Speed

Options
Hi, I am 22-year-old woman and I want to know is there a possibility that I can increase my speed. My PR at 5k is 22:23. Do you think that I am too old to increase my speed? I am running actively from the end of 2014 (almost 2 years). I am also ex-smoker.

Replies

• adelanghe
    adelanghe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Google interval training, it's all there
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of room and time for improvement.
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any reason you can't improve your speed--people far older than you do it all the time. However, you mentioned on another thread that you are training for a marathon. Working on speed does not necessarily increase your endurance. Someone more knowledgeable than me would be able to tell you if you can really work on both at the same time.

I know ppl that run 5ks for 15 min and are also fast in longer distances but that have being training for years.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Kati9408 wrote: »
    Hi, I am 22-year-old woman and I want to know is there a possibility that I can increase my speed. My PR at 5k is 22:23. Do you think that I am too old to increase my speed? I am running actively from the end of 2014 (almost 2 years). I am also ex-smoker.

The answer is yes. How much depends on a number of factors: genetics, volume of training, training focus, etc, etc, etc.

A 5K requires a combination of aerobic and glycolytic metabolism. So, working on either one will likely have a beneficial effect. If someone is training for a marathon, for example, and not highly trained at 5K running, then the aerobic base training for the marathon will likely result in a modest increase in 5K time. However, if one is doing modest aerobic base training (e.g. 30 mil/wk, long run of around 8 miles), then adding tempo training and some interval training will result in greater improvement. The average person will also usually see a performance increase from adding strength training as well.

At your age, you are still far from reaching your physical peak. Given your current times and how long you have been running, I would not think it unreasonable to have a goal to run under 20 min, if you really focused on training for the 5K.

• Kati9408
    Options
    Do I need to go vegeterian or vegan ? How many km should I do per week (at the moment I do 8-10 km a day 38-40 min 8km 50-55 min 10 km).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do I need to go vegeterian or vegan ? How many km should I do per week (at the moment I do 8-10 km a day 38-40 min 8km 50-55 min 10 km).

Vegan or vegetarian? Not necessary in terms of performance.

First thing I'd do is stop running every day and mix up your runs to incorporate at least one speed session per week and x-train on your non-running days (you'll find most training plans will have you running 4 or 5 days per week)

You don't say how long you've been running or how long ago you quit smoking for but it takes several years to reach your peak, the good news is that that many runners don't peak until their late twenties / early thirties.

If you really want to acheive a 15 minute 5K consider joining a running club with coached programs (many local clubs are very affordable)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you are that serious, consider hiring a running coach. It's very difficult for any of us to predict how much better you can get. Given your age and current 5K time, you could probably get under 20, if not a decent amount under.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Get hold of a focussed 5K performance improvement plan or work with a coach.

I'm 46, focus on marathons and my better 5K times are down about 22-23 minutes, so perfectly possible for you to get down to 17 or 18 with the right training.
  • Kati9408
    Options

Vegan or vegetarian? Not necessary in terms of performance.

First thing I'd do is stop running every day and mix up your runs to incorporate at least one speed session per week and x-train on your non-running days (you'll find most training plans will have you running 4 or 5 days per week)

You don't say how long you've been running or how long ago you quit smoking for but it takes several years to reach your peak, the good news is that that many runners don't peak until their late twenties / early thirties.

If you really want to acheive a 15 minute 5K consider joining a running club with coached programs (many local clubs are very affordable)

I've been running only for almost 2 years since the end of 2014 and I have been smoking since 8th grade (so like 7 years)I stopped them for couple of months,I think, then i started working and I was very stressed and started smoking again and now I have stopped them for a couple of weeks. I will try to join a running club the only problem is that I have long shifts at work 12h and have very little time :((
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, I am concerned about your health and the long term implications of what you are trying to do. You posted in the Food section about starting a paleo diet, losing a few pounds, and being weak. Your stats had you underweight before you had even changed your diet. I believe that you are pushing your body too hard and that your focus should be more on your health and less on increasing your speed or finding the right diet to up your athletic performance.
  • Kati9408
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    OP, I am concerned about your health and the long term implications of what you are trying to do. You posted in the Food section about starting a paleo diet, losing a few pounds, and being weak. Your stats had you underweight before you had even changed your diet. I believe that you are pushing your body too hard and that your focus should be more on your health and less on increasing your speed or finding the right diet to up your athletic performance.

Finding the right diets has always been hard for me, I need to figure that out. I get confused of all this diets.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

Finding the right diets has always been hard for me, I need to figure that out. I get confused of all this diets.

There is no 'right' diet. My advice is ignore the fads. I believe I mentioned this in another thread of yours but in case I didn't, check out Racing Weight and Diet Cults from Matt Fitzgerald. He also has many other books on running.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

There is no 'right' diet. My advice is ignore the fads. I believe I mentioned this in another thread of yours but in case I didn't, check out Racing Weight and Diet Cults from Matt Fitzgerald. He also has many other books on running.

Thank you for posting this, @dewd2, both for the OP's benefit and because I now have a couple of new books to check out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Don't follow a diet. Eat foods you enjoy. Increase calories, and if you want to get faster, you probably need to get stronger, so lift (especially following a full body routine).