Is the occasional under 1000cal day bad?

Options
A few days this month I've come home and logged my food only to realize that it registers as under 1200cal but usually over 1000 so I don't worry about it. But a couple times it's been just under the 1000 mark, 899 or 786 or somewhere thereabouts. I wouldn't prescribe to a diet that required so few calories every day, but here and there it happens. If I feel okay, should I go "hey cool a few extra cal for tomorrow" or "oh no I'd better eat something or Bad Things Will Happen"?

Today I was in the 700's and so I had some cereal just to push myself over to the 1000's, but I had felt perfectly fine so I wondered if I could have just had something extra tomorrow instead.

I will add that this is extremely abnormal for me. I was really struggling to eat for 0.5lb/week at ~1800 for the longest time. It's just been lately my appetite has been lower than normal. I appreciate it, and it probably won't last. I do want to take advantage of it, but also not hurt myself, obvs. & also I do not have a food scale, and I do purchase "fast" foods like yogurt & tea at my school so ofc it's hard to know if that's accurate.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I think calorie level over time matters.

I wouldn't recomend extreme differences between days ( although some people do intermittent fasting,but I'm not sure how that works) but a day of 800 or so here or there won't matter, if it evens up with other days, ie your calorie level over time is where it should be.
  • squatsnotsquat
    squatsnotsquat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You have to record those calories from school snacks. A yogurt can easily add around 130 calories (a lot of it sugar if it's flavored), which could put you right where you need to be. If your tea is sweetened (bottled tea usually is), that could also stack on plenty of calories and sugar. You should opt for plain Greek yogurt (add liquid Stevia, vanilla and cocoa powder for yumminess) and unsweetened tea for a lower-sugar option. If you're eating dining hall food, your cafeteria's food provider is probably chartwells/eurest/flik, and mfp has nutrition data for that brand.

Also keep in mind that you will not die if you eat under 1200. 1200 is an arbitrary number to begin with-- the rule of thumb is actually based on your basal metabolic rate, which could be as much as 1500 (bmr calculators are available online).

It also will not slow your metabolism to eat very low calorie/nothing until around the 3rd day when starvation mode sets in. In the first 1.5-2 days, your body does not slow its metabolism because it wants you to have the energy to find food, an evolutionary mechanism. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to eat every two minutes to keep your metabolism up either. Your metabolism and blood sugar are pretty good at self-regulating unless you have a blood sugar disorder, because humans didn't use to be able to graze on constant snacks--they'd have to force down lot of meat all at once.

BUT, you do want to make sure you are getting plenty of protein so that your body doesn't catabolize its muscles, and give yourself a few high-calorie days here and there so your metabolism does not adjust to your constant low-calorie diet. This could be why you aren't feeling as hungry lately--your metabolism has lowered, or you're eating lower-carb/more nutrient-dense foods. If you've lost weight, that also lowers the number of calories you burn. It could also be that you and your body have just gotten used to knowing what true hunger feels like, and your appetite has lowered (common with dieters). I would make sure your low appetite isn't a stress or psychologically related condition though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am sorry, but doing this every once in a while its fine.. It happens, we get busy perhaps forget or no time to eat, or forgot what we ate when logging at the end of the day. This is where eating food has to come back up to the priority list of things you have to do to take care of your self and weight loss.

You might feel fine now, but if you do this for a period of time (and depending on how you use energy in day) it can start to effect you sooner than later.

I would not save this many calories under 1000-1100 for the weekend and I am particularly mentioned the days that are 700-800. You are putting even more stress on your body by making your calorie deficit even more aggressive than it is setup..

Do you and your body a favor, eat the calorie deficit calories everyday. If you have to add a calorie dense snack http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    You have to record those calories from school snacks. A yogurt can easily add around 130 calories (a lot of it sugar if it's flavored), which could put you right where you need to be. If your tea is sweetened (bottled tea usually is), that could also stack on plenty of calories and sugar. You should opt for plain Greek yogurt (add liquid Stevia, vanilla and cocoa powder for yumminess) and unsweetened tea for a lower-sugar option. If you're eating dining hall food, your cafeteria's food provider is probably chartwells/eurest/flik, and mfp has nutrition data for that brand.

Also keep in mind that you will not die if you eat under 1200. 1200 is an arbitrary number to begin with-- the rule of thumb is actually based on your basal metabolic rate, which could be as much as 1500 (bmr calculators are available online).

It also will not slow your metabolism to eat very low calorie/nothing until around the 3rd day when starvation mode sets in. In the first 1.5-2 days, your body does not slow its metabolism because it wants you to have the energy to find food, an evolutionary mechanism. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to eat every two minutes to keep your metabolism up either. Your metabolism and blood sugar are pretty good at self-regulating unless you have a blood sugar disorder, because humans didn't use to be able to graze on constant snacks--they'd have to force down lot of meat all at once.

