Going to the gym vs. Working out at home...

Options

Replies

• Connieluvsfitness
    Options
    ...what do you prefer to do and why?
    I'm 50/50. I like all the equipment the gym has to offer and I love swimming for cardio. But after a long day, I just want to go home and workout there. There's also the fact that it can get crazy busy at the gym and you wait forever to use a machine.
    So, what do you guys prefer?

Gym the atmosphere is good and I'm in a apartment way more space and more equipment. I can do yoga at home but anything else gym is my choice
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »
    Gym! I love the buzz in the gym.. watching others workout and getting new ideas for programming, talking to other people with a similar interest, as well as all the equipment (I go to a pretty good gym with a wide range of racks, cables, sled track etc).

This right here. I would love to workout at home, but I don't get the same motivation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't have wifi so it's a pretty big turn off when I want to watch my shows!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Home. I miss some of the commercial gym equipment I don't have the money nor the room for, but I am not a patient person and despise waiting for the stuff I need.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Gym. Cats are not underfoot in the gym lol.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm very extroverted. I like to have people around and I'm motivated by the energy. I love to go to the gym. Someone said their gym doesn't have wifi and that would make it worse. I listen to Spotify when I'm at the gym.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Home.
    A gym is not an option due to location or finances but honestly I would never exercise if I had to go somewhere to do it. At home it is easy to just do something for 30 minutes while dinner is cooking or the clothes washer is running.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If I had a power rack, bench, olympic bar and some plates, home for sure. I don't like people.

I used to think like this. But, after changing gyms, I've found that there's nothing better than competent bench spotters to help with liftoff and push me harder.
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Gym. Cats are not underfoot in the gym lol.

There's that, too. Chip (the little guy in my avatar) decided he was going to help me stretch last night. I can only imagine him trying to help me deadlift.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    No waiting. No sharing or stealing equipment. No closures. No bros. No unsolicited conversation. No sweaty machines. No bad music. No hours. No driving. No fees. No excuses!

No contest. I started working out at home 5 years ago and never looked back!

This.....
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just follow how I feel and do whichever one--as long as I do something!! I usually get a better workout in the gym just because of the contagious environment, but if I can tell I am just NOT in the mood to go, I make sure I immediately do some kind of workout at home when I get there. I think the best option is whichever place you feel you'd do your best at the time!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    HOME! I absolutely LOVE working out at home. But.... this is only because I've been able to collect the equipment I want and need for a small home gym. I had a gym membership for the last 4 years and a trainer for 1, and I still had issues walking into the weight room with confidence. Not to mention the travel and waiting. At home I really push myself and love working out. It can get expensive buying home gym equipment, most of mine is used. But it pays off in the long run. I don't miss the gym whatsoever!
  • Megansonthemoon
    Megansonthemoon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My gym doesn't have wifi so it's a pretty big turn off when I want to watch my shows!

That's the worst! I have to either listen to my music or watch a show when I'm on the elliptical or bike.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym to lift...I enjoy it. My trainer is the owner and always there to give advice, etc. He's also a really good friend, so it's nice to get in there and say hi...we usually chill and chat for 10-15 minutes when I'm done. With a home gym, I wouldn't be able to have nearly the equipment available to me...or the space to put it.

Other than that, I cycle so I'm out on the road...save for I am buying an indoor trainer for this winter
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The outdoors. Lakes for swimming, mountains for climbing, trails for running, and roads for cycling. Better views, no membership fees, and the air smells good.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    At home. I have a power rack in the basement. I can do my 5x5 workout by myself, with my own music, on my own time. I may join a gym later, when I shift to cut cycle.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I get up and go run. I like to go at 4:30 AM so even if I run to the gym (yes I run there too) crowds are never a problem at that hour.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I love my home gym; never have to wait for the machines, no one chatting my ear off while I grunt and sweat.
  • Megansonthemoon
    Megansonthemoon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm the end, it doesn't really matter where you workout, as long as you get a workout in! I'm not part of a gym yet, so I do all my workouts at home. I probably will sign up for a gym soon though. Just so I have the option. I also like the classes that most gyms offer.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm all about working out from home. With two children under 5, going to the gym is just not realistic - there are too many reasons to skip it and I end up being inconsistent. I'm working out at 5:30 am before everyone gets up.

I like that no one sees me, I push myself much harder that way.