Do you think losing 25lbs in 98 days is good or too slow?

If it seems like I'm seeking validation I absolutely am, lol. I know slow and steady wins the race, but I did think I'd have lost at least 30-40 lbs by now. I'm feeling good and happy about the 25 lbs because it's happening, it's working, using this website and counting calories created a new habit for me that I was actually able to stick to, unlike previous attempts at 'dieting' and so on. So I'm happy. Just wondering if I should tweak a few things to be at my maximum fat burning potential, or if 25 lbs in 98 days is pretty good.

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    That is pretty rapid weight loss. I suppose if you have a lot to lose, it is OK to do that for a little while, but 1 lb per week is generally considered safer. Rapid weight loss is a risk factor for gallstones and malnutrition.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Awesome! Congratulations!
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    How much do you have left to lose?
  • I think its a good rate. its taken me 2 years to lose that much weight(metabolic disorder here)
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    I have lost 30 pounds in 3 months so I don't think so but I have a lot to lose. How much weight are you looking to lose?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    That's between 1.5 and 2 pounds per week, which is an excellent rate of loss.

This.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    edited September 2016
    Is 1.79lbs a week a slow rate of loss that could be tweaked for extra speed?

Absolutely Yes.

Anyone currently over 360lbs and losing at a rate of 1.79lbs a week is losing less than 0.5% of their body weight a week. Most people consider loss rates of up to 1% to be acceptable.

By the same token even if you are currently over 360lbs, your current rate of loss corresponds to 93lbs a year... and I am having some trouble thinking of 93lbs a year as a "slow" loss.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Crikey!!!

That is an awesome rate of loss. I'd be very pleased with that anytime, sounds like you are doing great. Patience Grasshopper, you didn't put on your excess overnight, so taking it off will require more patience and persistence despite the desire for the extra baggage gone as of yesterday.

Good luck!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    A fantastic rate of loss.

Look, if we could all click our fingers and shout "Let me be 10lbs lighter NOW" and bam, it happened - we wouldn't be here. This is a process. Sometimes a long one. But we are all in it together and trust me when I say, you are doing great! :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    If I lost 25lbs in 98 days right now, I'd be turning cartwheels. I'm lucky to lose one or two a month. I wouldn't sweat it, OP, you're doing fine, assuming you have a lot to lose.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    I would be delighted with that rate of weight loss. Well done!
  • LiveStellar
    LiveStellar Posts: 9 Member
    This is just under 2 pounds per week so you are right on target with what is considered a good rate at which to lose weight. If you are still losing weight at that rate I would not change anything unless you are just bored with some of the foods you are eating or you have hit a plateau. Good job, hat is awesome!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Congratulations. That's about the same rate as I've experienced, 23.4 lb lost in the past 90 days. If you're comfortable, carry on.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    You're going to progress only as fast as your body can take it. Patience is critical - but there's a difference between being patient on the one hand, and passive on the other. You're on the right track. Keep on whatever it is you're doing. Wish I had that kind of progress.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Congrats on that loss! and keep up the good work! You're doing awesome! :smile:

In my 250 days on MFP, I've lost 15.5kg (roughly 34lbs). That's just a smidgen under 1lbs per week.

Could I have lost more? Probably, I still have 25kg (roughly 55lbs) to go. Am I happy with my loss? HELL YEAH! I still go out with the girls for a fun night out. Eat all of those yummy things that I like and I'm LOSING weight even if sometimes it's just 100gr in a week. It doesn't matter to me if it takes me another 3 months, year or two years to reach my goal weight. It took me nearly 20 years to get where I'm at now, I can be patient a little bit longer.
  • wokemel85
    wokemel85 Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you all so much, I feel more positive about this now.