Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Some weights better than none at all?

Are some weights better than no weights at all?

I am trying to jog intensely 4 times a week while following an 1,650-1750 calorie a day diet most days. I am 5'6 and want to lose 25 pounds.

Truth be told, I find weight lifting so boring and after my run, I am so tired that I don't really want to spend another half hour in the gym exerting myself. So what I do is I pick up 8-lbs free weights and do one set of bicep curls, one set of tricep curls, one set of shoulder presses, one set of chest presses, etc, and then I am done.

Am i wasting my time with one set of these or is it better to be doing a little bit than nothing at all?

Replies

• cbrealtor55
    cbrealtor55 Posts: 37 Member
    I would lift two days a week, at least body weight excersies. Push ups, sit ups, air squats, and lunges. Would make a huge difference.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Yes, that's a waste of time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited September 2016
    Have you tried lifting before your cardio? If you really despise lifting, the cardio can be your reward for doing it.

A good strength training program can positively effect your running, improve your speed, etc. I would suggest a beginner full-body program like Stronglifts 5X5. You can check it out at stronglifts.com, and download the app so you can track your progress at the gym. There are only 5 exercises total, and you only do 3 per day. You only work the program three days a week, so it won't be too overwhelming.

Ultimately, the best exercise is the one you will stick with. Do what you want.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I think largely what you are doing is going to be ineffective. I do think you would benefit from a structured resistance program and it doesn't ave to be traditional in the sense. Body pump, cross fit, or even a good body resistance program will still provide benefit and you might find them more to your liking. So try out a few different types of programs.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i dont think its a waste of time , if you can do those few sets each day, you are developing good habits and routine. You might hate it today, but tomorrow you might try a different lift, and you might start to feel good , and then maybe add a little weight or meet some friends that challenge you to lift more, and in 6 months or a year you might start enjoying it. weight lifting isn't always about the physical, a lot of it is about the mental. and its not about the short term, its about the forever lifestyle change.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2016
    It's better than nothing, but it's not doing a huge amount.

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    I know how you feel. Running can be more fun in a way. You just go. Lifting is different. You just have to build an appreciation for it. It's about flexing, feeling the pump, the circulation to your muscles. You focus on the muscle you're working. You contract the muscle with your mind, not just mindlessly picking up weights. Don't extend out all the way. Keep the reps within 80% of full range of motion to maintain constant tension. It takes a few sets to build a pump. Eating wholegrain carbs like oatmeal or brown rice an hour before your workout will help. It can be quit satisfying.
    I would separate it from your running, so do it on the days you do not run. Don't worry about what weight you are lifting. Use the weight that feels good, and pump out a few reps. At first it might be boring, but you might get into it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I definitely enjoy running as opposed to weight lifting as well.
    But weight lifting has so many benefits. It's even helped my running performance.
    I'm following the strong curves program right now as I'm training for a marathon and strong curves focuses a lot on lower body.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    nkuyumcu wrote: »
    Truth be told, I find weight lifting so boring and after my run, I am so tired that I don't really want to spend another half hour in the gym exerting myself.

I really don't love lifting, either, and I love riding a bike. Sometimes a ride can get a little too spirited, and I wind up spent and not wanting to lift, too. So, now, on days I'm scheduled to lift, I do that before I get on the bike.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes, that's pretty much a waste of time. You'd be better served doing some kind of full body program once per week or something and getting in a legit workout. My wife is a runner (and sometimes cyclist) and that is her main fitness priority...but she also understands that lifting makes her a better running (and sometimes cyclist) so she lifts...she only hits it once per week, but she hits it hard...bonus, she looks phenomenal. I myself generally lift twice per week...it's also not my primary focus...but I follow legit programming and hit it hard those two days.
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i dont think its a waste of time , if you can do those few sets each day, you are developing good habits and routine. You might hate it today, but tomorrow you might try a different lift, and you might start to feel good , and then maybe add a little weight or meet some friends that challenge you to lift more, and in 6 months or a year you might start enjoying it. weight lifting isn't always about the physical, a lot of it is about the mental. and its not about the short term, its about the forever lifestyle change.

I can also see this POV...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Resistance training helps your running. Try a bodyweight based programme as an approach.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Anything is almost always better than nothing. Whether it accomplishes your goals would be another question.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    I think you should use the shake weight. There is an on-line video to follow. Sort but you could do it 3x a week.