Recipe ideas for cooking with friends

Options
Philboehn
Philboehn Posts: 16 Member
Hello everyone :smile:

On Thursday I'm having some friends over for dinner. Since none of them are on a diet, I don't want to make them feel like they're eating 'diet food'. What are your best low calorie and low carb recipes? Ideally it would be 500 calories per portion, but 600 is okay too. I could also work with having some sides, like rice, that I can opt out of having.

Thank you very much :smile:

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    How about chili? Most people like it, and you can make it a little lighter with extra beans and veggies while using leaner cuts of meat. Set up a toppings bar (maybe avocado, tortilla chips, cheese, green onions) and include some lower-calorie things you like. Green salad on the side, and maybe some bread or cornbread you can opt out of. You can get a decent serving of chili and salad for 500-600 calories, including some fun toppings and dressing.

My family often does a "soup and salad bar" party around the holidays - everyone loves it since they get a break from all the heavy food that's everywhere. We usually do chili or potato soup + wedding or vegetable soup + and mixed salad greens with choose-your-own raw veggies, nuts and seeds, cheese & dressings. Chili and a salad is an easier weeknight version. :)
  • praveee
    praveee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oven baked Indian style mushroom pakodi as a good starter - mix sliced button mushrooms with little salt, chili garlic sauce, ginger garlic paste and little oil. Add chick pea flour ( besan) just enough to lightly coat them and mix well, bake till crispy done.
  • praveee
    praveee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You could also try fish fingers indian style ( just skip the deep frying n grill them). Check the recipe for vahchef fish fingers on YouTube.For rice dish you can check his tomato rice, vegetable pulao recipes on YouTube. Simple to make
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would do a pork tenderloin. It's versatile to different flavors and lean. Side items that would be a great choice is stuffed baked potatoes (1/2 potato as a serving - bake, scoop out, mix with light sour cream and 2% cheddar, salt, pepper; return to potato skin and bake until bubbly) and a salad. Other great choices would be brown rice, green beans, baked sweet potato, roasted veggies (broccoli, brussel sprouts, zucchini, small potatoes, etc).

Enjoy your dinner! :)