BUT, you do want to make sure you are getting plenty of protein so that your body doesn't catabolize its muscles, and give yourself a few high-calorie days here and there so your metabolism does not adjust to your constant low-calorie diet. This could be why you aren't feeling as hungry lately--your metabolism has lowered, or you're eating lower-carb/more nutrient-dense foods. If you've lost weight, that also lowers the number of calories you burn. It could also be that you and your body have just gotten used to knowing what true hunger feels like, and your appetite has lowered (common with dieters). I would make sure your low appetite isn't a stress or psychologically related condition though.

Re bold sentences

Umm, No - it will take far longer than 3 days for anything vaguely like starvation mode to set in.

I didnt know this was popular belief - really??

and No, she doesnt have to opt for Greek yogurt or unsweetened tea if she doesnt want to - no particular merit in those specific foods.

• GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You need to buy a scale as well. If you don't have one, you may actually be having far more or less than you think you are having.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Occasionally probably not. Frequently, maybe. If your maintenance is low then it won't be as much of an issue than if your maintenance is 3000 for example.
  • GothamVeggie
    edited September 2016
    Options
    And a day or two lower is ok. Consistently that much lower can set you up for failure.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You need to buy a scale as well. If you don't have one, you may actually be having far more or less than you think you are having.

This is a good point as well. I am not sure how to incorporate bringing the food scale to school when buying "fast" foods there..

I hope the food eaten each day is actually more when logging those 700-1200 calorie days.

But the weekends without a food scale or days off from school are still at risk of not being accurate as well.
  • GothamVeggie
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

This is a good point as well. I am not sure how to incorporate bringing the food scale to school when buying "fast" foods there..

I hope the food eaten each day is actually more when logging those 700-1200 calorie days.

But the weekends without a food scale or days off from school are still at risk of not being accurate as well.

My scale is pretty light and not too large. You could easily fit one in your bag & bring the scale with you. They even have ones made for travel.

Weighing after school & on days you have off also helps.

Scales are also not very expensive which makes it easier.

• Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You may want to try and keep up your calories so that your cells are getting the nutrition they need to function.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    I'd say under 1000 calories a day is fine for 8-12 weeks as long as you are prepared to watch your nutrition and/or supplement.
    When we are dieting we live in a slightly unreal bubble - every day is the same. Buy real life isn't like that. When your body is working well you'll automatically eat more on active days than passive days.
    If you have been overweight for a while you can't rely on your natural regulators to work. So if you are regularly eating less than the limit you have set yourself you have two choices.
    If you've got a lot of weight to lose why not decrease your calorie intake every day. You'll lose weight faster.
    OR
    Unless your activity levels are radically different on different days devise a healthy eating plan to cover your calorie regime. Don't make up the numbers on fillers - consider an extra portion or two of lean protein, wholemeal carbs, full fat dairy or fruit.
    I'd advise that your diet should be something you'd be happy to eat for the rest of your life.
    Good luck!

No... 1000 calories a day is not fine not even for 8 -12 weeks. Bad and unsound advice and i hope hope that you do not make this advice often on these boards (but this is 3rd time I have seen it).. its dangerous.

Give me some proof that it's dangerous and I'll listen. It's the standard practice for those who are obese if you go to hospital or a clinic. The reason it's 'said' to be dangerous is that you can do yourself real harm if you aren't overweight. But anyone who's overweight can go right down as long as they pay attention to balancing their nutrition. (And ratchet up as they get closer to their target.)
    I've written to MFP on this matter and they agree, telling me they are trying to find a way of incorporating this in their system so that it doesn't encourage anorexics.
    However if you don't agree, you can still lose weight without going so low. It'll just take longer.
    PS I lost 22kg in a little over 100 days. During that time Ive gradually ratcheted up to 1450/day. Never once did I feel hungry or irritable. My hair didn't fall out and my muscles didn't atrophy!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that has never experienced this?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I personally try to avoid it. I eat under my calorie goal most days so I can eat more on others, but I try never to go under 1200 total. I don't think a very occasional day under will hurt as long as your average calories are at a reasonable level, but I see no reason to do it. Sometimes I see people on here saying "does it matter if I go under" and they're talking, like you, about eating 700-900cal and I think "why would you want to do that?". If everything is working normally, you should WANT to eat a reasonable amount. If you regularly find yourself wanting to undereat, i'd be concerned about why.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I personally try to avoid it. I eat under my calorie goal most days so I can eat more on others, but I try never to go under 1200 total. I don't think a very occasional day under will hurt as long as your average calories are at a reasonable level, but I see no reason to do it. Sometimes I see people on here saying "does it matter if I go under" and they're talking, like you, about eating 700-900cal and I think "why would you want to do that?". If everything is working normally, you should WANT to eat a reasonable amount. If you regularly find yourself wanting to undereat, i'd be concerned about why.
    This!!

