Birth control and weight loss

Options
I've heard that birth control slows down weight loss or impedes it period. Any ladies finding truth to this or is it just an excuse some woman use?

Replies

• annmarie0717
    annmarie0717 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 10 years and don't think it makes a big difference, but everyone is different
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of bc. I take pills and that hasn't been true for me. My best friend did the shot and she gained about 50.
  • byoung8433
    byoung8433 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Interesting
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been an issue for me, it doesn't seem likely, but I'm no doctor. I would suggest following the plan and see what happens, if it seems like it might be stopping weight loss then there are other BC pills that can be tried.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I did gain weight when I as on birth control pills, but it was also around when my thyroid started going wonky. More likely the thyroid. I use the hormonal IUD now and I'm having no problem losing weight. I've heard that can be a side effect. If one type of birth control pills aren't working for you, there are tons of options and you can try another, but I'd track your calories very carefully first so you know how much you would expect to lose, and you have a basis for comparison if you try a different type of pill.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I went on the shot over 10 yrs ago and I actually lost 5-10 lbs when I started. But I know that's not the norm. For most women I know it increases their appetite.
    I went on another medication a few years ago and that REALLY increased my appetite. That's what it is. It may not seem like it, but it's increasing your hunger. So you can go on any BC and not gain weight. Every person is different. But if the scale starts going up....start counting those calories! Because it will catch up to you very fast if you don't.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Not for me.
  • 100poundsx
    100poundsx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the implant and have not had any weight loss issues. I have heard the shot and the patch can be less effective for heavier women.
  • BrownieKitty12345
    BrownieKitty12345 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've taken bc for the past 13 years for anemia. I recently stopped because I started having migraines. I stopped last week of May and haven't noticed any difference in my weight loss.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been on the shot (Depo Provera) for like, 20 years and it's never made a difference for me. I gain, I lose, I gain again, I lose again. It's not the birth control, its the choices I'm making.
  • BexTheSquirrel
    BexTheSquirrel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did notice an uptick in weight gain after getting my Mirena (hormonal IUD) replaced earlier this year and it has definitely made me hungrier but I have also not been eating well and have been lazy af on my exercise so... I am hesitate to blame the BC for that. We'll see.