Gastric Bypass... pounds on the rise

Options
Hello Everyone.... I had gastric bypass surgery 2 yrs ago... I have totally derailed in the last many months.... I started back on calorie counting about 4 days ago.... Needing support and hope from other sleevers! Thanks

Replies

• kristin3787
    kristin3787 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I messaged you :)
  • litlbex
    litlbex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can relate, had gastric 14 yrs ago and pounds are coming back on, need to lose again. I feel like a failure. Need motivation and will power.
  • jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    sullivad7 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone.... I had gastric bypass surgery 2 yrs ago... I have totally derailed in the last many months.... I started back on calorie counting about 4 days ago.... Needing support and hope from other sleevers! Thanks

I had RNY in 2014 and I'm struggling. I just posted in three different forums a few minutes ago. I hope you'll read my post and give me your opinion. I'm sending a friend request. We got this!
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering because someone I know is planning on getting this done and I'm not really for it.. would you do it again? And do they teach you how to eat differently after the surgery.. or is the weight gain now due to the device failing? I just find the idea of it scary. Did you find it hard to get proper nutrition?
  • vsteele6
    vsteele6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had RNY 5/4/16. It is ONLY a tool, nothing more. Many people have the surgery performed and don't realize the work that has to go into the process. I journal, write down everything I put in my mouth, whether it is good or bad for my body. I also exercise regularly. The surgery is ONLY a tool! I am sorry that you are struggling. I have gained and lost the same 100lbs my whole life, but now I know that I must change the way that I think and deal with food. I know that people that belong to support groups, meet regularly with a nutritionist, journal, and keep accountable to your intake, have a much higher rate of success. There are many blog groups on Facebook that you can join...RK living room, RK kitchen, Bariatric social, etc. these are just a few of the groups on FB. I hope this helps. I would also, call my MD that did the surgery and ask them for help., Also, do not miss your F/U appts. and/or labs. Hope this helps. Hang in there, you can do this! There is also a group called No Bariatric Regain that you can join. :-)
  • KrysKiss87
    KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering because someone I know is planning on getting this done and I'm not really for it.. would you do it again? And do they teach you how to eat differently after the surgery.. or is the weight gain now due to the device failing? I just find the idea of it scary. Did you find it hard to get proper nutrition?

I was just sleeved 3 weeks ago. The sleeve or any other surgery really is just a tool to help you on your journey. They do teach you how to eat differently and you MUST exercise. You still get proper nutrition as long as you take your vitamins, get your protein and water in, and maintain your portions (which is the main purpose of bariatric procedures) I feel fantastic after my surgery. Its probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. My health has improved and I feel tons better. Its a scary thing, but for some, its the only answer.

OP, I'm still really new to this whole surgery thing, so I can't say I know how you feel, But I can tell you that I struggle with cravings and "Head hunger" all the time. I find my best motivation is when I think of one of the many reasons I chose to get the surgery and focus on that. For me its my son. I have to be healthy for him. Find something that inspires you and keep it in the forefront of your mind. If you ever need someone to be accountable to, or a friend, or just a fellow sleever to talk to, feel free to message me or send me a friend request! Best of luck!
  • SherrieBee71
    SherrieBee71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2009. Best decision I have ever made for ME. Sadly, I went through a divorce and stress as a single mother..and pounds began coming back. Gastric is a TOOL. And you have to remember that, and know that it will help but it will not take out the things that helped you gain in the first place. For me? Emotional and stress eating. Depression. All those were still there and after dropping all that weight, they were still there. Because I was still ME. I am currently 198lbs (lowest after surgery was 129). I am looking to get to 140ish. I too feel like a failure but I also know I can do this. We all can! Go get it girls :blush:
  • angelic1ang
    angelic1ang Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had RNY in 2005. I started gaining weight back in 2011 due to medications but then after that it was my fault from stress eating and depression. I am almost back to my highest weight. Seriously, I could be there in just one more year of eating like I don't care. I've been gaining about 20 lbs a year for the last 5 years. I lose weight and then gain it back and more. I am back just today to start journaling again and get back on top of this.

Anyone can friend me as well.
  • Exquisitern
    Exquisitern Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass 20 years ago. After 10 years, I started to gain back. My original weight at bypass was 335 lbs, I lost to 160 and was good for a long time, but lack of discipline, watching what I ate, and not exercising brought me back to 250lbs. I yo-yo'd for about 5 years and couldn't motivate myself. I finally made a decision, that I had to do something different and began watching what I ate. I lost 50lbs over the course of a year just doing that but when I hit 200 lbs, the scale wouldn't budge. I started watching what I ate and I began walking and then started jogging. Albeit I am a slow jogger, but I jog. I lost down to 160. I've gained 25 back in the last year from the same bad behavior. I'm back watching what I eat and started back walking and jogging. I've lost 8 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I am motivated as I'm going to New Orleans at the end of October and I want to be able to eat during the holidays without feeling extreme guilt, but my long term goal is that when I retire, I want to be able to travel and to do that I need to be healthy. I'm 59 and I feel that I can attain my goal. Anyone that would like to friend me is more than welcome. I agree it is only a tool, but yes, I would do it all over again. Donna