Losing 15-20 pounds in 3 months? Realistic goal or no?

Options
I'm 5'10 and currently 153 pounds, so I'm not "overweight", but I'm uncomfortable with myself. I'm studying abroad for the next 3 months and I really want to come back home 15-20 pounds thinner. Is this too much weight loss for a short period of time? If not, any tips on how I could achieve this? I imagine I would have to be pretty strict with my diet and workout plan.

Replies

• The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Maybe go for 10lbs and take it from there? :) That might make a difference in how you feel. Your BMI is right in the middle of the healthy section, so maybe losing 20lbs would be too much? Taking your BMI down to 19?
  • pbandbananas1996
    pbandbananas1996 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maybe go for 10lbs and take it from there? :) That might make a difference in how you feel.

Yeah I thought about that, but I feel like at my height 10 pounds wouldn't make enough of a difference :/

• The_Original_Beauty
    Options
    Maybe go for 10lbs and take it from there? :) That might make a difference in how you feel.

Yeah I thought about that, but I feel like at my height 10 pounds wouldn't make enough of a difference :/

At your size it would, for me no, but for you yes :) Maybe work on how you see yourself, that can make a huge difference too.
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Since you are not overweight, I am assuming it will be difficult to lose that much weight. The ideal way to lose is to 1-2 pounds a week which is again too much for a lot of people considering they are healthy weight or closer to their healthy weight to begin with. I would say, first you should figure out your TDEE and look at the mirror to find out your problem areas and figure out a plan. You can spot reduce though but if you are already eating your TDEE calories, then find out the bad food that you are eating and slowly substitute those with healthy options and maybe increase a little bit of activity in your life than you used to do. After all, no one would ask you your weight, they will see you and say, "Oh My GOD, you have slimmed down so much/You look so healthy"
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Can not spot reduce I meant * ^_^
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You are not overweight therefore you should aim for a maximum of 1lb per week with 0.5lbs being the recommended.
  • pbandbananas1996
    pbandbananas1996 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

At your size it would, for me no, but for you yes :) Maybe work on how you see yourself, that can make a huge difference too.

That's good advice, thank you! I suppose 10 pounds might be a good goal then, at least for now. :)

• Danika
    Danika Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You might be very surprised with how much of a difference 10 pounds can make. I am much shorter than you (5'4'') and the difference in how I feel between 140 and 130 for me is HUGE. At 140, I feel a little chubby (healthy, but a little chubby). At 130, I feel legit slim. So, give it a go and see how you feel. Even a conscious effort to eat a bit better and exercise better (saying this not knowing anything of your current regime), might help you feel better in your own self and your body. x
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    At 5'10 and 153 10lbs will make a HUGE difference. Trust me. 15-20 will be way too much.

And no, it's not going to happen in 3 months. You are a very healthy weight now, so it's gonna be slow. 0.5lbs/week is an average healthy weight loss goal for your size.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I am 5'10" and much heavier at 188. The last 8 pounds I've lost have been noticed and commented on quite a bit. It took me 2 months to lose those 8 pounds. Those pounds have also led to measurable inches off.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    3 months = 12 weeks? It's unlikely you'd be able to shift more than 10-12 lbs in that amount of time. Aim for 1 lb a week maximum.

If you don't believe 10 lbs makes a difference at your height, check out mybodygallery.com It's a site where people post pics of themselves at various heights and weights. You'll see just how good 5'10 and 145 lbs can look, which is a totally reasonable goal for when you come home.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8 and 143lbs is my perfect weight where everything sits just right. You may be surprised when you get there, and you most likely will not need to lose a lb more.
  • kayrayy17
    kayrayy17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10 pounds in a week from drinking 7 bottles of water every day. But after that it's been harder to lose weight unless you exercise and also eat healthy.
  • jodietownsend03
    jodietownsend03 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The less you have to loose the slower it comes off but 3 months is a reasonable time aim to loose 0.5 lbs a week iv lost 4stone 6lbs since jan this year once i got into the last stone its slowed to 0.5lbs a week but its still coming off so i dont mind. Xxxxx good luck
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and 155 or 150 is my goal and i know i look thin at that weight. So, two things.. dieting while going abroad will be a drag. However, I think if you just stay active and perhaps cut way down on carbs you could lose some.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm studying abroad for the next 3 months and I really want to come back home 15-20 pounds thinner.

Another take on this: Losing like that would take tremendous focus, determination and willpower. Is that how you want to spend what I imagine is a once in a lifetime trip? Is weight loss going to be your top priority - over studies and over enjoying the experience? I'm not saying it shouldn't be, but be sure to rank your priorities before you go.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this seems like an odd goal to take on when you will have enough on your plate studying, adjusting to the new surroundings and actually enjoying yourself. I would leave this till you come back. What is it about foreign travel that you think will make it easier to lose weight? Seems to me it will make it harder. Concentrate on your studying and travelling, and leave weight loss and body comp goals till after things are back to normal.
  • bigfatguy13088
    bigfatguy13088 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree on the .5lbs per week loss goal. It will be easier to do, you wont be as miserable
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You are going to study abroad for the next 3 months, perhaps in unknown territory when it comes to almost everything you know at home?

I think that is might be a tough goal to conquer at the same time. But heck, you never know what you are capable of doing..

edited to add: if your profile pic and age are right, you already look pretty darned good to me.. Why so many more pounds of loss?
  • distitch
    distitch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think that is a goal that is attainable. You need to ask yourself how bad do you want to achieve your goal? Stay strong and focused and you can achieve anything you want if you want it bad enough..... just my opinion.