Almost maintenance relaxed eating?

Options
I've lost 111lbs, from 250 to 139. I am within 10-15 of my goal. It's thrilling, to say the least. I haven't been this healthy since I was 10 years old. I find myself lashing the urgency to lose the final ten pounds. I still log every day, and i don't eat crazy, and my activity level isn't decreasing by any measure.

But I am happy enough here to not feel the crushing urgency and obsession of losing. I no longer with myself every morning, but only every other day or so, and I don't feel so strictly tied to eating exactly what I've logged for the day.

Has anyone else felt this they've neared maintenance/goal?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Congratulations your attitude is exactly what is needed when you move to maintenance.. Nicely done and congrats on the weight loss...awesome. :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've felt exactly like this and to be honest? This is totally normal :)
    You are transitioning to maintenance and have developed a new relationship with food - the 'hard work' is coming to an end and you can now start to live like a normal human being! Congrats! :D
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Beware! Though you should eat progressively more as you get closer to maintenance I'm worried that you could be striding straight into the maintenance pitfall!
    Something like 80% of people who lose weight put it straight back on.
    You imply that you are 10-15lbs off your target. How come you don't know more accurately than that? Isn't being a stone heavier than you need to be a little bit worrying?
    I've asked all my slim friends and they ALL weigh themselves EVERY day. So if you want to maintain your new figure I'd advise continuing to monitor weight, calories and activity for a long time yet.
    You've done so well so far.
    Some recent research showed that people who have been on diets have vulnerable metabolisms for up to a decade after losing the weight. That's why it's so easy to put weight back on. The good news is that over that time your metabolic rate will rise (with good nutrition and activity).
    Keep at it, and good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Beware! Though you should eat progressively more as you get closer to maintenance I'm worried that you could be striding straight into the maintenance pitfall!
    You imply that you are 10-15lbs off your target. How come you don't know more accurately than that? Isn't being a stone heavier than you need to be a little bit worrying?
    I've asked all my slim friends and they ALL weigh themselves EVERY day. So if you want to maintain your new high-protein diet with lots of dairy and meat products might actually promote the loss of bone mineral density, .
    Some recent research showed that people who have been on diets have vulnerable metabolisms for up to a decade after losing the weight. That's why it's so easy to put weight back on. The good news is that over that time your metabolic rate will rise (with good nutrition and activity).

OP please ignore this advice. A couple of points to pick out (bolded)

First of all the statistics of the 80 gain and 20 keep it off is just that..Its a statics and has no bearing on your question in the least.

And mentioning metabolic issues to you? this is something this poster states in a lot of her posts on other threads. Ignore this please.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes when I got 2 pounds from my goal.. and that's why I haven't lost a pound in 2 years, lol.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds and I have 20 or 25 to go...what I've done is decided I am more than happy to take an entire year to do it. I've set my goal on mfp for 1 pound a week, that way on good days I've got something to shoot for but on days when I reach the end of my calories before the end of the day or I crave a treat after dinner I've got a cushion of 500 calories before I hit maintenance...it's going really well so far!
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've asked all my slim friends and they ALL weigh themselves EVERY day. So if you want to maintain your new figure I'd advise continuing to monitor weight, calories and activity for a long time yet.

You're focusing on the numbers. Some people don't know what weight they really want to be at because they never HAVE been that weight. I want to be anywhere between 120-135 lb. I don't know which weight I'd be happy with because I've never been there. I have to wait and see when I get to that point.

Plus, what if she wants to gain lean muscle? Muscle mass would increase her weight without gaining fat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congrats on your hard work! I found myself in a similar situation early Dec 2015. I lost 75 lbs and I was 4 lbs from my goal weight when I stopped weighing myself. I still watched what I ate, but I weighed my food less and less frequently. By March I had managed to put on 12 lbs. I was shocked. I started weighing myself again, still lax with logging, and took off some of the weight. I lost about 6 lbs (so, still up 6 lbs from low weight, now 10 lbs from goal weight). Again, stopped weighing myself. Traveled a ton all summer. Weighed in at the doctor's after an injury in early Sept. I was up 26 lbs from my low weight last Dec. Aw heck no. My clothing had just now started to get tighter. I wouldn't have realized it if I hadn't been weighed.

I'm back to weighing myself at least 3 times a week and using a food scale. I realize now that, even if I don't use a food scale, I have to weigh myself every few days to make sure I don't see an upward trend. You're not asking for advice, so I'll just say it's what I wish I had done when I got closer to my goal. The good news is that I'm already down 7 lbs from the beginning of the month, fast on track to get within my goal range by the end of December.
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

This isn't good advice. My husband has maintained a healthy weight most of his life and he rarely weighs himself. You know how to lose weight and you have been very successful. Congratulations!
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I'm sorry but every time you post it is some of the least helpful, unsupported, unsupportive, backhanded advice wrapped up in a nice tone. 1 stone at 139 is nothing to be worried about in someone who used to be obese. Why would you shoot someone down who has had great success and make them worry? She has a great state of mind.

Second post just like this one on another thread today.. ;)
  • bounciercastle
    bounciercastle Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Interesting, I am losing 1 lb. per week. My plan, when I get close to goal weight, is to continue weighing every day, continue logging every day (this is a life long activity for me because I can't trust myself not to slack off) and when I get close to maintenance weight, increase my daily calories by 50-100, small increments only and monitor that closely, to see where I level out. Once that 50-100 becomes normal, increase again.. until I'm no longer losing. Hopefully that'll do it.