Loose skin?

I'm 5'9 at 208 pounds and I plan to lose 30 pounds by December 31st, 2016. However, I'm worried about loose skin. Should I be worried? Am I losing too much to quickly? Also, I'm 20 years old. Will age affect it in any way?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,887 Member
    There are 14 weeks until December 31. With only 30 pounds to lose, you shouldn't try to lose more than a pound a week initially, then drop it down to a half pound a week when you are closer to goal.

That said, with your young age and only 30 pounds to lose, loose skin isn't really much of a risk factor.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Hi, don't worry! The younger you are, the better the skin contracts. There are genetic factors as well, for some skin is more flexible, for others it isn't. But with just 30 ounds to loose and you being young, I think it will be fine.

I've lost around 50 pounds, am double your age and my skin is great.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    I don't think with your stats that's something to worry about too much. I've got plenty of loose skin, and I I don't care. Some of it will catch up, some of it won't. What's important is about how much younger, stronger and more energetic I feel. What's important is getting rid of this visceral fat in the middle that puts my life and health in danger.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    I'm proud of my wrinkles after losing 78 lb, and I damn well intend to have more wrinkles. I'm also much older and started much fatter.

You are AWESOME!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    At your age and with only 30 lbs to lose, you should be fine. But there is no point in worrying about it. You want to lose the weight regardless, right?

@Jeromebetta I agree. After losiong 147 lbs at age 59-61, I still would much rather have loose skin than fat!
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    I started at 229 pounds in June. Now I am 203 pounds. After 26 pounds lost I have no sign of loose skin and I am 44.
    We are all different when it comes to loose skin but it usually happens with people who much higher weight than 30 pounds.
    You are young also. You should be fine.
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    I have saggy skin after losing over 70lbs in 2 years. I've started a better skin care routine now and already seeing the results. Remember your skin is your largest organ. We should care for it like our hearts xxxx
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Since you don't already have loose skin with only 30 more pounds to lose, your young skin might spring back with no problem. Try not to gain and lose quickly over and over and work hard to eat at maintenance calories to stabilize when you get to goal so your body will adjust to your new weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    LegacyLion wrote: »
    I'm 5'9 at 208 pounds and I plan to lose 30 pounds by December 31st, 2016. However, I'm worried about loose skin. Should I be worried? Am I losing too much to quickly? Also, I'm 20 years old. Will age affect it in any way?

Why do you want to lose 30 pounds by a specific date?

With only 30 pounds left to lose, I suggest you set your goals to lose 1 pound for the first 10 pounds and .5 pounds for the last 20. That would average out to about 15 pounds by December 31. That's healthy and sustainable. Continue your journey and lose the rest, and then go into maintenance.

You might have loose skin anyway due to genetics, but if you lose quickly you risk losing muscle mass and becoming skinny fat, which includes more lose skin.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Loose skin was an excuse I used for not doing anything about my weight. Now I've decided that I can live with loose skin, but I can't live being fat (quite literally). I figure I'll lose the weight and deal with the loose skin when I get there.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2016
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That said, with your young age and only 30 pounds to lose, loose skin isn't really much of a risk factor.

This is not true. Loose skin can happen to anybody of any age. Some is genetics, and some is losing weight too fast.

We really don't know if this OP has anything to worry about when it comes to lose skin.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,887 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This is not true. Loose skin can happen to anybody of any age. Some is genetics, and some is losing weight too fast.

We really don't know if this OP has anything to worry about when it comes to lose skin.

I did suggest the OP lose it slowly.

I am willing to stand corrected by any 21 year olds who developed loose skin after losing 30 pounds...slowly.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I lost my weight very slowly and am 28 and have some loose skin wrinkles. They're subtle, but I can find them. It's mostly around joints-- inside of elbow, armpit, plus boobs.

Only I notice it and I would still rather be fit and healthy with a little bit of looseness rather than bigger and unhealthy with filled out, pudgy skin.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    losing very slowly @ 1 pound per week.. paranoid about lose skin but it's better than being fat I think
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I've lost over 60 pounds, and am over 60 years old, and the loose skin isn't terrible - nothing you'd really notice when I'm wearing street clothing, unless you knew exactly what to look for. And it seems to be improving with time (I've been maintaining for 7-8 months now, after taking 10-11 months to lose the weight). I think it may help that I was quite active even while fat, so maybe better than average skin elasticity and circulation for my age.

Even if it were worse loose skin, I think I look better than I did fat, and I certainly feel much, much better and am healthier (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.).
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited September 2016
    You're a lot more likely to gain it back in a year than have significant loose skin, you being only 20 and it being only 30 pounds. If you have to worry about something, worry about keeping it off.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I did suggest the OP lose it slowly.

I am willing to stand corrected by any 21 year olds who developed loose skin after losing 30 pounds...slowly.

Loose skin is not nearly the risk for OP as for someone who is losing 150 pounds at age 60. Saying it's not much of a risk factor is not the same as saying absolutely it won't happen to you.