Advice please - constant leg pain

Hi everyone,

I have recently started jogging/running on a treadmill but despite slowing down, taking smaller strides etc, I still suffer from aches and pains in my legs afterwards. Usually these occur near my ankles and just below knees. I really don't want to give up running before I've started!

What am I doing wrong? Could I be wearing incorrect trainers as I keep reading about this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Go to a sports doctor. It could be something as innocuous as shin splints and something as bad as a fracture/strain.

It could be from shoes, form, starting too fast, poor flexibility, overuse, and more. I don't think it's right for us to speculate, it's better to just go get checked out.

For now atleast:
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation
    +NSAID

P.S. a quick tip. If you sit down in a chair and perform this movement and feel pain, it's likely inflammation/shin splints:
    tumblr_lp0bpiZOax1qzhe6co1_500.gif

• jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    thank you rainbowbow. this movement causes no pain....it tends to be when I stand and is slightly below the knee.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    This is some random person off the internet. Slightly below the knee might be a tight IT Band. Foam rolling is best for that. However it would be best to go to a physiotherapist, or a chiropractor that specializes in Active Release. I went in for knee issues and turns out my lower back is incredibly tight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    See a physio
  • mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    Disclaimer. I am not a medical professional.

This is super common for people starting out. Your muscles are not used to the new range of motion being introduced.

Take it slow. Start with 2 days in 7 jogging / walking. It is going to take weeks for your body to adapt.

If you get pain at the base of your knee it is usually that you have biggish quads (from moving around your mass) and under developed supporting muscles and ligaments (from being sedentary). The patella (ligament in knee) get really sore for a lot of people.

Mild discomfort = getting stronger
    Pain = stop, reduce intensity for several days. To start the intensity may be just a minute or two and then rest.

It will pass.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    thanks everyone.

its really frustrating as my body doesn't feel tired and wants to keep on running but my legs have other ideas!
  • mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    I know how that feels! It definitely takes time.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Try absorbing the impact with your calves more by landing more so on your toes. It will have your calves really sore, but takes stress off your joints. If you let your calves repair, they'll build back stronger. The same goes with the rest of your leg. It may take a little time to build up to where you want to be. You can try other exercises or exercise other body parts while you wait for certain ones to rebuild. That way you wont fall off the wagon.