HELP WITH MIDNIGHT MUNCHIES!

Options
So I go to bed. Go to sleep, and wake up a few hours later unbelievably famished. It feels as if I haven't eaten in days!!! So I get up and try to choose something healthy but it's past freakin midnight usually and I don't WANT to eat or add useless calories. Any suggestions?????

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself why you are so hungry in the middle of the night. Your body is trying to tell you something.

When I was 'dieting', I would wake up in the night with hunger pangs so strong that sleeping was simply not an option. I worked out it was because I was eating my evening meal very early (4PM) and not getting enough protein - So not only had I gone quite a few hours without eating anything but what I WAS eating wasn't filling me up properly! Might be something to think about :)
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water or having hot tea. When this was an issue for me before it worked, and then I transitioned to having hot tea at bedtime and the midnight hunger stopped. My favorite is a "winter spice" chamomile.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Eat more before you go to bed - save some daytime calories and have a supper.
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more before going to bed. I always have an evening snack around 8:30, usually no more than about 150-160 calories. It means I don't go to bed or wake up starving.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! Great stuff I'm going to implement them tonight!!!
  • LittleOneLoveLife
    Options
    I tell you what works wonders for night time hunger, CASEIN PROTEIN! its the perfect shake to have before bed as its a slow releasing protein. I'm a really greedy person but this really fills me up and stops me feeling hungry!
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Agree with above, eat protein before bed.
  • kristenlovesya
    kristenlovesya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know everyone quick response is to eat more protein, but I've had this problem and I actually had to adjust how much fat I was eating throughout the day. So I added a little more fat to my dinner and that actually kept me more satisfied throughout the night. Fat maintains your satiety levels as well. But I do keep boiled eggs on hand just incase I need something extra.
  • ttfnweight
    Options
    Interesting about the fat. I usually hit my fat goal before dinner. I'm gonna beat that in mind. Thanks
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    water, water and more water. If I was you I'd drink double what you are already drinking during the day.
  • ttfnweight
    Options
    Ok I'll try. I do have a bit of a problem drinking water. I'm not thirsty so I don't drink.
  • webyj
    webyj Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I woke up hungry last night at 2am. I keep a glass of water next to my bed and gulp that down. Usually tides me over till morning. Plus it helps me hit my water goal.
    The thing about waiting until you're thirsty to drink is that by the time you're thirsty you're dehydrated. I drink a quart by 9am, another by 12, another by 3pm and my last by 6.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    a face' greek yogurt 0%..is 100 calories.. eat a few spoonfuls.. or the entire thing.. it holds you over through the night and isn't junk food or high in calories..and just count the calories toward the next day.
  • jess427
    jess427 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's 2am now & i'm in a similar situation just woke up drinking a water and eating a caramel rice cake 50 cal slowly in hopes it somewhat fills my urge to eat anything else
  • ttfnweight
    Options

Thank you so much for all the help. I'm trying them.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    3am for me. In the same boat sadly. As per docs suggestion, took melotonin two nights ago- worked great, this past night, sadly no!
  • ttfnweight
    Options
    I won't do melatonin because if taken too much your body stops producing it naturally. If not stops it defiantly slllooooowws.