Someone prepearing for a race ?

Options

Replies

• dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Half Marathon this Saturday in Big Bear, 5k in Riverside in November, Half Marathon in Pasadena in January, 10k in Redlands in the beginning of March then the LA Marathon later in the month. So the answer is yes. I am preparing for a race.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Kati9408 wrote: »
    Awesome, how do you prepare ? I am preparing for Sofia marathon, last year was my first marathon 3:54 but I hope this year it will be better.

Sofia very cool!! I want to run the Prague Marathon - next year
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Kati9408 wrote: »
    A Marathon on Sunday. Then a half in December.

This year I've done a half in March, had to back off from a marathon following injury. Two 10Ks and a Half over one weekend in May, a Marathon in June, Half in mid September and then an Ultra a week later at the end of September.

Next season I've got 4 marathons and two ultras already booked, with another marathon to book. I'll probably add a couple of 10Ks and possibly a couple of half marathons to the season as well.

I want to go to ultra but first I need to increase my mileage.

Worth doing, although I agree that mileage is key. Lots of slow, easy miles.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    joeneely71 wrote: »
    5K on Thanksgiving. This will be the first time I have attempted to run that distance in 35 years. I am working my way up to it very slowly with a training app. I also intend to be another 10# lighter by the time of the run, which will help. For me it's not a race, and perhaps more of a shuffle than a run. My goal is to keep moving the entire time in a jogging - as opposed to walking - mode.
    Rinde99 wrote: »
    I'm training to run my 1st 5k in 25 years in mid-January. I used to be a decent runner with a time of 20 and change for the distance. Now at 60 I'm starting from scratch with the C25k app. Hoping to be able to finish the race running!

There is a 5K Walkers and Runners group. Come on over and share.

I just finished my first Half Marathon. Beat my goal time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    joeneely71 wrote: »
    5K on Thanksgiving. This will be the first time I have attempted to run that distance in 35 years. I am working my way up to it very slowly with a training app. I also intend to be another 10# lighter by the time of the run, which will help. For me it's not a race, and perhaps more of a shuffle than a run. My goal is to keep moving the entire time in a jogging - as opposed to walking - mode.

That's great...my wife and I did our first 5K on Thanksgiving years ago...it stuck and is a much loved tradition of ours...even though I really don't like running...but I'll do that one...lots of sentimental value to our annual turkey trot.

That run was a new beginning for us...we've come a long way in four years.
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    @pondee629 Thanks so much for the group info. Just joined and posted under goals.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Half Marathon on Saturday, Probably a 5K of some sort with the family on Turkey Day, another Half Marathon in December, and a Full Marathon in February. Like most others, there's always some race I'm preparing for. What I do after the marathon, kind of depends on how the marathon goes. 26.2 still seems very daunting to me. LOL!
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In my city we have 2 organized free 5k every week and I like them very much :) And they make cool photos :)
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Half marathon tomorrow
    5k the Saturday after the half
    10k near the end of October
    Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving
    And a Christams-y type race called the "Gingerbread Pursuit" 4-mile race in December
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Running my first 5k on Thanksgiving, 11/24!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    5k tomorrow
    10k on the 10th
    5k on the 16th
    5k on the 30th

plus a couple of Turkey Trots in November.
  • Kati9408
    Options
    NCchar130 wrote: »
    Running my first 5k on Thanksgiving, 11/24!

You will do great ! It is very fun !
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Training for my first marathon in November. Rock and Roll in Las Vegas!

I'm actually getting really REALLY nervous. I may ask to change it to the half because of how nervous I am :neutral:
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Always.
  • melodysf10
    melodysf10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My next 5 k is in December. It's a tacky sweater 5k, and I am excited about that part of it also. This will be my 5th one. My goal is just to run the whole time. I ran the entire last one, but this one is a cross country with lots of hills. I learned the hard way that cross country running and road running are NOT the same.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to not die at the OCR World Championships in Canada next weekend. Qualified end of last year and ended up doing rehab all year instead of racing. So it should be an interesting time. I'm fully rehabbed but wasn't able to build up the endurance and strength I need. Should be a blast though.
  • Kati9408
    Options
    I finished Sofia marathon with 3:40. Next year-better !
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I'm always preparing for a race. My running schedule is built around the "next" one even if that's 6 months away.

I have quite a few races that I'd like to run this Autumn but am actually registered for a 5K cross country run through a pumpkin farm/corn maze on Oct 9th, a 10K through an Air Force boneyard on Oct 30th, the RNR Savannah half marathon in November (which I can't actually run because now I won't be in Savannah then!) and the RNR Arizona half marathon in January. We'll see what else I register for...

My plans just got derailed. :cry: Diagnosed with melanoma and the spot is on my left heel. I've been running (it hurts less to run in shoes than to walk in them!) since my biopsy at the beginning of the month but I have to have a good deal more skin around the area removed which will require stitches and will take weeks and weeks to heal enough to be able to wear a running shoe without pain.

I still have my 10K run this Saturday but then I'll be out of commission. We'll see if I can manage the half marathon in January or if I'll have to switch to the 10K. I could probably walk/run the half marathon but I think I'd rather do the distance I can run. After that I'll definitely have to find a few more races to make up for lost time!!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have an 12 hour ultra this Saturday. Looking to do 60 miles. My Altra Olympus 2.0 came (via UPS) today. Very nice, comfy trail shoe. :) I love my Altra shoes I have 15 - 16 pairs. Looking forward to trying the Olympus 2.0 out during the ultra. I also stocked up on a lot of Tailwind (not just for the race, but to also have on hand (10 * 50 serving bags plus 2 * 12 stick packs). Hard to pass up when you got 20% off. Also bought a Suunto Ambit3 Peak watch (came last Friday) to use for my longer ultra races. Really like it over my Polar M400.
  • hubbardcasey28
    hubbardcasey28 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I plan on running the Big Beach Half Marathon in Gulf Shores in January...so I've been running as many local races as I can to prep! I haven't done a half yet, so I'm pretty excited!