Do you count your calorie as a Sedentary person when losing weight?

Options
unnichaacko
unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so, I was confused how to ask it in one sentence discussion title question.

So here goes, when you are trying to lose weight, naturally you will cut calories and work out four to six times a week. So while logging in MFP, do you count your estimated calories in sedentary level and then add your workout calories? Or you log yourself as moderately active and then cut calories from that total amount?

Because if you put sedentary, and you are working out, I figured it gives a very low amount and then that you are eating that low amount in addition to working out. Isn't that really harmful for your body to eat such low calories?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

So here goes, when you are trying to lose weight, naturally you will cut calories and workout four to six times a week. So while logging in MFP, do you count your estimated calories in sedentary level and then add your workout calories? Or you put yourself moderately active and then cut calories from that.

Because if you put sedentary, even when you are working out, I figured it gives a very low amount and then that you are eating that amount in addition to working out. Isn't that really harmful for your body to eat such a low calories?

I would say it depends on your preference. Including activity level in your factor is essentially the TDEE method. If you follow the MFP method, then you would eat back exercise calories (should be about the same as the TDEE method). In the end, do you prefer to add calorie or aim for the same amount of calories daily. I prefer the TDEE method since you aren't guessing how many calories you burn.

Also, if you don't want a low number, don't aim for 2lbs a week. Aim for 1.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I put sedentary just because without my workouts I'm usually sitting on my tush the whole day :) I'm not sure how much of a difference the two options makes in calorie amounts...I'm given 1200 calories a day and am able to eat about 1400 with my workouts. For my age and height I think that's a reasonable amount, and sometimes it feels like too much because I'm so full. I'd say just do whatever feels best to you intuitively. What's harmfully low for some people may be the perfect amount for others.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can't answer for everyone but I am naturally sedentary (less than 5,000 steps a day) so I set mfp to that. Then I log my exercise on top of that. I feel it is more accurate but just my personal preference. And that way I know the proper amount to eat on days I am not working out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're putting yourself as sedentary and you workout...well, you're not sedentary any more are you? With MFP you account for that by logging the exercise and getting additional calories because your exercise was not accounted for in your activity level.

Some people also just include exercise in their activity level..so they might put light active or moderately active depending on what exercise they do...and then they would just eat those calories...they wouldn't need to cut from that number because MFP, regardless of activity level is giving you a cut from an estimated maintenance number of calories.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    If you set it to sedentary, you should be sure to log ALL your exercise (including walking, cleaning etc) and then eat back half the calories from exercise for a month or so and then based on your rate of loss, adjust your calories appropriately.

I found it easier to keep it on sedentary because my exercise is sporadic.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I put lightly active and then do better. I don't eat back my calories for the most part. I have used a bit of them when I am a tad over.
  • unnichaacko
    Options
    In my case, I am a pretty small person to begin with, 5', and weight hovers around 105-108. And being an animator I usually work 10/12 hours a day which should consider as sedentary I know but I always remember to get up from my chair every 45 minutes to do 5-10 push-ups/1 minute plank and some 2 minutes walk. I also am training for semi-professional ultimate which is four hours a week, in addition to that, I play soccer once a week, do manage to do two HIIT cardio a week and a very recent attempt of lifting 3 times a week. Now I accounted myself as sedentary and the amount that it gave me was so low, I don't think I ate that low even in my early teen. Even then, i followed it for five days and I feel my back is dying due to low amount of calories because I have been told there's nothing called over exercising but there's under eating. I think I am under eating at 1600/1700 calories. But my friend thinks, considering my height and weight, its the right amount of calories, if not more. So here I am, very confused.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options

So here goes, when you are trying to lose weight, naturally you will cut calories and work out four to six times a week. So while logging in MFP, do you count your estimated calories in sedentary level and then add your workout calories? Or you log yourself as moderately active and then cut calories from that total amount?

Because if you put sedentary, and you are working out, I figured it gives a very low amount and then that you are eating that low amount in addition to working out. Isn't that really harmful for your body to eat such low calories?

