Don't let cheat days get you down!

Options
I went to a football game today and splurged with a few beers and a bacon cheeseburger. Even though I stayed within my calorie intake goal, I still feel guilty for consuming one meal that was half of what my allowed calorie goal.
I realized that I felt guilty because I didn't want this cheat day (my first cheat day since I started this journey) to set me off to have more than one cheat day in a row.
All I can do is remind myself of why I want this and to keep going, even if I do make mistakes. I'd rather start over a million times, than to give up for good.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit! It fit into your calories for the day, nicely done!
  • Megansonthemoon
    Megansonthemoon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If one "bad" meal is going to give you the mental energy to have 20 "good" meals, it's a win/win situation, bonus points are awarded if you don't go over your intake.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I went to a football game today and splurged with a few beers and a bacon cheeseburger. Even though I stayed within my calorie intake goal, I still feel guilty for consuming one meal that was half of what my allowed calorie goal.
    I realized that I felt guilty because I didn't want this cheat day (my first cheat day since I started this journey) to set me off to have more than one cheat day in a row.
    All I can do is remind myself of why I want this and to keep going, even if I do make mistakes. I'd rather start over a million times, than to give up for good.

This^^ is the key to everything. If you're not moving forward, you're back to the place where you started. That's a scary enough thought, it keeps me moving every time. Great job!
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great attitude to have! I always to be very careful with cheat meals. I've had one cheat me totally derail my dieting in the past. So far so good this time.
  • valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Remember that it isn't that ONE cheat meal that ruins everything
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    WTG! I have learned 1 day off my regimen does not define me. Once I learned this I have been doing great!. Before I used to use it as an excuse to keep going and ruining everything that I work so hard for. But now I look at it as just another day and the next day I totally forget about it and keep moving forward. Once I got this down pat I never looked back. I just don't make it a habit and gave myself a rule that I cannot do it two days in a row. I actually did not even feel that I need to follow it the day after because I know maybe in two or three weeks I'll have another day just like it. And knowing that helps me move forward without any guilt. This is so great for you I am happy to hear about you non scale Victory goal. Keep up the great work. I have to give it to the MyFitnessPal groups who helped me learn that slow and steady wins the race. I am now 70 some odd days strong. Prior to this journey I would have been given up. You got this! :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to think of what you did as "cheating"; it's living your life. Those types of days come into every life and learning how to handle them needs to be a part of the weight loss process if you hope to successfully maintain your goal weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Where is the cheat if you stayed under your calories?
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Where is the cheat if you stayed under your calories?

This. It took me a while to really get this, but I'm all over it now. I eat pizza and McDonald's fairly regularly, but I am always under my calories. It may not be the healthiest food, but I'm not eating it all the time, and I don't think anyone can or should eat perfect all the time. What some consider cheat meals don't derail me, I'm still losing 1-2lbs weekly. It's ok to enjoy food :)

• jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    If one "bad" meal is going to give you the mental energy to have 20 "good" meals, it's a win/win situation, bonus points are awarded if you don't go over your intake.

I so needed to hear this. I've never thought of it that way. Every misstep just means guilt to me. I'm gonna start telling myself this and one day I'll believe it. It's a kind thing to say to yourself.