Splenda Calories

Options
Why does 1 packet of Splenda show up in the food database as 4 calories? It has a green check next to it too, which is supposed to indicate accuracy. I checked the Splenda website and they label it as a "zero calorie sweetener." What's up here?

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    From Splenda's website: "Each packet has less than 1 gram of carbohydrate and less than 5 calories, which meets FDA's standards for no-calorie foods."
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    US food labeling laws let companies round anything less than 5 calories down to zero calories.

Pam cooking spray (which is mostly oil) gets away with saying it has 0 calories and is fat free by having a small enough serving size to get below that 5 calories.

That's why the US really needs to make companies have a "per 100 grams" nutrition column like some other countries have.

ETA: The green checkmark in the MFP database isn't always accurate so it needs to be double-checked just like other entries. In this case, it does look accurate.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    You are saving 7.48 Cals by using a packet of Splenda vs. a packet of granulated sugar.

1 packet (2.8g) granulated sugar (sucrose) = 10.84 Cals

1 packet (1g) Splenda (sucralose + bulking agent*) = 3.36 Cals

* most likely maltodextrin which is derived from starches and is used in comparable non-brand named items as a dry bulking agent to allow pourability

References:

Sugars, granulated, https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6319

Sweeteners, tabletop, sucralose, SPLENDA packets, https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6425
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    You are saving 7.48 Cals by using a packet of Splenda vs. a packet of granulated sugar.

* most likely maltodextrin which is derived from starches and is used in comparable non-brand named items as a dry bulking agent to allow pourability

References:

Sweeteners, tabletop, sucralose, SPLENDA packets, https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6425

Where was this post a year ago! I spent forever searching for this information last year when I realized that the "no calorie" sweetener I'd been using was adding a ton of calories to my tea every day. I have a major sweet tooth & put 9 grams of sweetener in each 16 oz cup.

OP, if you like sucralose as a substitute, you can buy the liquid form that is actually calorie free. You can get it on Amazon. There are a bunch of different brands.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options
    I use truvia. I think it tastes better than splenda and it IS actually 0 calories.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you think that's bad, try the I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray that says it's 0 calories for a squirt but it has the same calories as the standard version of the product. A lot of people assume that it really doesn't have any calories and end up consuming over 100 calories form a "0 calorie" condiment.

That's how I was duped.

Now if I want butter on something, I just eat butter.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options
    If you think that's bad, try the I Can't Believe it's not Butter spray that says it's 0 calories for a squirt but it has the same calories as the standard version of the product. A lot of people assume that it really doesn't have any calories and end up consuming over 100 calories form a "0 calorie" condiment.

I was putting this on my popcorn. After a week I realized it made the popcorn a weird texture. Now I just pop and eat plain. Plus, popcorn has enough calories without help from anything extra.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I use truvia. I think it tastes better than splenda and it IS actually 0 calories.

3 grams of carbs from Erythritol.

wgaf25adggqv.png

It's a sugar alcohol and can only be partially metabolized. It's about 0.2 calories per gram.

• crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to lllloooovvvveeee my Splenda. Then I started reading mixed feelings about it. The only time I ever used it was in my morning coffee and sometimes in cereal. I "weened" myself off of it, and realized that I really don't need it in my coffee anymore, and if I want something to sweeten my cereal with, I go for honey since it's all natural. This may work for you, as well. Then you don't have to waste money on it, and not worry about the cals, either. lol
  • stargrl88
    stargrl88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This is super helpful!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

References:

Great sources.. I tried searching for what I normally use, Torani sugar free hazelnut syrup and can't find it in there. I know it's sweetened with Splenda so I know it can't be 100% calorie or carb free, but I don't know what ratio Splenda to syrup they use.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you use enough Splenda to rack up a significant number of calories from the maltodextrin, they have recently introduced liquid drops, though they are hard to find.

If you search Amazon for "Liquid Splenda", several alternatives show up. I've been using the stuff for two years now. It's truly a zero calorie sweetener.

I tried Truvia. It doesn't agree with my digestive system.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I may only save 7.48 calories using a splenda pac instead of a sugar one but with the splenda i'm going to use one cause its sweet enough. With sugar i'll use 3 or 4.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I use Splenda daily and log it as 1g carb/4 cals per pack. No big deal. I'd use a lot more of the real stuff.