Help! Wide running shoes? Hard to do cardio with foot pain! :(

Options
Hi everyone!

So I really like cardio as a form of exercise. I'll occasionally go to the gym for personal training, a class, or strength training, but there's nothing I love more than going on a cardio machine for an hour while watching a tv show and getting alll the endorphins (and burned calories!).

However, after about 10 minutes on any machine where I'm supporting my weight on my feet (i.e. elliptical and treadmill, but not the stationary bike) I get excruciating pain at the sides of my feet! I think it's clear my shoes don't fit. I think the main problem is I have this bone or something towards the heels of my feet - so it's not just the front of my feet that are wide. But most sneakers narrow towards the ankle so you have more support.

I got these a few months ago at one of those stores that analyses you on a treadmill and shows you 30 pairs. I purchased a pair in wide, but clearly only towards the front. This week, I've visited 4+ sneaker stores to try to find wider models - no luck. I probably have to go online.

Any recommendations? I have these bookmarked on Amazon - maybe the C/D width would help me out. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CVP9MG/
I was also thinking of booking a podiatrist appointment.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to go back to the store where purchased and explain the problem. Some will replace, refund, or give you credit even though you've worn them outside because they want happy customers.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have 2e wide feet and heel spurs. Altras are the best fit for me, but it took a little time to get used to the zero drop.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I learned awhile ago that I have to buy the C/D running shoes or I end up with problems. Many stores will let you exchange shoes so I second the suggestion to go back to the store where you bought the first pair. Explain the situation and ask to try wide shoes that fit your feet. I found that I could buy shoes a half size smaller when I went to wide so if they don't fit properly in the current size you might try a half size smaller.

And if it helps, I found that Brooks shoes were a bit wider in the heel than Mizunos when I was buying my first pair. Not sure if Brooks will work for you but it's worth a try.
  • robingoblin
    robingoblin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! It's been several months (way beyond the return period) because I masochistically thought I could break them in for over a month, then I traveled a lot this summer, and I've been quietly suffering for at least a month now. I could try, although at this point I also don't have faith in that store considering they sold me torture shoes. (And I DID explain I had wide feet at the initial assessment)

Noted about Altras and Brooks! Thanks!

It seems that the sneaker stores near me don't stock C/Ds. Is it crazy to buy online??

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My running store does not carry wides. But will order them for me.

Two months ago, I upgraded to Newton Gravity after 5 weeks I got 5th metatarsal stress reaction (not quite a stress fracture but beginning of one) and they took those shoes right back. A good running store has the capability to take them back as part of their agreement with the mfg the buy from.

Give the return a try.

You can try on their narrows or what they carry and buy the wides on line. Not sure what to tell you but go back and have your gait tested a gain, and your feet resized and tell them about your issues, they should make it right.
  • katiegregory23
    katiegregory23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what size shoe you wear, but I finally gave in and started buying men's running shoes a couple of years ago. I usually just get them in black and white so you can't really tell. They aren't very flashy, but the are much more comfortable!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what size shoe you wear, but I finally gave in and started buying men's running shoes a couple of years ago.!

That's what we do for our daughter (running shoes, soccer cleats, hockey skates......) it's all about getting a perfect fit.

OP - a pair of running shoes should never need breaking in, they should fit like a glove straight out of the box.

• fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Another vote for mens here. Womens just aren't wide enough for me to run comfortably for any length of time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not super helpful, but I always end up buying New Balance. These are (generally) wider than Nike, Adidas, Sketchers, or Avia.

Men's shoes - why didn't I think of that?
  • azelizabeth
    azelizabeth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have had both saucony and broke ina wide width and have had great luck with them. Beleive it or not you might find good deals on eBay just search your size and width and make sure they are new.
  • electrickazoo
    electrickazoo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have (apparently) very wide feet too, and I second what mrp56839 said about the Altras - they're the best, most comfortable shoe I've ever owned. I personally like the zero drop and bought them partially for that as well, but you may not be a fan (and if you're going from a shoe with drop make sure you take it easy so you don't hurt yourself).

That being said, others on here are right - go back to the shore store you bought them from. Most running stores, etc treat you quite well and will go out of their way to make sure that you get the right shoe.