Motivation to workout

Options
I hate exercising!!!!!!! I keep making myself do it but nothing seems to be clicking. I watch videos on YouTube and get a workout in but I don't think I am pushing myself enough. I can't do floor work because I have a really sore low back and weak wrists. I'm thinking about joining a gym but don't want to end up spending money on a membership I don't capitalize on. Has anyone else been like me? How did you find your fire? Any advice?

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Exercising and logging came together for me
    Eat less move more get fit look good
    As I got fitter it got easier, just make it part of your daily life
    Good luck
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it too. I would get dizzy and feel sick to my stomach. My body just wasn't acclimated to moving around much. I did a 12 week program at the Y centered around beginners that taught proper use of cardio equipment and weight machines. As my heart and lungs got stronger and I started losing weight it actually became enjoyable and I started branching out into other things like group classes, signing up for a 5k and trying different things like yoga and kickboxing on youtube. My suggestion is to start out slowly. Go for a walk or a hike and just get your body used to moving. You will find something you love eventually if you keep testing the waters.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I found my fire because the doctor diagnosed me with health problems. I want to stay alive and have a good life, not the alternative. I've stopped kidding myself.

I joined the YWCA because it's close and I can exercise in all kinds of weather. It is also family-friendly. You can choose any exercise you want, from treadmill to rowing machines to classes like Zumba or yoga. They have activities for kids, too. Joining was the best decision I ever made.

You can read the success stories on here for motivation, too.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Newbethrn: your post made me think. "I hate exercising" you say. What I immediately thought was: I don't think I've used the word "exercise" since high school gym class - LOL. Don't think of activity that way. I do yoga and think: stretching, toning, strengthening and how good and relaxed it makes me feel. I do treadmill and think: energy, pink cheeks, a good sweat, a nice shower afterwards. I do weights and think: I feel so much stronger, my arms look awesome, I've lost inches, it will help keep my bones strong as I age.

Exercise isn't a punishment. It's an adventure of sorts. It is finding some enjoyment in what you are doing. Think of it as fun and reap the little things...and don't think of it as "exercise".

• newbethrn
    newbethrn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I know I need to change my thinking. I've made great progress with food now I need to do it with activity. There are a few nurses I work with that are incredibly active and I would like to join them but I need to get ready for that first.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you have a FitBit? or an activity monitor? They are very motivating!
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    newbethrn wrote: »
    Thank you all. I know I need to change my thinking. I've made great progress with food now I need to do it with activity. There are a few nurses I work with that are incredibly active and I would like to join them but I need to get ready for that first.

I notice you said you work with nurses, is it in a hospital? Maybe you can try a couple laps in your office (or hospital). Does your job have a big parking lot? Try parking further away and walk to your office or walk around the building at lunch. Set a small goal every week or two weeks and before you know it...BOOM!!!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    A couple points, if I may:
    1. You can't out-exercise a bad diet. Weight loss is about 75% diet, 25% exercise.
    2. If exercise isn't fun, you won't do it. Find something you enjoy, ease into it, ramp your way up, then expand your challenge horizon.
  • mayer3539
    mayer3539 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    newbethrn wrote: »

Make a plan. A reasonable one that will work for you. Say today I will walk x minutes or distance. Today I will eat one piece of bread not two in my sandwich. You do NOT need to join a gym. Use your house, the sidewalk, stairs or running in place. Evey commercial stand up and sit down. I have lost 15# since August 15. Still have 42# to go but I have a plan. #defeatinghighbloodpressure. Good luck
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I struggled and still do struggle with motivation for exercise sometimes. However, I always force myself to do it and feel SO much better for it afterwards. Make a plan, stick to it and you'll feel you've achieved something when you can tick your workout off :) Start off small, don't overwhelm yourself and just gradually build it up. It'll take some time but you will start to enjoy it!
  • newbethrn
    Options
    I do have a fitbit and find it very motivating. I also engage in competitions which help me push myself a little harder. I do work in a hospital and it is a hike to get from parking to the unit. I am always very active at work but I can do more. One thing I have wanted to do but keep making excuses and that is walk the stairs up to the 8th floor. I know I may not make it but I need to start trying. Tonight I vow to leave my house early and push myself hard.
    Raptor I have been really working on my diet and have been consistent for the past 6-8 weeks. Now I am trying to find that same motivation in work out.

Thank you all I need to take it one day at a time and not give up on myself.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to exercise?

No, seriously. Why? What's your reasoning? You said (at least twice I think?) you feel like you're not doing enough. Enough for what?

You don't have to do any exercise at all to lose weight. I assume that's your goal because that's the goal of 90 % of the people here, I don't mean any offense by it. But if you hate it, you don't have to do it.

But I get the idea you kind of want to. Like you hate it, but want to figure out a way around that.

For me, I like riding a bike. It's fun, it makes me smile. I don't think of it as getting my cardio in, I think of it as being outdoors, feeling the wind on my face and enjoying the sun. I look forward to it. I don't like running, so I don't do much of it. And that goes for all kinds of exercises. But with the bike, it's different. I don't have motivation to ride, I have desire. My advice is to try every kind of exercise you can think of until you find something like that, or run out of options.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I actually walk from the train station to school and vice versa. A lot of students do that as well as people who work. It's about a half hour walk and it's great because doesn't even feel like I am getting exercise! Just feels like I am going from point A to B! Maybe you could try something like that if it's doable? Is the girl in your picture your daughter? Maybe you can go for walks with her to the park or just walk around outside with her.

I also run whenever I am not at school (so twice a week haha... though it was everyday in the summer) so I KNOW how hard it is to get motivation! I have been running consistently for well over a year and still, every single time I am about to run I procrastinate because I just don't want to!! I think maybe you need to find an activity you really enjoy. I do enjoy running (even thouh I complain everyday haha) more than any other exercise and That's why I have stuck with it for so long. And I LOVE the after feeling! I think resistance is part of any kind of workout to an extent... just find something you can see yourself sticking with :)
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I don't believe motivation is a thing. You don't have to exercise (in the sense of "doing workouts") to lose weight. I've always exercised (running since I was 10), but only started losing once I started controlling diet.

There are many reasons to exercise. Here's the best overview I've read, backed by science! and math!
    https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/exercise.html

I'm in IT with an engineer for a mother and a math prof for an uncle, so I am very swayed by logic. Your mileage may vary.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you don't like videos or gyms don't do them. Just walk. Get outside and make it a point to enjoy the sun on your face or the sound of the birds. Listen to an entertaining podcast or audio book. Make it relax and unwind time, not exercise time. Have a treadmill? Set it up in front of the TV and watch one TV show a night. Before you know it, you're "Tread-Binging" on a new Netflix series! Find a way to associate moving with something you enjoy.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I treat exercise like brushing my teeth. Has to be done. Simple as. And when I'm there, I always love it anyway (genuinely).
  • newbethrn
    Options
    While yes I do want to lose weight but real reason is to get healthy. Eating right is the most important piece of the puzzle but now I need to get more active. You are right I am trying to find an exercise threat I love so it doesn't feel like work. I am thinking bike riding would be fun because it would give me so much needed alone time.