No More Excuses! (But what were yours?)

Options
I'm so tired of all the excuses I've seemed to give myself when I'm not losing weight and begin to eat too much again out of frustration or whatever.

I want to know, what is your guy's biggest excuse? What excuse was the last excuse?

Mine, so far, is me being busy. I do go to college full time, internship under a vet, and work in the ER, but I should always make some time for a little bit of exercise but I don't. I also tend to get discourage easily if I start to gain weight, even if I was losing and then gained 3 pounds, I easily call it quits and I need to stop that and get more self confidence in myself. I keep having to switch up medications, drop old ones, do new ones, etc and blame the weight gain on that and not me watching everything I shove in my mouth. Time to stop throwing in the towel and time to pony up.

I started at 215 and my goal is 170 with current as 211.

Replies

• dice80
    dice80 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am queen of excuses lol. A few of mine are like you too busy, too tired or hurting. You and I are about the same weight and I only want to go down to 160. I lost around 125 pounds in 2015 but it's slowly creeping back. I would like to be support for you if you would like and maybe we can both get our rears in gear.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Options
    ArcticSero wrote: »
    I want to know, what is your guy's biggest excuse? What excuse was the last excuse?

That I was perimenopausal (which I was, and am) and therefore could not lose weight.

Turns out perimenopause is not an excuse ... 25 kg/55 lbs lost.

• ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    dice80 wrote: »
    I am queen of excuses lol. A few of mine are like you too busy, too tired or hurting. You and I are about the same weight and I only want to go down to 160. I lost around 125 pounds in 2015 but it's slowly creeping back. I would like to be support for you if you would like and maybe we can both get our rears in gear.

Sure! I'm not quite sure on how to add people as friends, but I have no problem with it. Let's both get in shape.
  • workfromhome84
    workfromhome84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mine are too tired, too sore that sort of thing. I lost 34kg in 2013 after having my son but gained it all back and more.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    '' I am not supposed to be slim...I cant be slim because of my genetics''
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I was the Queen of Excuses.. you name it I blamed it .. either on things like stress, too old, no time, to busy, to hard, too tired, my hormones, I can't do it, blah blah blah blah..

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i've been on mfp for years going up and down 15 pounds. I'm on day 56 of my last "effort" and this time it is different because I'm not doing any excuses. In fact, when i read through the forums, which I enjoy.. i hear nothing but whining self defeating excuses constantly. And I saw myself. What changed me was reading a post in the maintenance thread... where they listed the documented qualities of people who lose weight at keep it off..

1. they eat breakfast
    2. watch only 10 hours of tv. a week
    3. workout one hour a day
    4. made a life style change

so, what I did was started copying those behaviors.. i have not weighed myself so i don't get crazy and obsessed and sabotage my efforts because the scale doesn't tell me what i want to see.

.. i focus on my health ..moving.. being active...and nutrition and I caught a glimpse in the mirror last night and realized my clothes were hanging off of me. I'm simply behaving as if I'm at goal already..and it is getting me there. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I carry my weight well, it doesn't matter

I've had kids of course I'm a little heavier

I don't look my weight, it doesn't matter

I'm middle aged this is what happens, it doesn't matter

Asthma, I can't

Serious health investigations, I can't

Sick husband, kids, no time

I'm not the priority, nobody is looking at me..funny how feeling invisible becomes an excuse not to do anything like it doesn't matter

I like food

I like being horizontal

Diets don't work

No money, no time

Etc, ad nauseum

You see it on these boards I probably said it to myself at one point

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I had no excuse for diet. I was always slim and had good habits till i was bereved and stopped cooking and ate convenience food. My biggest issue is working 11.00 hours a day leaves me exhausted.

Im good with eating (meals are too small and snacks are too carby though- low on protein and fat). Its the exercise i need to focus my efforts on.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    "I'll worry about me when the kids grow up"
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Excuses by old me...
    I have 2 kids and I work so I have no time
    I have to go to the gym and have no time
    I'm tired

It's all about time management and taking me time now. I workout at 5am so then it's done and family time isn't affected. I built a home gym with garage sale and Craigslist finds.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    "I can't ever weigh below 200 pounds again. It isn't possible."

I weighed-in at 181 this morning.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Let me see ...

I'm middle aged and it's hard
    I can't exercise I don't have time
    I'm in menopause and it's hard
    This is all to be expected as I age
    I wasn't blessed with great genetics
    I wasn't blessed with a huge bank account so I can have fat just sucked out like everyone else
    I'll never look like I did when I was 30 so why try

^^ You know reading that actually makes me want to vomit. And that list is a pretty short version of my whiny self before I stopped the madness.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm tall and I carry my weight evenly/well. (SW 5'11 and 193, CW 160)
    I'll look too thin (come to find out my prime weight is 152)
    I hate exercise
    I'm tired
    I'm hungry
    I'm lazy
    I love food
    I just don't want to

We all have them. Most are the same as everyone elses. And until you cut the crap you can't move forward.