Older Mom looking for a happy healthy life.

Options
Hi. I'm a Mom of 2. My children are 18 and 16, and I've had to deal with some serious health issues. I am an emotional eater. I've been working with MFP for 98 days now. I've lost 27.1lbs. I started this at 278. I am exercising more, eating what I want and trying to stay healthier with my preferred food choices. I have been working on figuring out how much to exercise to reach a goal of a 50lb loss by Thanksgiving. I started this because I don't feel good about myself. I've tried every "fad" diet and this seems to be the only one that is working for me and motivating me to be what I want to be.
My son just joined the Army and is currently in Boot Camp. I want him to be proud of me as much as I am proud of him.
My daughter shuns me out in public and at school functions. (I know typical teenager) I feel sometimes I am an embarrassment to her. I don't want to be anymore.
My Doctor showed me the app and suggested I try it. I used to just walk and "try" to eat right but to no avail. I didn't realize how many calories I was actually eating. I didn't realize how many calories I was or wasnt burning to lose the weight.
I have begun to understand that more lately. I have read 1lb of fat equals about 3500 calories. So for me to lose the 3 lbs a week needed to reach my short term goal by November I have to work off about 1500 calories a day. I have had weight issues my whole life.
98 days ago my cholesterol was borderline and my clothes were getting tighter and tighter. Now the summer clothes are much looser and the fall clothes are very loose. I will probably need to monitor what I eat and exercise for the rest of my life to maintain where I want to be when I finally reach that level. I can do this. I know I can. I used to say I'm happy with who I am and confident in my body the way it is. When I was over 280 I wasn't happy I was very self conscious and very sad that I had allowed this to happen.
My best friend and her Mom went to have gastric bypass surgery and lap band. They lost an incredible amount of weight in a very short period of time. But they gained it all back and then some. I never want that to happen to me. It took me 46 years to put this all on. I know it'll take a while to get it off and be where I want to be.
I've got a strong support in my boyfriend. He is doing this with me and has lost 12lbs himself. He doesn't exercise though.
Ok I've rambled enough. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Wow, so inspirational. You keep doing your thing, your an inspiration to many.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's amazing when you start looking at your caloric intake vs exercise. That's why I log, to see how it adds up quickly. Good luck.
  • llwolford
    llwolford Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. Set up your app and record your food and be honest. You can do this. Would love to be part of your support team. I have four children 23, 20, 19, and 14. So glad you have support at home. It will make your journey so much better. Find a class that you can take. At first I found it much easier to exercise outside of the home. It was more fun and you really can encourage one another. You can do this the old fashion way. Hard work, sweat, and healthy eating.
  • sranney2
    sranney2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh that is awesome! I don't have as much weight to lose as you, but I am in the same place. I don't feel good carrying this extra weight and I want it off.
    You have been so encouraging. I'm going to go check all of my food now
  • sranney2
    sranney2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how we can become friends here?
  • shawnele
    shawnele Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @Pennyjo1010 , good for you!! Whether she says it or not, your daughter is absolutely proud of you...it's just hard to say it at that age. You can do this!
  • shawnele
    shawnele Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    sranney2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how we can become friends here?

@sranney2 , you click on the person's name. When that screen pops up, you click on their name on that page - then you can friend request them.
  • Spears1354
    Spears1354 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    so inspiring! Yes You can do this! Its a life change for all of us. To keep it off we have to make a choice to make better choices. I too am learning a lot using this app in conjunction with walking. Mind over Matter!!! :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I *know* you can do this. You have the right attitude and you are inspiring, honest and very positive.
    We'll be here cheering you on along the way. Think how different your life will be a year from now. Best of luck :)
  • 51time
    51time Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You already accomplish the hardest job raising children! As mothers, we put ourselves last and now it is time for you. You can do this a little at a time! Thank your son for serving! A friend once told me as mother you became stupid when your children become teenagers and when they become young adults your become smart again. Just take one day at a time! Good luck on the new you!
  • Pennyjo1010
    Pennyjo1010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This week I made it under 250. I haven't seen that in a while. I am feeling so good about myself. Up to 100 crunches a day to work on my abs. I can do this I know it!!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    llwolford wrote: »
    You are doing great. Set up your app and record your food and be honest. You can do this. Would love to be part of your support team. I have four children 23, 20, 19, and 14. So glad you have support at home. It will make your journey so much better. Find a class that you can take. At first I found it much easier to exercise outside of the home. It was more fun and you really can encourage one another. You can do this the old fashion way. Hard work, sweat, and healthy eating.

I like this!

OP....it is a challenge....we all realize that things have got to change...at different episodes in our lives. You came here now. I have one child who just turned 18. In college, and working too.

I started feeling pretty bad physically...finally checked my blood pressure a month ago....holy moly was it high!

I said right then, this has got change. Don't want medication for it...heard if you stay on it long term, you cannot get off it...don't want to find out if it's true or not....medication is not the road for me.

So, I set out to lower my blood pressure... weight loss was secondary in focus these past 20+ days. I know to weigh less is better and beneficiary...long term, even 5 lbs loss. However, I focused on low sugar and low sodium....right now they are king pins of health. Walking too to strengthen my heart....if I lost weight too, cool... Eating fat is almost secondary. Excess sugar turns into fat...the body will burn fat if it does not have sugar/glucose to burn......sodium affects the vessels going to and from the heart...too much pressure on them makes them like stretched out rubber bands.

You have to find your true why. Dig deep down. Where do you see yourself in 1 year, or 5 or 10 or 20? Do you have enough money to keep in you bed with caregivers? And do you really want that? Excess weight is just a barometer of things that need to change, that are in your power to change. But if you want to keep eating poorly, you will get what you deserve, the body you deserve. And it's okay. Accept that fact and then you can live and eat how you want. We can be here to encourage, but we can't take that fork out of your mouth. It's all American --your choice.