you're seriously underestimating the calories in some cases. I just saw two or three fried items you have logged as having less than 50 calories per cup or half cup...
    I believe that if your body doesn't ask you for more you don't have to force yourself to eat. I don't know what were you doing before in terms of calories but if your intake was too low you could have also changed your metabolism
    The best you can do is get yourself a kitchen scale and weight what you eat, and take a look at the labels on your food because sometimes the numbers are wrong. Once you're sure you get the right calories then adjust that figure to get results.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think logging and tracking can be educational and interesting, but if you were doing well just listening to your body, why change?

This.

OP, why did you start logging with MFP? If you were losing using your non-logging method, why not go back to it?
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Hmm. I'd go back to listening to your body, I suppose. MFP seems to work. I lost as soon as I started tracking, despite trying to gain.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    use a food scale... MEASURE AND WEIGH so you know for sure what you are ingesting... I have been on every diet known to mankind it seems and started this journey here on May 17th.. I am losing weight @1 pound per week, no exercise and lost two pants sizes already.. in fact, these slacks I have on are falling down my hips.. but I don't want to spend money yet on new pants.. haha good luck it DOES work.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I wonder why MFP made you stop being in-tune with yourself? Its just a diary.
    MFP made you change what and how much you eat?

Just do what works for you OP!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If what you were doing before was working, absolutely go back to it. Logging and using a food scale isn't for everyone, and it's not the only way to lose weight. People lost and gained weight for hundreds of years before this method was a thing. There's nothing wrong with using another method if it works for you.

I <3 counting calories, but I can't disagree with this.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Not only did I buy a food scale, I've begun creating my own MFP food entries. So many of them are incorrect. I double check against food packaging and Google.