Prevent/treatment for blisters from lifting weights

Options
kelhea
kelhea Posts: 52 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've recently started doing deadlifts and as I've been increasing the weight I've been getting blisters. Is there any thing I can do to prevent them or do I just have to suck it up? And is there anyway to treat the ones I have now (heat/cold compressions?)

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Callouses are normal (I'm assuming you mean this not blisters). I use chalk which helps my grip and callouses.
  • Bojemoy
    Bojemoy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cobra Fit grips on Amazon

As for your current blisters/callouses, dont pick on em and they'll go away (or stay).
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    if your new and its really blisters there's not much you can do.other than treat your hands. after a while caluses will start and if you keep at it long enough you'll rip a couple of those off and that hurts. I've had a olympic bar for a long time and got pretty used to those knurl marks and recemtly I bought a new barbell and its ripped off the old and started creating new calluses.

you might want to try chalk it'll keep your hands dry and not allow your hands to slip around so much on the bar. I tend not to chalk up even though I know it would help as I am working on my grip strength and want to make all the gains I can before I rely on chalk to help.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OP how many dead lifts are you doing?!? I associate blisters with repetitive friction (usually with moisture present). since most programs recommend sets of 1 - 12 reps even with a high volume day I wouldn't expect you'd be getting blisters (although if you mean callouses, yep - that's going to happen).
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is just work through it - it'll get better. Wraps and gloves will hinder your progress eventually.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    OP how many dead lifts are you doing?!? I associate blisters with repetitive friction (usually with moisture present). since most programs recommend sets of 1 - 12 reps even with a high volume day I wouldn't expect you'd be getting blisters (although if you mean callouses, yep - that's going to happen).

This. I can't remember ever blistering from lifting. Calluses. Yup. Love them though.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    if your new and its really blisters there's not much you can do.other than treat your hands. after a while caluses will start and if you keep at it long enough you'll rip a couple of those off and that hurts. I've had a olympic bar for a long time and got pretty used to those knurl marks and recemtly I bought a new barbell and its ripped off the old and started creating new calluses.

you might want to try chalk it'll keep your hands dry and not allow your hands to slip around so much on the bar. I tend not to chalk up even though I know it would help as I am working on my grip strength and want to make all the gains I can before I rely on chalk to help.

I'm not aware that the use of chalk will slow down or prevent grip strength improvements. Straps, yep - avoid if possible if your goal is improved grip but chalk I've never heard of that one. Personally I only use chalk on dead lifts above my 80% 1 rep max because my gym only reluctantly tolerates chalk and I'm aware that if we dust the place up too often they are going to potentially ban it :(
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Blisters become calluses over time. Then keep your calluses trimmed a bit so they do not rip.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Embrace the blisters and the calluses. They're one of the many badges you get to wear as someone who lifts heavy objects.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    use chalk.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    don't pinch your palms under the bar.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    blisters from deadlifting?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    you can put lavender oil on blisters and they will go away in about a day
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use weightlifting gloves. <Edit> They're supposedly uncool and callouses are a badge of honor. Since I'm not planning on competing, I'd rather have nice hands.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »

I'm not aware that the use of chalk will slow down or prevent grip strength improvements. Straps, yep - avoid if possible if your goal is improved grip but chalk I've never heard of that one. Personally I only use chalk on dead lifts above my 80% 1 rep max because my gym only reluctantly tolerates chalk and I'm aware that if we dust the place up too often they are going to potentially ban it :(

Yeah - chalk will probably help with grip strength, as you still have to grip the bar yourself - it just keeps it from slipping out of your hands.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    proper grip and chalk.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If blisters, maybe use gloves until healed.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    misskris78 wrote: »
    I use weightlifting gloves. <Edit> They're supposedly uncool and callouses are a badge of honor. Since I'm not planning on competing, I'd rather have nice hands.

Exactly the way I feel!! I don't know where that saying "badge of honor" comes from referring to scars or callouses, but for me nice looking hand (as best I can at my age) are better than callouses.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The callouses I get from holding weights: deadlifting, pullups, whatever, are only at the base of my ring finger and middle finger sometimes. They aren't even big or even noticable. Its not like a couple tiny callouses is a big deal. My hands look fine .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Chalk...and properly gripping the bar.