Quinoa!

Options
Clawsal
Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
Hi, so I tried cooking quinoa for the first time today and it was simple and delicious. It also has fiber and protein, of which I never seem to eat enough.

I just let it simmer for 15 minutes in water with salt and served with a salad and sauteed shrimp.

So do you have any recipes YOU have tried and would like to share?

Replies

• aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love curried quinoa with chickpeas. I top it with a fried egg. So good. I don't really have a recipe, but when I make the quinoa I use chicken or veggie broth and some curry powder. Sautée some veggies like onions, carrots and peas with some curry powder and garlic. Toss in your chickpeas to heat and fold in your quinoa. Top with an egg!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I just bought some quinoa because I saw these recipes from the Domestic Geek. They look so good!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TnmjmHUUxsY
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=w4-uXFJwc1A
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Your cat looks like my cat.

I sub all recipes that call for/pair with rice with quinoa, or millet. Both are good and healthier.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    my favorite is with a fried egg and cheese...I usually cook it in vegetable broth to give it a bit more flavor
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    pilaf, also a variety of cold salads can be made with quinoa...but we usually just cook it like rice in chicken stock and serve it as a side. It's kind of funny because my wife and I took to quinoa after she took a trip to Peru many years ago...we never really thought about it or ever thought there would be some kind of quinoa craze...hopefully it dies down so we can start getting it cheap again.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »
    I love curried quinoa with chickpeas. I top it with a fried egg. So good. I don't really have a recipe, but when I make the quinoa I use chicken or veggie broth and some curry powder. Sautée some veggies like onions, carrots and peas with some curry powder and garlic. Toss in your chickpeas to heat and fold in your quinoa. Top with an egg!

This sounds delicious. I make a -very basic- Coconut Curry Quinoa. I freeze coconut milk in ice cube trays so I toss a few in the water with my quinoa (it usually needs just a sprinkle of sugar as well) then add in curry powder to taste.
  • aliem
    Options
    Also, if you like quinoa, you might also like bulgur wheat. It has slightly less protein than quinoa, but more fiber and fewer calories. There is a Mediterranean place that makes the best bulgur wheat pilaf. I can get it at the bulk section of my local Sprouts (a cheaper version of Whole Foods in mostly the Western US). I would imagine you could find it at other grocery stores (worst case I am sure Whole Foods would probably have it). I just have not looked, because Sprouts tends to be the cheapest place for things like this in my area.
  • aliem
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

This sounds delicious. I make a -very basic- Coconut Curry Quinoa. I freeze coconut milk in ice cube trays so I toss a few in the water with my quinoa (it usually needs just a sprinkle of sugar as well) then add in curry powder to taste.

Thanks! That also sounds good! Since I am not a huge rice fan, I always have quinoa on hand so I might have to try this.
  • Clawsal
    Options

Thanks, I am definitely going to try this... probably tonight :)
  • Clawsal
    Options
    Also, if you like quinoa, you might also like bulgur wheat. It has slightly less protein than quinoa, but more fiber and fewer calories. There is a Mediterranean place that makes the best bulgur wheat pilaf. I can get it at the bulk section of my local Sprouts (a cheaper version of Whole Foods in mostly the Western US). I would imagine you could find it at other grocery stores (worst case I am sure Whole Foods would probably have it). I just have not looked, because Sprouts tends to be the cheapest place for things like this in my area.

Again thank you for the idea. I live in Switzerland so I have never been to a Whole Foods or Sprouts ;). But I just checked and my local grocery store sells it.
  • Clawsal
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas! I will try to cook it with chicken broth for more flavor.
    Also curried, with black beans / chickpeas / egg. I will keep the coconut milk idea for when I have a higher calorie allowance.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I do very frequently a quinoa mexican bake: take cooked quinoa and mix in sweet corn kernels, red kidney beans and finely chopped onions. Put in a pyrex, top with mexican salsa and grated mexican cheese and bake in oven until the cheese has melted.

Another one I like is a sweet version, perfect for breakfast:
    Cinammon Quinoa Breakfst Bowl
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Seeds of Change make these microwavable quinoa/brown rice/red rice pouches that easily serve 2-3 people. They're delicious and only take 90 seconds in the microwave. They're also organic. I highly suggest trying them when you're trying to make a quick meal.
  • Connieluvsfitness
    Options
    I love the whole foods brown rice and quinoa California roll (sushi) . :)
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I recently had a baked stuffed pepper with quinoa recently at a vegetarian restaurant that I mean to try and reclicate at home. The quinoa filling included sauteed veggies like mushrooms and onions.

I also like this recipe from Eating Well magazine for quinoa salad with dried apricots.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made quinoa in their rice cooker?
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    I love the stuff. I cook it in broth. One of my favorite summer salads was a Thai quinoa salad and it was amazing. I also use it as a side dish. I stuffed peppers with it too.