I set myself to sedentary and add my workout calories when I work out and then eat most of them back. I COULD put "lightly active", but then I would have to consistently be lightly active. Some days I don't go to the gym. It just feels safer this way.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do exactly that: Selected sedentary and then log my workouts on top of that. So far it's working well. I imagine at some point I'll need to make adjustments but as long as my weight is trending downward in my Saturday morning weigh-ins I'm staying the course.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    They are all estimates in the end. I say eat 1600-1700 calories daily, track for 4-6 weeks and adjust from there.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I listed sedentary, have a low caloric target, my only daily exercise is usually walking the dog, and I aim to eat about half of my exercise calories back. Seems to be working well for me.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Personally I have myself set as sedentary no matter what (I'm maintaining) and just have my fitbit adjustment flicked on to determine where my calories theoretically should be based on my 15k+ steps of activity per day
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    If you set it to sedentary, you should be sure to log ALL your exercise (including walking, cleaning etc) and then eat back half the calories from exercise for a month or so and then based on your rate of loss, adjust your calories appropriately.

cleaning should not be added as an exercise unless you rarely do it. if its something you do in your daily chores then it should be included with your activity level,same with cooking,food prep,etc
  • ogtmama
    Options
    In my case, I am a pretty small person to begin with, 5', and weight hovers around 105-108. And being an animator I usually work 10/12 hours a day which should consider as sedentary I know but I always remember to get up from my chair every 45 minutes to do 5-10 push-ups/1 minute plank and some 2 minutes walk. I also am training for semi-professional ultimate which is four hours a week, in addition to that, I play soccer once a week, do manage to do two HIIT cardio a week and a very recent attempt of lifting 3 times a week. Now I accounted myself as sedentary and the amount that it gave me was so low, I don't think I ate that low even in my early teen. Even then, i followed it for five days and I feel my back is dying due to low amount of calories because I have been told there's nothing called over exercising but there's under eating. I think I am under eating at 1600/1700 calories. But my friend thinks, considering my height and weight, its the right amount of calories, if not more. So here I am, very confused.

Are you logging all your exercise? What did you set your goal at? For only losing a little bit it should be set at half a pound per week, otherwise you'll risk losing muscle instead of fat.
  • ogtmama
    edited September 2016
    Options

cleaning should not be added as an exercise unless you rarely do it. if its something you do in your daily chores then it should be included with your activity level,same with cooking,food prep,etc

If you put in sedentary, it's not counting it. My point was that because I do a lot of cleaning on one day (like hours) and none the next...it makes more sense to keep it on sedentary and count all activity.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I did not set my activity level to sedentary because I am not sedentary. I do not sit down from 10 am until 6 pm when we eat dinner. I added calories for purposeful exercise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's really personal preference. For about half my weight loss and at maintenance I preferred estimating my exercise for the week and subtracting for that, as I didn't like eating so little on rest days and my hunger didn't seem to vary that much. I'm currently trying to get motivated to lose a bit more and I'm debating whether to keep that plan or go back to the MFP add back exercise. Even if I did that I'd probably go with lightly active, though, since I am without intentional exercise.
  • unnichaacko
    Options

Are you logging all your exercise? What did you set your goal at? For only losing a little bit it should be set at half a pound per week, otherwise you'll risk losing muscle instead of fat.

This is where I mixed up. I did add my exercise/activity (soccer/training) calories but I did not eat those up. I ate the amount it recommended which was 1580, so I ate about 1600 every day where I think most days after adding my activity I had about 2100/2300 calories, 3000 calories on a day even.
  • psuLemon
    Options

This is where I mixed up. I did add my exercise/activity (soccer/training) calories but I did not eat those up. I ate the amount it recommended which was 1580, so I ate about 1600 every day where I think most days after adding my activity I had about 2100/2300 calories, 3000 calories on a day even.

Keep in mind that exercise calories can be vastly off for some.