How many calories burned stacking shelves?

Options
Hey!

Just out of pure curiosity, how many calories would stacking shelves for say an hour be? Hardly any heavy lifting, just light food products, but on my foot the whole time.
?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?

Your calorie burn will depend on a number of factors: Your current weight, the intensity of your 'shelf stacking' being two main ones. To get a better idea of your burn, I'd suggest a heart rate monitor or a fitbit. This has personally helped me determine my burn doing every day things.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am sorry but stacking shelves is not considered exercise .. this is a low impact activity and if you do this type of activity daily it should be setup through activity level. As this level includes daily NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenis) and EAT (exercise activity thermogensis) are separate.

But if you must, why do give your self 6-10 calories a minute.

Using a HR for house cleaning, painting, outdoor chores, grocery shopping is not what an HRM is to be used for.

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Using a HR for house cleaning, painting, outdoor chores, grocery shopping is not what an HRM is to be used for.

^This
    I never say anything, but seeing that someones put a 19 calorie burn in their diary for house cleaning makes me grimace. In my opinion, HRMs are great for tracking your workouts, so if you do choose to eat back your exercise calories you can, but mainly to track your progress. Managed to burn 200 calories in X amount of time? Try for 220 next time, etc. I wear a Fitbit Charge HR, and also use it to make sure I've walked at least 10,000 steps each day, because I seriously can't tell during the way wether I've walked 4000 or 8000.

Consider whatever calories you are burning by stacking shelves to be secret hidden bonus calories. Don't count them.
  • SuperChanges
    SuperChanges Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

^This
    I never say anything, but seeing that someones put a 19 calorie burn in their diary for house cleaning makes me grimace.

Think you might have looked at the wrong diary because mines says no such thing as housing cleaning on there haha.

And agreed, they are bonus calories. Actually I've found a website that calculates occupation and calories burned but I wouldn't add it to my diary, as I've said just pure curiosity :smile:
  • rsaulsbury40
    rsaulsbury40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    SuperChanges, what is the website you found? I would be interested in looking at it.

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's part of your Activities of Daily Living and is included in your assessment of your activity level.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Insignificant.
  • SuperChanges
    SuperChanges Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @rsaulsbury40

calorielab.com/burned

Enter your weight and scroll down the selection to 'Occupation'.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not enough for me to care about.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bonus burn!
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    mm. Dusting, waltzing the vacuum cleaner around the floor et definitely no more than normal daily activity (unless you're of such ill health that being able to do these things is an unusual achievement). Scrubbing mould off damp walls = blooming hard workout, according to my fitbit. I've never been allocated so many extra calories in a whole day of walking!

And stacking shelves is hard exercise, unless you've been allocated the unusually large bathsponge section in Tesco. Anyone else here poo poohing the idea of it being other than a normal day's activity ever spent an hour moving trays of tins of beans of cans of coke around from pallet to shelf and back? They're heavy and some of those shelves are high or low.

But yes, if you're spending 8 hours a day shifting something heavier than bathsponges about, you need to reflect that in your mpf activity levels.
  • anivad1
    anivad1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It seems like many of these respondents are under estimating the work invoked in stocking shelves. Remember that the stocker is not simply stacking a few cans; they are stocking pallets or partial pallets. So let’s say a person is stocking small cans of soup. The soup would come in a case of 24 cans. So, 7.25oz per can x 24 cans in a case equals 174 oz per case or 10.87 lbs per case. If the shipment included a small pallet of 60 cases of soup and one worker has to stock half the pallet (30 cases) then she would be lifting a total of 326.10 lbs (10.87 x 30 = 326.10). This would be a small pallet, so in all likelihood a forklift would not be used to move the pallet onto the sales floor. This means that before stocking the shelf, the employee would have to lift each case off the pallet, place each case onto a u-cart, and then wheel the cart from the warehouse section of the store onto the sales floor. Then she would proceed to shelve each of the 720 cans of soup. Additionally, the employee might have to squat to put the cans on a low shelf or climb a ladder to place the items on a high shelf. In total this employee has lifted, carried, pulled, squatted, or climbed steps while carrying over 10lbs per case for a total of 326.10 lbs.

This sure sounds like a lot of calorie burning weight lifting to me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    anivad1 wrote: »
    It seems like many of these respondents are under estimating the work invoked in stocking shelves. Remember that the stocker is not simply stacking a few cans; they are stocking pallets or partial pallets. So let’s say a person is stocking small cans of soup. The soup would come in a case of 24 cans. So, 7.25oz per can x 24 cans in a case equals 174 oz per case or 10.87 lbs per case. If the shipment included a small pallet of 60 cases of soup and one worker has to stock half the pallet (30 cases) then she would be lifting a total of 326.10 lbs (10.87 x 30 = 326.10). This would be a small pallet, so in all likelihood a forklift would not be used to move the pallet onto the sales floor. This means that before stocking the shelf, the employee would have to lift each case off the pallet, place each case onto a u-cart, and then wheel the cart from the warehouse section of the store onto the sales floor. Then she would proceed to shelve each of the 720 cans of soup. Additionally, the employee might have to squat to put the cans on a low shelf or climb a ladder to place the items on a high shelf. In total this employee has lifted, carried, pulled, squatted, or climbed steps while carrying over 10lbs per case for a total of 326.10 lbs.

This sure sounds like a lot of calorie burning weight lifting to me.

1. It's a thread from 2016. Most of those folks are probably long gone.

2. Standard pace weight lifting doesn't burn that many calories per minute anyway. (Still worth doing for multiple benefits.)

3. Commonly stocking is part of a job, which you'd factor into your activity level setting, not add on as separate exercise.