Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    law102189 wrote: »
    J_Ley wrote: »
    I went to my first spin class today. It was a great workout, and I'd like to do it again, but I was so uncomfortable in the seat, and am still hurting! Do padded shorts or leggings help with this? My instructor said to give it 3 times, and I'd adjust to it, but I'd like to try something that might help before going through that again!

Also, is it normal to go slowly on hills, especially if your resistance is high? I tried keeping up my RPM on hills, and found that I could stay standing for longer if I slowed down quite a bit. Are you supposed to slow down, or is this something that comes easier with practice?

Keep going, you will adjust and get addicted! I try to ride "heavy" with high resistance even though it does slow me down a bit. I believe I burn more calories. In some classes; however, I am trying to resist the urge to add more weight because the workout is supposed to be all about RPMs.

Good luck!

Just watch your knees when you do that. Some instructors want people to do gradually increase the resistance until they're really pushing hard to turn the pedals, but my knees just will not let me do that. I need to keep a certain degree of "spin" going or I risk ligament tears and quadriceps tendinitis, both of which I've experienced in real cycling from climbing too-steep hills without the right gearing or prior strength.
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warning. That's the last thing I need!
  • Coachjr29
    Coachjr29 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like spinning too! L
  • Acrawford01
    Acrawford01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have recommendations on shoes? I need a different pair and thought someone may have a pair they love!
    Thanks
  • Melburrow
    Melburrow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The shoes are really about whatever fit you best. I wear Pearl Izumis to class and love them - if you go into your local REI or bike shop and tell them you need shoes for spin class they will get you set up with the correct clip style and you can choose any shoe you want. I think mine may even be a men's version because they fit me best :)
  • Acrawford01
    Options
    Thanks! I have been having issues with my ankle hurting and my toes going numb often so I'm hoping a better pair of shoes will help out.
  • law102189
    Options
    I recently got Liv Fera cycling shoes that I bought at a local bike shop. They were $88 and $17 for cleats. I love Spin with them. My feet don't go numb or ache and I definitely use my entire leg. Calories burned also went up since I started wearing them. I can't figure out how to post a picture of them here.
  • Acrawford01
    Options
    So you feel you use more of your leg using these shoes? It's amazing how an appropriate shoe can make such a substantial differance. I am going to look them up for sure! I feel most of the burn in my quads and would love to feel the burn in my whole leg.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    So you feel you use more of your leg using these shoes? It's amazing how an appropriate shoe can make such a substantial differance. I am going to look them up for sure! I feel most of the burn in my quads and would love to feel the burn in my whole leg.

Just popping in here as someone who also loves Spinning. Yes, shoes with the clips can make a difference in my opinion.
  • chloeap93
    chloeap93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The way our classes are around here is a dance style. You go by the beat of the music and your instructor tells you the resistance you should be at during each song and each section of the song.
    I have lost some and have noticed my body changing... more muscle tone, leaner/longer muscles... of course endurance is much greater than when I started.

I have just started going to a similar class - Vibe Cycle it's called.
    I have been 3 times now (once a week, alongside other exercise and classes) and really enjoying it! Definitely feel myself getting stronger. In the first class I had to sit sometimes when they were standing but last night I managed to keep up for most of it and had more resistance on :D the instructor is great too, going to try and go a 2nd time a week.
    I too have always hated boring cardio (I'm a very outdoor, extreme sports type person) so did those kind of sports and always chose weight type classes.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I love spinning, and I love mashing, but I can only do it outside.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    J_Ley wrote: »

Also, is it normal to go slowly on hills, especially if your resistance is high? I tried keeping up my RPM on hills, and found that I could stay standing for longer if I slowed down quite a bit. Are you supposed to slow down, or is this something that comes easier with practice?

Yes, in the beginning it is natural to slow down. I recently just started and the first few classes, I could not keep up. I'm still not as fast as the others, but it has gotten easier which is motivating for me to keep going.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've been a certified Spinning instructor for almost 4 years now. IMO it's one of the best group fitness classes out there.
  • law102189
    Options
    I think it's the fact that when you are clipped onto the pedal, you are working both legs with every pedal stroke, pushing down with one and pulling up with the other. I feel it in my calves, quads, glutes and hamstrings. One good thing about cycle shoes for Spin, they should last for a long time.