In need of kid an boyfriend friendly recipes

Options
Trying to eat healthier in my house is like world war 2 lol. My kids an my boyfriend thinks eating healthy is awful. I work 2 jobs so I can manage breakfast an lunch just fine. I am in need of recipes for when we have supper together as a family. Something healthy but something the whole family will enjoy.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    How do you define eating healthy?

I'm grilling a steak tonight with some mashed sweet potato and sauteed veg...yum...and healthy.
  • gr1mjack
    gr1mjack Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    How about bacon wrapped chicken with some broccoli (or other veg for a side)? Just cut the chicken into 2 oz strips, season, and wrap with bacon. Bake it at 400 for 30-35 mins. Easy. every 2 pieces should be about 340 calories.

My 4 year old helped me make this the other night, he wrapped the bacon around the chicken.
  • shawnasandusky
    shawnasandusky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    High protein an veggies trying to cut out some carbs an starch an cutting as much sugar as possible....my boyfriend loves to grill
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    High protein an veggies trying to cut out some carbs an starch an cutting as much sugar as possible....my boyfriend loves to grill

So how about you let him grill...provide a side of veggies and cook some kind of starch/grain (potato, rice, etc) for him and your kid and you can skip it. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about starches and grains either, so if you want them, that's no biggie.

Part of the problem people have with "healthy" and my SO or whatever doesn't want it is that people have an incredibly narrow perspective on what constitutes quality nutrition and "healthy"...healthy and nutritious doesn't have to be bland and boring...you can eat grains and starches...you can use seasonings and marinades, etc...it doesn't have to be boiled chicken breast and broccoli or endless salads.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Sheet pan suppers are great! Super simple too. Domestic Geek did sheet pan fajitas. They were very good. You might leave the jalapenos off her recipe or add them at the table.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Tc4ncJgI
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Shawna, if you're trying to cut carbs and go high protein (and/or high fat), just google 'Paleo recipes'...you'll get thousands of ideas for 'healthy' meals. You won't know what to cook first!

And I agree that you should let BF do the grilling (is it gas or charcoal? Charcoal is more primal...!)...it always makes me feel more manly! Meat over fire, baby!!

My GF is staying predominantly vegetarian, so we base our shared meals around salad and veggies, then I add my protein as meat, and she uses eggs, fish, tofu, grains and beans in various combinations to round out her portion. It's really pretty easy.

Good luck!!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    We eat the same things... I just eat less. *shrug*
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat healthier in my house is like world war 2 lol. My kids an my boyfriend thinks eating healthy is awful. I work 2 jobs so I can manage breakfast an lunch just fine. I am in need of recipes for when we have supper together as a family. Something healthy but something the whole family will enjoy.

Ask them what meals they would find acceptable and then either:
    • Modify the whole meal to fit your interpretation of healthy
    • Replace some of the items on your plate to fit your interpretation of healthy.

Examples (note: I'm not claiming these meals to be "healthy" or "unhealthy" - that is a minefield that I can't be bothered to navigate).
    • Family wants lasagna, you want lower fat. Make the lasagna with lean minced beef or quorn mince, reduce the white sauce in favor of extra red sauce, use a lower fat cheese.
    • Family wants fried chicken and fries. Try a baked with breadcrumbs chicken recipe and for your meal substitute the fries for mashed potato (which you can batch prep and freeze in individual portions) or maybe salad.
    • Family wants pizza. Cook a large regular pizza for them and make an individual pizza with thinner base, less cheese, and more veggies than theirs.

Generally, I'm more all for the "I cooked it if you don't like it get of your lazy *kitten* and make a sandwich" attitude but that doesn't always work with a family. I'd also note that since your boyfriend is an adult, I would expect that a gentle word asking for his support in this matter should yield results... if not... well I'll leave that one to you to decide.

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I would suggest browsing the SkinnyTaste blog. There are lots of new ideas and lots of standards that are easy to make and lightened up (think nuggets, chicken Parmesan, chili, etc.).
    She also calculates nutritional values and categorizes recipes in a lot of ways - weight watchers, low carb, kid friendly, under 30 minutes, paleo, and more.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hmmm. I guess you can't do anything about the boyfriend, but are there efforts you can take to help your kid start thinking differently? Making sure to cover all the food groups, of course.

I second skinnytaste.com
  • kayrayy17
    kayrayy17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can never go wrong with lemon pepper chicken baked or just cooked on the stove. Even if you prefer lemon peppered tilapia with steamed broccoli or maybe corn.