Finally got my food scale but where do I log my grams in the MFP journal?

Options
Hi,

While I have been using MFP, I mostly log my food elsewhere. Now that I have my food scale, I wanted to move over to using MFP food journal, but I don't see where to log my exact grams. When I add or scan a food, it shows me the exact serving size and I'm to add in the number of servings or I can change the serving size to recommended grams, 1g, 1 container, 2oz or 1oz, but no where do I see a place to punch in a specific number of grams, oz, cups, etc. Is there some place to do this here? Or should I stick with my other place that lets me put in exact numbers?

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Quite a lot of foods don't have a weight measurement in the database since it doesn't allow multiple types of measurement on the same entry (e.g. both weight (g) and volume (cups)), but you can still use the food scale. For instance, if you have cereal and the serving size is listed as "3/4 cup (30g)", and you weigh out 45g, you know it's 1.5 servings. You have to do some extra math, but this method makes sure the serving sizes you are logging are correct and it's still easier, faster, and more accurate than using measuring cups.

edit: you can also try to find a duplicate entry that's listed in grams, but that is usually more work given the poor search algorithm MFP uses.
  • Bworms1980
    Bworms1980 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OK, thank you.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    To get the best accuracy you're better off manually logging all your foods yourself as then you can enter in 100g and change the weight when you enter the food in your diary, also that way you'll know it has been entered correctly. There are a lot of inaccuracies in the database.
  • squarewheels66
    squarewheels66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I search on database for e.g. 'carrots 100g' and that usually brings up an option with 100g
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    To get the best accuracy you're better off manually logging all your foods yourself as then you can enter in 100g and change the weight when you enter the food in your diary, also that way you'll know it has been entered correctly. There are a lot of inaccuracies in the database.

I've changed most of my foods to 1g and then just log how many servings of 1g I have. So I would have 227 servings of 1g of yogurt, etc. When I do 100g I keep forgetting the decimal point and end up with very, very large servings (like a 10,000 calorie banana!).