Just got measured for wedding dress (on period)!

Options
Hi there!
I usually try not to get too upset about my body these days (though I still do quite a bit).
It's just I have been trying on wedding dresses and I finally found one! I got measured and I'm on my period and massively bloated, I just felt so incredibly fat :(.
She said my chest measurement was a uk 16 (I'm only a 34DD!). My waist was 2-3 inches bigger than usual as well. Thing is I tried on the 12 but had to get the 14. It's really bummed me out. I feel like I'm going backwards. Everyone is really excited about the dress and I'm just not wanting to talk about it, I'd rather go cry.

Can sizes be fixed in alterations? I have about 11 months to final fitting and I WILL loose weight, I'm just so depressed right now

Replies

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Short answer - Whatever your size on the day, you WILL look beautiful if you stand up straight and smile but YES, they can alter the dress nearer the date... Good luck to you.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt take much notice of the actually size of the dress, just how look and feel.

when i was shopping for my dress i was shocked how the sizing for the dresses was.

the sizes are smaller than shop sizes so a uk16 weddinf dress in more like a uk14 in normal clothes and the design, make etc all make a difference in the dress size too
    i tried a dress n that was a size 18 (so more like a shop 16) and it fit like a glove. but it was not "the dress" i just didnt click with it.
    the dress i fell in love with was a different make and style and i had to have a size 20, so more an 18

anyway, yes the dress will be able to be altered for any weight loss you have beford the day.
    my sil had hers altered that much it hardly looked like the dress she picked lol

you will look amazing no matter x
  • Danika
    Danika Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wedding dresses notoriously run very small! Also, it's better to have a larger size because it's much easier for them to take it in than to let it out. I know it's hard when you are feeling emotional about the number and size (been there!), but just try to focus on the fact that it will fit you perfectly on the day and they will be able to alter it for your slimmer body!
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys. Your replies mean a lot to me. It's hard to talk to my friends about this as they've never been through this kind of thing (all super skinny).
    I just got terrified I wouldn't be at the point I wanted to on the day and wouldn't be able to look at the pictures after. Gotta work hard!

Thanks again
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm getting married in July and don't know whether to start looking for a dress now or later. I want to lose another 2 stone by then ideally. I think I'll be a 14/16 if I try on a dress now bit would ideally like to be a 10/12. Don't want to spend a load on alterations though! Nightmare!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    sazzle1983 wrote: »
    Hey! I'm getting married in July and don't know whether to start looking for a dress now or later.

I feel you, I also have a July wedding...I think I am gonna wait until January to begin my quest.
  • jesssiebee1983
    jesssiebee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    April wedding here. . .I'm not looking until February! (just having a casual garden picnic though and plan to get the res from Modcloth)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    sazzle1983 wrote: »
    Hey! I'm getting married in July and don't know whether to start looking for a dress now or later. I want to lose another 2 stone by then ideally. I think I'll be a 14/16 if I try on a dress now bit would ideally like to be a 10/12. Don't want to spend a load on alterations though! Nightmare!

Keep in mind that depending on where you buy the dress, it can take up to 9 months to make/deliver. If you have already chosen a store or dress, ask the shop how far in advance to order.

When I got married in 2014, I bought my dress from Alfred Angelo. They told me a dress can typically be let out 2 sizes and taken in up to 4 sizes, but buying closer to your actual size is better since taking in or letting out a lot can affect the appearance of the dress and be more costly for the alterations.

Also, wedding dresses are notorious for running smaller than standard clothes. So ignore the actual number. You will look gorgeous no matter your size!
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If the alterations are done properly the dress will fit perfectly! So don't worry what size you have to order. You have time! If I were you I would definitely do a little recon and pick a dress STYLE first (halter, strapless, princess, mermaid etc). That way you can narrow it down. When I got married 14 yrs ago - i had the idea I wanted halter style but after trying on different styles I chose a strapless with a corset back. Maybe you should check out a dress w/a corset style back? My dress was a Maggie Sotero brand; style name was "Miami" . It was gorgeous LOL! Congrats and good luck!