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your great responses <3
    If everything is working normally, you should WANT to eat a reasonable amount. If you regularly find yourself wanting to undereat, i'd be concerned about why.

I'd say under 1000 calories a day is fine for 8-12 weeks as long as you are prepared to watch your nutrition and/or supplement.
    When we are dieting we live in a slightly unreal bubble - every day is the same. Buy real life isn't like that. When your body is working well you'll automatically eat more on active days than passive days.
    If you have been overweight for a while you can't rely on your natural regulators to work. So if you are regularly eating less than the limit you have set yourself you have two choices.
    If you've got a lot of weight to lose why not decrease your calorie intake every day. You'll lose weight faster.
    OR
    Unless your activity levels are radically different on different days devise a healthy eating plan to cover your calorie regime. Don't make up the numbers on fillers - consider an extra portion or two of lean protein, wholemeal carbs, full fat dairy or fruit.
    I'd advise that your diet should be something you'd be happy to eat for the rest of your life.
    Good luck!

No... 1000 calories a day is not fine not even for 8 -12 weeks. Bad and unsound advice and i hope hope that you do not make this advice often on these boards (but this is 3rd time I have seen it).. its dangerous.
    Occasionally probably not. Frequently, maybe. If your maintenance is low then it won't be as much of an issue than if your maintenance is 3000 for example.
    I am sorry, but doing this every once in a while its fine.. It happens, we get busy perhaps forget or no time to eat, or forgot what we ate when logging at the end of the day. This is where eating food has to come back up to the priority list of things you have to do to take care of your self and weight loss.

You might feel fine now, but if you do this for a period of time (and depending on how you use energy in day) it can start to effect you sooner than later.

I would not save this many calories under 1000-1100 for the weekend and I am particularly mentioned the days that are 700-800. You are putting even more stress on your body by making your calorie deficit even more aggressive than it is setup..

Do you and your body a favor, eat the calorie deficit calories everyday. If you have to add a calorie dense snack http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Yes, I don't want to do this as a diet regime! Not 8-10 weeks D: I am aware that VLC diets should only be administered by a doctor. (I agree, if a doctor wants a patient to use MFP to track, there should be an option, maybe BMI-conditioned, so only users who input v high stats & have a paid account can access it?)

To put things in a little perspective, I am 5'2 and 190lbs (in the "moderate" obesity category). My maintenance is about 1900cal - how I first started eating to try to reign in my overeating and junk food eating. I would like to get a food scale, but I'm also trying to not get too worked up about things. I did in the past & ended up quitting. There is no way I'm taking a scale to school to measure the greek yogurt & granola from Tim Horton's (literal fast food chains, no cafeteria/dining room lol).

I'm moderately concerned about the appetite change, yes, but I do think it's more likely - I've started increasing fibre a lot, and I've found a meal timing that works better for me. I'm not low carb in any way.

Thanks again, I'm going to take away that it's not terrible/I'm not going to die - but eating the cereal was probably for the best. If my lower appetite persists I'll ask the doctor or something. By "lower" I do mean that typically I'm full on 1400cal, with the exception of a few lower days. It's so different from eating 1900 and still wanting to consume everything in sight. I do appreciate that.

I did think, from reading the MFP forums, that "starvation mode" was a myth - the danger of VLC diets was muscle atrophy/inability to function on a daily basis? Is that wrong?
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    OR
    Good luck!

Give me some proof that it's dangerous and I'll listen. It's the standard practice for those who are obese if you go to hospital or a clinic. The reason it's 'said' to be dangerous is that you can do yourself real harm if you aren't overweight. But anyone who's overweight can go right down as long as they pay attention to balancing their nutrition. (And ratchet up as they get closer to their target.)
    I've written to MFP on this matter and they agree, telling me they are trying to find a way of incorporating this in their system so that it doesn't encourage anorexics.
    However if you don't agree, you can still lose weight without going so low. It'll just take longer.
    PS I lost 22kg in a little over 100 days. During that time Ive gradually ratcheted up to 1450/day. Never once did I feel hungry or irritable. My hair didn't fall out and my muscles didn't atrophy!

OP is 22 and a student. You and OP are in very different places in your life, metabolically speaking. Advising her to go VLCD because "it worked for you", without supervision of a doctor or dietitian, is irresponsible.

I just came back to thread to answer @Vegplotter.. but you did a good job! ''

I approve this message.. :)
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Re bold sentences

Umm, No - it will take far longer than 3 days for anything vaguely like starvation mode to set in.

I didnt know this was popular belief - really??

and No, she doesnt have to opt for Greek yogurt or unsweetened tea if she doesnt want to - no particular merit in those specific foods.

I would like to add that the OP didn't say she wasn't logging convenience foods, she just insinuated that they may not be as accurate as other possible entries. Also OP I would not recommend going for the low cal options at this point as you are struggling to make goal currently. A few full fat yogurts might actually put you where you need to be during this period of low appetite. Good luck and stay healthy!