How on earth did I allow myself to get like this?

Options
I am a terrible procrastinator in my personal life with a terribly demanding job. I leave it all at the office and come home after 12 hour days exhausted, eat and crash. I try desperately to break the pattern, but my damn cell phone keeps ringing and text messages keep coming. I have to find a way to do this or I'm going to be dead in two years. I am 55 pounds over weight. I can barely get up a flight of stairs. WTF!!!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Really sorry to hear you're struggling. Is there any way you can work fewer hours? Or be OFF the clock when you're not at work? Anything to reduce that stress would be a great start.

After that, don't beat yourself up. That will only create negative thoughts. Start small. Change one eating habit for a week or so and then add another. Keep building on that. Exercise helps relieve stress and gives you energy but it doesn't have to be strict or scripted. Just go for a quick walk around the block.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that you have to carve out some "OFF" time. Are you a business owner?
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I would start as the other posters suggest, give yourself a time to actually quit work each day and don't answer cell phone calls or text until the next working day. Unless you own the business there is no way you can get personal time in when constantly working. Say you will only answer calls/texts between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. (or whatever schedule works for you)
    After you give yourself a break and some off time, you'll see you've got a little extra time for you. Taking a ten minute walk in the evening in the neighborhood.... it is a start....and you'll feel great after some fresh air and a little mind-clearing time.
    Calorie in and calories out is the way to go, if you ask me. Once you've decided to live for you, just remember to eat healthy foods that make you feel good....and LOG LOG LOG everything you eat, being truthful about what you are eating.

You can do this!!!
  • michelle_more2live4
    Options
    I empathize; it took me quitting a job I loved anf taking 6 months off so I could get healthy and happy. I am just re-entering the work force and I am finding if I go for a walk at lunch and then a walk immediately after I get home I can get in 45-60 mins of exercise. I am also making smarter choices by brining my lunch to work, yes it is only pb&j with a piece of fruit but it stops me from gorging and fills me up until I get home. I am also incorporating 8-10oz of water and that is helping me get up from my desk at least once an hour. I wish you all the best and I know you can do small changes which lead to big changes. Good luck in your journey!
  • gbonner1205
    gbonner1205 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was having a moment. Great advice, all of it. Much appreciated. Wow!
  • the0cuteness
    the0cuteness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Replace some meals with Soylent. Then you won't have to think about food and save yourself buckets of time. I haven't done this myself, but a bunch of MIT students are doing it to save time.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible procrastinator in my personal life with a terribly demanding job. I leave it all at the office and come home after 12 hour days exhausted, eat and crash. I try desperately to break the pattern, but my damn cell phone keeps ringing and text messages keep coming. I have to find a way to do this or I'm going to be dead in two years. I am 55 pounds over weight. I can barely get up a flight of stairs. WTF!!!

When you get home, turn the phone off and take that hour to do something for yourself.

Now fall is here, I promised myself to walk every, failing that I will do a DVD, but I have to do something. Would like to lose 25-30 lbs by year's end. I am tired of being fat, it is not a happy place to be. Good luck.
  • mollylautz
    mollylautz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I am a 50ish hour per week employee and find it exhausting to even think of grocery shopping let alone making my health and body a priority, but as the others on the board have said, little changes add up. You can do it!!!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to find another job? Stress will kill a person and being overweight doesn't help as you know. You have to find a way to have 'down' time and if this job won't allow it then maybe it's time to look for something else. Good luck!