This isn't working for me.......

Options
2»

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm an estimator too (I've never weighed or measured anything). I find logging impedes my progress - when I see I have calories "leftover" at the end of the day, I want to eat them, whether I'm hungry or not. And this is even when I'm logically aware that those "leftover" calories probably don't exist, since I estimate :D. I'm better off sticking with high satiety foods (for me that is LCHF) and just listening to my hunger cues. Nothing wrong with that, so long as it is working for you.
  • sarahholmes1989
    sarahholmes1989 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi there! 
    I had the same problem. I did not want to be weighing every last thing I ate, then doing the calculations in mfp to come up with the accurate calories.
    I swapped to a portion control system and it worked wonders. I just swapped a few weeks ago and have dropped 8lbs after sitting at the same weight for over a month.
    If you're interested, I can send you more info on the program I use. I have found it much easier and more accurate than logging on mfp!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Portion control does not require "a program" (I hope you aren't trying to sell something), and OP was not complaining about the alleged hardship of logging, but saying that she was doing better before she started. It sounds like she has the self-monitoring down.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    For example, you have "371 calories- 1 serving oatmeal" most days. That's a very.. uneven number that you unlikely replicate daily.

This is exactly what i was doing before joining MFP and using a scale.
    Up to that point i didn't realise how BIG my breakfast was. A load of oatmeal is healthy until you figure out the calories to grams. I eat 25g every morning now. In the old days it used to be 5-6 times that or more (plus handful raisins, seeds, and 'enough' milk.)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I lost over 80lb similarly in the past. I became more active and learned to listen to my body for actual hunger, as opposed to boredom or other reasons I was eating. It worked. Of course when my lifestyle and activity changed I didnt have the toold to correctly adjust my diet and gained back 30lb

Different methods may work at different times so there is no harm in learning to use other tools like weighing and tracking. Through using this site I feel much more prepared to really stay on track now regardless of how my life might change.