Increased calories

Options
hannahmsb
hannahmsb Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys,

I got a food plan done and the calories are really quite high in it (1600). I normally try to stick to 1300.... I'm worried by eating this much I won't lose weight. Anyone any thoughts?

Edit- height 4'11, current weight 140lbs, goal to lose 25-30lbs plus increase strength, training approx 5 times a week, ocassionally 6. ( 3 weight training days, 2 cardio- mostly spin, but odd circuit class or HIIT.)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Who did the food plan? I'm assuming someone who knows way more than you have disclosed in your post here?

We know virtually nothing about you, so it's a guess.

Maybe?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hannahmsb wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I got a food plan done and the calories are really quite high in it (1600). I normally try to stick to 1300.... I'm worried by eating this much I won't lose weight. Anyone any thoughts?

If eating 1300 has worked, why are you getting a food plan made?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Appropriate calorie level depends on height weight, goal weight, activity level, speed of weight loss required, etc. Short sedentary women may have to eat 1200 cals, tall heavy active women can eat 2000 calories and lose weight.

We would need your stats to have any idea.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    2000 calories per day is the oft-cited maintenance level for the average woman, which means that 1600 calories is a 20% deficit. 20% is the max deficit I would suggest using. Try it and see how it works.
  • hannahmsb
    hannahmsb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've updated with stats...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd still try it and see how it works.

If your stats are correct, including activity level, you are not going to gain on 1600 correctly counted calories. The worst that could happen would be to see no loss after 4 weeks, at which point I'd suggest dropping calories by 100.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This site gives you 2,190 calories to maintain (moderate exercise).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

So to lose 1 pound a week......1,690

So nope, not high really.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"3 and I stopped loosing on 1300 calories while working out 5 days a week. My activity level had increased significantly. I looked into my TDEE, and figured out I wasn't eating enough, so I upped it to 1600 and my stall stopped. So, I say give it a try. If you don't see a difference in the way things are fitting and your measurements, then switch it up again by dropping 100 calories, and go from there.

Good luck!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 - Sedentary full time job but worked out 4 times a week (Strength mainly - a little cardio). I lost 0.5lb per week on 1500 a day. I personally found 1200 too low for me. I can only advise you to do trial and error - you'll know for sure by putting your plan in to action. See how you get on with 1600 - increase or decrease as necessary :)