Calories lost on elliptical VS. myfitness pals calorie counter ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I go buy what the machine says but I don't eat back my calories. I make sure that I get between 1000 and 1200 calories a day but i don't eat back what i burn off. my weight loss is slow (3 lbs a week) but I'm relearning how to eat etc.. the machine at the gym takes into account my current weight.. I also do an hour 3 times a week on it.. i burn an average of 600 calories every time I go. it's working for me right now..

:s

That just hurts my soul.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Eat to fuel your body, exercise to improve your fitness. You want to lose weight, set a calorie deficit and hit that with your net regardless of exercise. If you exercise eat more to fuel that exercise.

The idea is to become healthy, not to try to force yourself into habits that you cannot maintain for the remainder of your life that just wreck you.

Not talking to the OP on this really, just in general to some of the other posts on here.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the calories burned in exercise. I want to lose weight so exercise is part of the diet and exercise I'm doing to lose weight. I have found I can't out-exercise overeating.

If using MFP as designed then exercise isn't accounted for until actually done, you are doing it wrong and usually long term (sometimes short term) you'll have issues with this method.

If using some other method that includes exercise in daily burn and eating level - then fine method.
    But you have to exercise to level you planned on.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the calories burned in exercise. I want to lose weight so exercise is part of the diet and exercise I'm doing to lose weight. I have found I can't out-exercise overeating.
    MFP already has the deficit built into your calorie goal so you are meant to eat back some or even all of your exercise calories and still lose weight.
    If you ate 1200 calories and then burned off 500 and didn't eat them back, you'd only be eating 700! Not a healthy thing!
  • squarewheels66
    squarewheels66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Eat to fuel your body, exercise to improve your fitness. You want to lose weight, set a calorie deficit and hit that with your net regardless of exercise. If you exercise eat more to fuel that exercise.

Couldn't agree more. If you don't fuel your muscles you'll burn out or exercise less effectively. I eat back my exercise cals as carbs and would struggle to reach fitness goals if I didn't.

200 cal for half an hour on a elliptical sounds about right to me

Try knocking out 400 cal in half an hour on a rowing ergometer (concept 2) if you want to know what 800cal/hour would feel like. I suspect you'll find it more challenging than the elliptical

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I go buy what the machine says but I don't eat back my calories. I make sure that I get between 1000 and 1200 calories a day but i don't eat back what i burn off. my weight loss is slow (3 lbs a week) but I'm relearning how to eat etc.. the machine at the gym takes into account my current weight.. I also do an hour 3 times a week on it.. i burn an average of 600 calories every time I go. it's working for me right now..

So much no.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    pinkste78 wrote: »
    Ok, so I workout on the elliptical at least 30 mins a day. My elliptical says I loose like around 200 calories each time I work out on it :/ . I think it's wrong cuz when I get off of that thing I'm like pouring sweat. So I've been going by the myfitness pal's calorie counter which is 424 calories per 30 mins. I know neither are going to be a 100 percent accurate, but which one would be more accurate. I need to know cuz it adds more calories I can consume, I don't want to overeat . thanks !

What are your stats? I'm 5'4 and around 135lbs give or take, and I use an online calculator based on my average heart rate that gives me around 200 calories for 30 mins.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

off topic,how is 3 lbs a week slow? it should be no more than 2lbs a week and thats if you are 100+ lbs overweight.you are only netting 5-600 calories a day,not good at all

LOL sweet jesus, if 3 pounds per week is slow then my losing 2 pounds a month must be molasses rolling up hill with a flashing strobe light slow... haha.. omg i wish i could lose the 2 pounds per week like i used too.. LOL

I was going to write the same thing! I'm lucky if i lose 1lb a month, let alone 3lbs a week!!

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

off topic,how is 3 lbs a week slow? it should be no more than 2lbs a week and thats if you are 100+ lbs overweight.you are only netting 5-600 calories a day,not good at all

LOL sweet jesus, if 3 pounds per week is slow then my losing 2 pounds a month must be molasses rolling up hill with a flashing strobe light slow... haha.. omg i wish i could lose the 2 pounds per week like i used too.. LOL

Ive never lost 2 lbs a week, it took me 3-4 months just to lose 17lbs and that was before I came to mfp and starting counting calories. now that I found out I have a metabolic issue im lucky to lose a half pound in 3-6 months.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Unrelated: how are you not bored of 30 mins a day on the elliptical.. :neutral: