Sleep Advice..

Options
So I know the recommended hours of sleep for adults is 7-9, on week days I usually get about 6-6.5. I keep wanting to go to bed earlier but when it comes time to actually going to bed I just can't fall asleep. I know you should create a relaxing environment an hour before you go to bed, which I used to read before I go to bed and it really helped so I'm going to try to start that again. I'm also going to try to start slowly going to bed earlier to get on a routine and try to stick with it...

but what I don't get is when I NEED to go to bed on the week days because I work at 6:30 am, it's hard to fall asleep...but on the weekends I can crash at 11. Saturday I went to sleep at 11 and slept for 12 hours...so obviously I'm sleeping TOO MUCH on the weekends ( which is probably normal for people who work throughout the week) and I feel that I'm just using that time to catch up on my sleep, but I know that too much sleep can be just as harmful as too little sleep. It just bums me out that I can't sleep on the week days when I need to, but on the weekends when I want to stay up and enjoy my time off I crash...I know it's because during the week I'm always so busy and don't really "relax" so on the weekends when I do get to...I relax tooo much and just doze off :p

Does anyone have this problem? Should I set an alarm on the weekends so I'm not sleeping too much?
and for people who have had sleep problems, what is your routine now that works for you?

I know this seems like a pety problem that hopefully is easily fixed, but it's been bothering me...so any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• mornin
    mornin Posts: 53
    Options
    I have the same problem. I get uo at 515 every morning, so I know I can but on days off, I can sleep 12 hours. I hate it! my days are wasted. I just can sleep at night when I work. i am up till 100 or 2 watchiing TV.
    I have decided its a habit. Get rid of TV, Make a relaxing enviroment before bedtime, Like u said. Have some sleepy time tea ( my sister says it works) and go to bed lights out.
    I do believe it you do this every night it will become a habit and you will be able to fall asleep.

My new Temperpedic bed helped me alot!! I should be thier spokes person. I have never slept better! But I do have to break a few habits that I think keep me up.
    Good luck
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    I'm using an app on my Android phone called SleepBot, it's helping me track my sleep debt and sleeping patterns.

However, my problem is kind of the opposite, I have a really hard time waking up in the mornings and I hit my snooze button for about an hour (or more on non-work days!)

But, in an effort to combat both the staying up later than intended, and waking up on time, I've set an alarm to go off every day - whether I'm working or not - at the same time. On work days, when I need to wake up a little earlier to ensure I get time to workout and shower, I set a second alarm to go off a couple hours earlier (while keeping the later alarm just in case.)
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I get uo at 515 every morning, so I know I can but on days off, I can sleep 12 hours. I hate it! my days are wasted. I just can sleep at night when I work. i am up till 100 or 2 watchiing TV.
    I have decided its a habit. Get rid of TV, Make a relaxing enviroment before bedtime, Like u said. Have some sleepy time tea ( my sister says it works) and go to bed lights out.
    I do believe it you do this every night it will become a habit and you will be able to fall asleep.

My new Temperpedic bed helped me alot!! I should be thier spokes person. I have never slept better! But I do have to break a few habits that I think keep me up.
    Good luck

Luckily I don't really watch TV before bed because I know I'll just lay there and watch it...but I do tend to play on my phone while I'm in bed so that could be considered the same thing! I just need to turn it off or ignore it after a certain time. I'm glad your bed helped you!! I have a pretty comfy pillow top so being comfortable isn't the problem for me...just all the other aspects.
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm using an app on my Android phone called SleepBot, it's helping me track my sleep debt and sleeping patterns.

However, my problem is kind of the opposite, I have a really hard time waking up in the mornings and I hit my snooze button for about an hour (or more on non-work days!)

But, in an effort to combat both the staying up later than intended, and waking up on time, I've set an alarm to go off every day - whether I'm working or not - at the same time. On work days, when I need to wake up a little earlier to ensure I get time to workout and shower, I set a second alarm to go off a couple hours earlier (while keeping the later alarm just in case.)

I think I am going to start setting an alarm to get up on the weekends...not too sure about setting it for 5:15 like on my week days though, but I think I'm just going to allow myself 9 hours of sleep on the weekends. I have the snoooozey fingers too! I seriously don't feel complete unless I hit snooze at least twice, so I keep having to set my alarm earlier and earlier just to fulfill that.