Hips hurt after running

Options
Kelblue1
Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
Anyone elses hips hurt after they run?? Does that mean I have bad form? After I run and cool down for a few min. I really start to notice that my hips hurt. For all the women who have kiddos. They hurt like they did when I was 7-9 months pregnant. After about 20 min or so of relaxing it does usually go away. Any ideas?

Replies

• stephaluphagus
    Options
    For me it's my lower back. And that's what i was thinking that it may be my form, but also i found out if i stretch REALLY good before and after it's not as bad..but like you the pain lasts about 20 minutes after my run...Maybe try doing some hip stretchers beforehand? i also take a couple tylenol about 20 min before i plan on running...
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are you running on concrete? My joints ache when I run on concrete sidewalks. Try running on asphalt (on the edge of the road against traffic so you see traffic coming)...or find some grass to run in and see if that helps. Also...check your shoes...are they worn out?My joints also ache when it's time for new shoes.
  • lggarland
    lggarland Posts: 9
    Options
    I notice the same thing- usually just like you said- for awhile after I finish up. I just started back running again 3 wks ago and also wondered if it was bad form. I'm interested to hear the replies as well.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would recommend hip strengthening exercises, such as the adduction and abduction machines at a gym. It is common for runners to have weak hips and core muscles. Weak hips can also lead to knee, IT band, ankle, and other issues.

From my own experience I've noticed a difference from strengthening my hips and core.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Look into doing a 'hip flexer' stretch.
  • BeGreat25
    BeGreat25 Posts: 78
    Options
    Hey there Kelblue1- personally I never had this injury. But from what I've read if you think it could be bad form it's never too late to do some research and practice good form. Also definitely get some 5-10 stretch before and after you start your run. Stretch your hip and legs out , running can be hard on your body. Also icing and ibuprofen will help. Feel better.
  • jfaure4444
    Options
    I had this problem as well after a few years of running. Look into IT band stretches. If your IT band is tight, it irritates your hips as it moves over them as you run. Stretching your IT band before and in the middle of a run helps a lot. Don't stretch it aggressively, just gently stretch it.

One stretch is while standing, cross over one foot behind the other. Then lean sideways towards your rear foot. It helps to hold on to something while doing this. You can feel the stretch in the outside of your leg. Repeat with other leg. This pretty much cured the problem for me.

John